Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Le Mans Series: RML will end the season with a Coupe

Le Mans Series: RML will end the season with a Coupe

British racing team RML today shook down the MG-Lola EX265C, which will replaced their aging Lola based EX264 / EX265. Using a new tub from Lola, they transferred many bits from their open car to create the coupe bodied EX265C. The striking red, blue and white livery really shows off the fine lines of the Lola Coupe well. The car will be raced next week during the Silverstone 1000 km Le Mans Series race.

The more Coupes, the merrier!!

More images here:
    Flickr: ssasd100's Photostream
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Now theres a fine lookin mah sheen.

nice.
    i'm wondering why most of the teams are returning to coupes after a long run of open cars

Quote Originally Posted by 092326001 View Post
    nice.
    i'm wondering why most of the teams are returning to coupes after a long run of open cars
    My understanding is (as I'm told by Wouter) is that recent rule changes have once again made coupes the favoured path for teams.

What is the word in the R15? I've heard it was still gonna be a spyder - any new news?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    My understanding is (as I'm told by Wouter) is that recent rule changes have once again made coupes the favoured path for teams.

What is the word in the R15? I've heard it was still gonna be a spyder - any new news?
    It was clearly obvious that the Coupe shape of the 908 was not very helpfull during the 24 hour LM driver changes....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    It was clearly obvious that the Coupe shape of the 908 was not very helpfull during the 24 hour LM driver changes....
    It was a very, very small cabin though. It only had room for the driver

its the same deal for all the new coupe. ..compare any of the current ones to cars as recently as the 03 Bentley, and the greenhouse got significantly smaller, I am not sure what changed interms of the rules(cockpit dimension, the existance of actual doors), but all the new cars seem to be following Peugeot's lead with fighter cockpit like greenhouse and opening window...

The RML paintjob looks slick on the new Coupe....its nice that more people are moving towards that direction, eventhough I am not entirely sure there are much performance to be gained...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    This may be the case, but teams are flocking to coupes so somebody thinks that they are the right choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    This may be the case, but teams are flocking to coupes so somebody thinks that they are the right choice.
    I don't think this is a problem.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

There are more shots of the car on the team's own website, but considering the advantages of the coupé bodystyle, I think it's widely accepted that there are aerodynamic benefits, and these far outweigh any problems associated with driver changes (which can be perfected with practice!).

I'm not sure, but is it likely that the introduction of new ACO regulations relating to closed-cockpit race cars, which state that cockpit temperatures must not exceed 12 degrees above ambient, and thereby require the incorporation of an air conditioning system, has made smaller cockpits possible? Yet again, they have aerodynamic advantages over wider cockpits. Having seen the RML car first-hand, the cockpit seems pretty spacious, and Tommy Erdos reckoned he had more room inside the coupé than he had in the 265, largely because the central longitudinal "bar" that separates driver cockpit from "passenger" in the open car is no longer present.

Running an airco also gives them a restrictor break. If they get their ducting right, they can get some great advantage as they don't have to run the airco all the time. With the engine and radiators mounted mostly behind the cockpit, the temperature should be easier to control as well.

(Ted Joans)

Sure is purdy!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    Now theres a fine lookin mah sheen.
    Phuck yes. It's real slick like hair grease, but with less mess. Can you dig it?

I always preferred the closed cockpit prototypes over the open ones. They just look better, and meaner.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    There are more shots of the car on the team's own website, but considering the advantages of the coupé bodystyle, I think it's widely accepted that there are aerodynamic benefits, and these far outweigh any problems associated with driver changes (which can be perfected with practice!).
    I dunno about far outweighs....at least if 2008 Le Mans was any indication....the more driver changes the the less benefit the Coupe has....If you drilled your crew right and the driver change is contained in that fuel window(which maybe more now if you are diesel), then it should be no disadvantage. But if your driver change runs long as in the case of the Peugeot this year many times. You are losing more than 10 sec everytime you are swapping driver....and with the smaller cockpits now with the opening windows instead of actual doors, assisting the driver in belting up also becomes more difficult....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

I think we have to see what comes as part of the ACO's suggested package of revisions relating to pitlane regulations for 2009. It may transpire that any extra time it may take for drivers to swap places via a cockpit window will cease to be so significant. As for belting in the driver, access via the Lola cockpit isn't at all bad, and in some respects, the absence of the division between each half now makes things easier for a mechanic to assist.

Thread Information