Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: engines

There are too many to choose.

The Mclaren F1's BMW V12 makes a beautiful sound, especially racing versions with straight through exhausts.

TVR Griffith De-cat

Mercedes Mclaren SLR, with the deep, gruff blat of the V8, combined with the high pitched supercharger whine. (does anyone have any MP3s?)

Flat plane crank Ferrari V8's, the 355 De catted sounds more like an F1 car than anything else on the roads.

BRM V16

Rolls Royce Merlin (you didn't specify car engines)
    Thanks for all the fish

I think a chev 402/454 sounds awesome, especially with with a different cam in it, ooooo lumpy cams. Actually, all old american muscle cars sound great.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

It ould be ok if you where talking aboutamerican engines...why did you choose to post this in here?

Well anyways nothing beats the sound of a SB or BB for...the havemore a grunt then a GM engine....of course all v8s sound nice although olds and holden have funny fireing orders that give them a really weird note...
    Yiou havent heard and engine till you have heard a clevland v8 (imposted nascar block) pinned at 10,000 rpm whiledoing a burnout never hear anything like it again i would think

I have heard a sound of an Rt-10 not an SRT-10 and it sounded like a UPS truck...aweful. I have heard a 360 Modean and those are amazing. Also a 996 911 turbo sounds amazing too.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverG35SportC
    I have heard a sound of an Rt-10 not an SRT-10 and it sounded like a UPS truck...aweful. I have heard a 360 Modean and those are amazing. Also a 996 911 turbo sounds amazing too.
    I dont know what UPS truck youve heard, but the viper sounds amazing. At redline it sound like the 360, and at idle, it sounds like a louder vette.

yup vipers must sound pretty sweet. I have seen a mercielago going about 120 mph on a public road no bs!Those are really loud! I havent heard many vipers though. btw has anyone ever seen an enzo in person? This thread reminds me of a carshow I went to not very long ago where I had the pleasure of seeing an enzo. That car show is also where I saw the mercielago going 120mph.
    boobs

Quote Originally Posted by SilverG35SportC
    I have heard a sound of an Rt-10 not an SRT-10 and it sounded like a UPS truck...
    i agree with u about the old vipers...they sound kinda like too loud..but im curious about the srt 10...(ne1 know a site with sound clips)

what would u say are the top 5 best sounding 8 cylinders?

Quote Originally Posted by thinker
    8 cylinder engine that is...

The Panoz LMP900 race car is one of the coolest sounding things ever.

i raced a Mach1 in the caddy the other day(i lost ) and i dont know if the exhaust was aftermarket but that was one of the best sounding fords i'd ever heard
    UCP's Most Hardcore Burro!

Being human explains everything but excuses nothing

Quote Originally Posted by thinker
    1. 302 ci in a gt 350 coming off the back turn of limerock.
    2. 540 c.i. straight pipes
    3. 454 ci
    4. 402/396 ci
    5. 350 ci

I'm not into much any other cars than american muscle cars, other than small brit sports cars, so I don't pay much attention to other cars
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Unfortunately havent heard all the exotics you guys have. Have heard a Viper, sweet. Love V8s. My mates Torana is a 350 with very little in the way of sound deadening. Its sounds devastating.

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...2&postcount=52
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

My soft spot is for finely tuned straight sixes and V8's in general. Ive heard several XR6T's from behind and they sound like a standard V8, but engine note they've been described as having hints of BMW refinement. Most of the V8's around here tend to go along 2 general paths, and coincidently its the Holden V8 note vs the Ford V8 note. On a stock level the differences are the biggest, as Ford have a fairly solid burble right through the range, whilst Holden seem to go for a slightly quieter idle whilst they seem to put in a bit more of a rasp at higher RPM's. Aftermarket, i think its a bit hard to get away from a bit of a high range rasp when you have an exhaust finely tuned for power it seems.
    I am the Stig

Best sounding v8...we dick johnsons group c falcon was amazing the sound at idle felt like it made the ground shake!my father 351 always sounded good but last timewe started it up it blew the packing out the mufflers...it sounded better then but more then likly ran worse
    My fathers studebaker 304 with a avanti camand home made exaust really draws attention...
    Chrysler v8s typically have a good sound too...
    For Clevland engine have good exaust notes from the factory and aremore definable then the windsors we have here that said we have numerous 302s here that have some good notes....429s have great sounds too...
    440 chrysler wedge engins sound great and their small block sound quite mean too...
    Chev engines dont have the deep sounding exaust like fords But that said they still sound nice...also one of my dads mates owns a ute with a 540 cube lump in it with acutom madeexaust and that sounds really mean (it was the naturally aspirated Big block hp heros engine at the summernats...till it blew up)
    Holden engines are nice sounding but as i noted above have a funny fireing order that gives them a real strange note...its most noteable in a 253 at idle which sounds like alumpy 6 rather then an 8...that all changes once it gets upand moveing.....

Thread Information