Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rarity of two seat sports racers?

7s ARE still racing cars in the "modern sense"
    The suspension and drive/engine has been updated since Colin's design
    Modern materials and CAD also provide improved chassis and C/F panels including aero parts.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Maybe true.. As much research as I've done and as many awful books I've bought about locosts and sevens I just really don't want to end up with one of those. A sports racer is much more desirable in my opinion, even if its from the 80's. Lets just say I thought caterhams were cool until I saw some statistics on lift generated from exposed wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSubaruSTi View Post
    Lets just say I thought caterhams were cool until I saw some statistics on lift generated from exposed wheels.
    A front and rear wing will fix it, mate has a caterham replica and runs wing front and rear, he has had it up to about 240kph and no problems with lift.

havent got a picture but heres a link of it taken at the last round of races
    2008_08_23-Historic Racing
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Why not learn the basics in something like a Miata then move to a single seater (SR or formula). For the most part two seat SRs don't exist in the US because there isn't a market. They don't make for good road cars even in the spirit of a Lotus 7. At the same time they are compromised compared to a single seat SR.

Actually over the next year a new two seat CSR and ASR will debut in SCCA and ICSCC. I have been working on it for over a year since winning the E Production championship in ICSCC. The first prototype "Chronos LMC001" is powered by two Yamaha R1 engines back to back sideways behind the driver, together they make make 390 HP without turbos, with a car weight of 1050 #s. The body is a smaller version of Acuras 2007 ALMS P2 car and is a real two seater. It has 1996 CC's and a rule change is currently being written to allow the 8 cylinder 2.0 litre car to run SCCA'S CSR class. Chassis LMA001 will have two Kawasaki Ninga ZX 1400's with turbos and a full size ALMS body. No speculation yet on HP but will be over 500 HP for sure. I'll post some progress pics up soon.

If you have never driven a open wheel car or a 1000 cc DSR neither of the above cars are NOT recommended to learn your craft, they are extremly fast and light, one mistake could be a costly one. The CSR will be geared for 185 mph, the ASR over 200.
    Last edited by Chronos CSR; 01-02-2010 at 07:19 PM. Reason: A word of advice

390 HP Radical SR8

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0D4WHMx_zA[/ame]

hmmm ecu mapped to limit to 97% of throttle opening ... or is it (more likely) just badly calibrated lging
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I believe its limited, the SR8 engine is two hayabusa 1300 top ends on a custom V8 block, while the engine is very strong they do explode at rpm's the single busa engine is just coming to max HP. This is why I kept the two engines separated, if one fails you simply shut it down and continue on one engine, providing there is no fire which is almost a given when a bike engine grenades.

Did you notice his windspeed indicator only worked intermitantly as well? The Radical SR3-4 are good platforms to learn in and as far as newer sports racers go are quite affordable, it can beat a Stohr DSR with the right driver as has been proven in club racing but the stohr at 750 #s is rediculously fast, also not recommended for a rookie driver, very little built in safety but sports racers in general owe their heritage to the days gone by of very dangerous cars. One can count the 5 litre ASR's running in the USA on two hands because they are scary cars. Mark Donahue once said of them "if your not smoking your tires from corner to corner your not going fast enough". He switched to Indy cars shortly after and was unfortunately killed in one.
    Last edited by Chronos CSR; 01-03-2010 at 11:09 AM. Reason: spelling

Oh, and this is something we road racers never talk or think about, flash memories are torture enough.

"Understeer is hitting the wall with the front of the car
    - Oversteer is hitting the wall with the rear of the car
    - - Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall
    - - - Torque is how far you push wall"

Thread Information