Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Gear Australia

Watched the first two episodes thanks to the wonderweb

Have to say it was OK, coz after the comments here I was expecting it to suck.

OK, it has too much of a "copy of TG UK" about it and the one different part "what were the thinking" looks very VERY cheap production values

I can see me watching both UK and Aus.
    Accents don't bother me -- as a Scot I've learned to acknowledge the value of a distinctive accent ( can get American ladies all moist when necessary )

Loved the total disregard for the utes !!

Track showed differeing levels of sand/dust on it which is going to make a difference in times -- jus tliek the damp track at TGO(riginal)

It also is an excellent insight into Aussie society.
    TGO has in general nice looking babes in the audience with only the occasional rough one.
    However, see attached ...... wow, no wonder you Aussies drink so much beer, gotta get REAL thick beer goggles on before mating, huh
    At least the one arrowed green had the decency to hide behind the chair

PS: Is there an OZ equivalent of the TG audience applicaiton and what are it's "rules" ?
    UK has "We also ask that groups of people coming to the recordings have a 50/50 male/female split. This is so we don't end up with a bunch of ugly male car geeks ruining everyone's Sunday night."
    You guys need it much simpler "no mingers"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

haven't had a chance to watch episode 2, heard the ford v holden was a cop out. i'll tune in for season 2..if they survive that long.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    It also is an excellent insight into Aussie society.
    um.. not really.
    However, see attached ...... wow, no wonder you Aussies drink so much beer, gotta get REAL thick beer goggles on before mating, huh
    At least the one arrowed green had the decency to hide behind the chair

PS: Is there an OZ equivalent of the TG audience applicaiton and what are it's "rules" ?
    UK has "We also ask that groups of people coming to the recordings have a 50/50 male/female split. This is so we don't end up with a bunch of ugly male car geeks ruining everyone's Sunday night."
    LOL
    they need a shit filter, me thinks
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I'm fairly positive the one on the far left is IB4R's mum.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

You've never seen my mums face.

much like I've never seen your sisters front. I only ever go from behind.

As for this weeks episode.....It was better. they loosened up and the Mining challenge was actually pretty decent - I thought it had the right combination of screw loose & interesting.

But I'm getting pretty sick of the blatant Ctrl C + Ctrl V presenters. Short-ass is simply loud and obnoxious - like a Chihuaha. only you can't really punt him into the next suburb....long story.....

Charlie is still loud & proud, but his interview skills need work. His interview with Steve Bisley was pretty difficult viewing.

As for the much lauded Ford Vs Holden? Superficial is a word that comes to mind.

They're afraid to be controversial and thats going to cost them dearly. Another peril of being on a Commercial network.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26 View Post
    I'm fairly positive the one on the far left is IB4R's mum.
    I thought it was his dad, dressed up for the occasion
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

You are mistaken.

Dad usually goes for the blonde wig

And He/She/It is missing the David Brent Mo my dad rocks, so no. Don't think it was him.

We have the highest percentage of good looking females in the world. We rule.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    As for the much lauded Ford Vs Holden? Superficial is a word that comes to mind.

They're afraid to be controversial and thats going to cost them dearly. Another peril of being on a Commercial network.
    But do they really need to pick a winner? I think what they were saying at the end, mixing and matching bits between the 2, was the most important point. Bike mags do that, they mostly just highlighting the good and bad points and letting people make up their own minds about which would they prefer based on those points.

Plus, in the end, what would picking a winner have achieved?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

It would have shown them to be something larrikinesque - You can't tell me there are honest red-blooded "Australian" car fans who don't have a side or preference on the issue.

Again Top Gear UK aren't afraid to rubber stamp one vehicle over another - and considering the blatant plagiarism going on (same people making the show, whatevs...)......

I just thought it was an absolute cop out of a story - While they could have moderately attempt to review the most quintessentially Australian aspect of the Motoring field and they choose to simply do some brake tests & skiddies. Hardly comprehensive & hardly worth watching.

I mean, the didn't even quote Prices. WTF.

The second show was at least 40x better than the first, but the bar was pretty low. The moustachio'd cartoonist is painfully unfunny and I'm glad he was given a minimum of camera time.
    The test track film needs a lot of work, I have no idea what it looks like or how a car is going.
    As for the "What were they thinking?" board...What were they thinking?...let's punish the audience with 2 minutes of drollness.

I think it could be good, at least watchable.. provided SBS buys more than the 8 shows they've currently got.
    Horsepower wins races. Torque pulls trailers.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

I watched the first episode finally, and to say the least, I'm not impressed. They really should develop their own humor instead of copying all of Top Gear UK's funny bits. They should make it lots of testing (like Top Gear's original format) and so they get used to each other and the show gains credibility, and then slowly move into the humor.

If this keeps going, Top Gear UK is going to be the only Top Gear I watch.

Watched the second show and found it to be a lot better than the first. They still need to loosen up a bit since it still feels a little forced. I'm starting to like it and hopefully it will get the time it needs to mature.
    The test track needs work camera wise. I can't figure out the shape of the circuit or the corners from the shots they have. That makes it hard to figure if a car is on for a fast lap or not.
    "Some days, you just can't get rid of a bomb!"
    "Life is short, drive fast!" - Lamborghini
    "How's that for a slice of fried gold?"
    "I'll take the case!" - Harvey Birdman

Mah internetz have been down for the past 2 days, so I'm downloading it now. I was looking forward to Ford v Holden and you guys ruined it... buzzkills.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Mah internetz have been down for the past 2 days, so I'm downloading it now. I was looking forward to Ford v Holden and you guys ruined it... buzzkills.
    Well that ending is an anti-climax anyways
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    I just thought it was an absolute cop out of a story - While they could have moderately attempt to review the most quintessentially Australian aspect of the Motoring field and they choose to simply do some brake tests & skiddies. Hardly comprehensive & hardly worth watching.
    absolutely, no real tests or challenges, and not even an opinion i.e. "they're both good but for these reasons i'd choose this one" etc etc. cop out.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Thread Information