Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I need to vent this somewhere

Come on man, don't complain ! You are like 20 now right ? So you work for just 2 years now.. ? I've been working since the age of 12 and since my 14th had to give 50% to my parents for the household.

Not all jobs are easy and some people just are not so priviledged to have the brains or the luck to come higher up. I don't mind some heavy work at times, I won't complain about it even though i may not like it. I have done some shitty jobs myself. Think of cutting frozen cucumber into pieces in -7 degree Celsius conditions with nothing more than rubber gloves to keep your hands from cutting and freezing. Everyday about 70 crates of 25 kilo went through my hands. I hated it allready after 3 days or so but served out my 3 months contract, some colleagues with me on this same time were all unable to serve it out due to health problems or lost fingers !!!

The morale of the story, don't complain and work. If it's not nice work, then try and make the fun yourself by means of good jokes and stuff, as long as it doesnt delays the job.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    The morale of the story, don't complain and work. If it's not nice work, then try and make the fun yourself by means of good jokes and stuff, as long as it doesnt delays the job.
    Please tell me a good joke.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

His wit is beyond compare.

As is his grasp of Irony.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Please tell me a good joke.
    My house is made of wood...and my car? Well, it's also made of wood. Mahogany, actually. Yeah...the added lightness makes it a killer around the 'ring.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

My dad also builds houses (probably averages about $400-450/sf) that sound similar to your dad's, and I work for him in the summers. I do similar stuff, go pick up say two pallets of tile (~2500lbs) in my truck and deliver it (unloading it by hand), pick up/deliver lumber, lights, cut down trees etc. I started with pure shit work, digging stuff, moving around lumber, cleaning up trash on the job sites, mostly the worker's disgusting trash, moving stone and tile etc, gradually I've gotten up to more delivery guy, even done some engineering and materials coordinating etc. Basically, if your dad is anything like my dad, eventually it will get better, actually it sounds like you'll probably only have to do this until you know how to do it well, so it seems like it will be up to you as to how long you spend doing this. You think you have it bad in Arizona? Add in 90% humidity while doing that work, early in the summer I averaged 30 minutes until my shirt was completely drenched in sweat.

I bet the housing market sucks in Arizona though, there, California and Florida are where most of "those" houses were/are that caused this slump. Your dad could always move here and set up shop, the market is still good here.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Back in my day we built this city by ourselves..

on rock and roll.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by baddabang View Post
    I started at the bottom too. Busing pizzas for a restaurant that my boss owns. Let me tell you delivering pizzas sucks major balls. I worked my way up slowly. got to know everyone, and kissed ass until my lips went numb. I've worked for the same man since I was 16 for 4 different businesses. Now I have mad respect from a majority of his company with the exception of a few old timers. I recently got put on salary and I'm still not sure how I feel about that, especially after I got shafted into working an 11hr day tomorrow. Working under a self made multi-millionaire entrepreneur is really something else though, considering he started at the bottom selling shitty used cars hardly any profit at all.

Good luck with it Werty. Hope all goes well and your dad can trade that Z06 for a ZR-1
    I'm on salary, my paycheck states that I work 44hrs/week.... While I never work less than 60. Salary FTL, my hourly Assistant Managers can easily make more money than me if they find their way around 10hrs of overtime (Basically 50hrs/week and they're making more money).

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx View Post
    I'm on salary, my paycheck states that I work 44hrs/week.... While I never work less than 60. Salary FTL, my hourly Assistant Managers can easily make more money than me if they find their way around 10hrs of overtime (Basically 50hrs/week and they're making more money).
    Indeed. Salary wouldn't be a bad thing if you had set schedules, and hours. A teacher or government worker for example. It all depends on what field your in. My primary location is at a hotel (largest in town). Its fine during non-peak times of the year. However you can get reservations come in by truckloads very quickly and on short notice. When you have no vacancy's in a 110 room hotel and you just happen to be permanently short staffed, you can easily put in 90hrs/week.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    Back in my day we built this city by ourselves..

on rock and roll.
    YouTube - We Built This City

Quote Originally Posted by baddabang View Post
    if you had set schedules, and hours.... government worker for example.
    umm, not all govt workers. on the ship i could work 70+ hours while not underway. significantly more while underway.

now, while i am at school right now. for the next 2 years. im getting paid really well to have a normal courseload, and nothing more. last week i had a few classes that were cancelled, and i figured out that i was paid over 100 dollars for every hour i was in class. life is good.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

I think some of you mis-understood what I was saying, and I dont expect most of you to understand

basically, I was at the top right next to the main boss aka my dad

I was in charge of everything and everyone

but before I can take over on my own I needed to learn the jist of framing, but because housing went downhill/timing of our other projects... I havent been able to get this particular job until right now...so while Ive learned everything else from bottom up, Im now back at the bottom for a few weeks

It would be like a ceo having to do secretary work all of the sudden. I manned up and did the bs work 2 yrs ago. Im not complaining about the job so much as timing of it.

and for the record we are not in any way responsible for debt in America, we ONLY build homes for people that have this kind of cash securely in the bank.

Of course it could be worse, couldve happened in july...
    UCP's NO. 1 Source for Enzo & 69 Camaro pic's

My uncle was the vice president of a home remodeling and building business, and as soon as the housing market went bye bye, so did the company.

im currently building a house with a class. Were way past framing though. I do know what you mean because we had a professional crew next door while we were framing, they finished the house before we roofed ours. Those guys are truly nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    i have to agree with Niko. It does suck, but you will have a much better appreciation of the work they are doing for you. it will also provide an excellent tool in your back pocket for dealing with guys coming to you complaining. "suck it up, i've been through worse." it will also give you some leverage with negotiating, especially when you are younger than a lot of the guys working for you.
    yeah, because as an officer you have done a lot of hard manual labor...

I agree with the sentiment about being able to empathize with your employees, but it does suck being one of those guys, and knowing that you are getting paid less to do more work. Everyone should see both sides of the fence at some point, just be glad your not having to worry about having crap blow up on you while you're doing it.

Plus, it should help that someday it'll probably be your company, that should ease the pain a bit.
    "Life is better because sex is a part of it." - Valerie Lewis

Thread Information