• All/4 Wheel Drive

13 32.50%
  • Rear Wheel Drive

27 67.50%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 4WD or RWD on a road car?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    What about the steering. Or traction.

I could notice that in the 170bhp Mini. Imagine if you up the power.
    these sorts of things don't happen under normal driving conditions. Do you really corner faster in your BMW than in your Mini because of the steering?
    And traction with FWD is always better as it has the weight of the engine on the driven wheels.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    why does the poll not include FWD as an option?
    Because FWD=FAIL.

As I've stated before: The only advantages unique to Front-engined, FWD cars are cost, and in some cases space. A FWD car is automatically handicapped when it comes to dynamics & driver enjoyment and the only cars in which I'd tolerate it are in cheap (under £20k new) hatchbacks (C-segment and below). The only reason that I drive a FWD car is that I cannot presently afford a modern (less than 5-years old) RWD car.

It is superior to RWD in winter (except for rear engined vehicles possibly)
    For winter, the driver's choice is surely an AWD system that when not under pressure, sends most of the power to the rear wheels by default? That way the driver can have fun when the extra grip isn't needed, but can also have extra traction when required.

and more stable under normal driving conditions, which is what the vast majority of every day drivers will experience.....
    More stable? Isn't that more to do with a particular chassis/tyres? I'd certainly feel safer in something like a 3-series than a Prius (understeery hell).
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Thats got as much to do with the tyres & roadholding characteristics of the particular vehicles than anything else.

A properly set up FWD car can, in many cases, give the novice a greater drive than a 4WD or RWD.

It's also, in many cases, cheaper & easier to find in a vehicle
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

these sorts of things don't happen under normal driving conditions. Do you really corner faster in your BMW than in your Mini because of the steering?
    Nope. But you can certainly feel that it is more balanced than the Mini, even if you are not giving it the beans. Another advantage which helps this is weight distribution.

It's not a case tail out malarkey (altough it can do it if you feel in the mood) but the BMW is a car that at any speed feels right.
    And traction with FWD is always better as it has the weight of the engine on the driven wheels.
    Yep, but when accelerating the weight transfers rearwards.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Attached Images Attached Images

So: What happens when you accelerate (especially facing uphill) and the weight transfers (to the rear wheels)? Is FWD still "better" then?

There's some "better" FWD traction for you...oh, wait.

EDIT: Oh, and a RWD 1-Series does feel more "planted" under hard cornering than a FWD Mini.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

a FWD car would never have that situation though - because as soon as a wheelie is popped, foward motion is cut significantly

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post

For winter, the driver's choice is surely an AWD system that when not under pressure, sends most of the power to the rear wheels by default? That way the driver can have fun when the extra grip isn't needed, but can also have extra traction when required.

More stable? Isn't that more to do with a particular chassis/tyres? I'd certainly feel safer in something like a 3-series than a Prius (understeery hell).
    I compared FWD to RWD in winter not to AWD. I will be first to admit that AWD is superior to FWD in winter.

Stable, for me is that I can drive relaxed, without having to worry about lateral winds, rutting and tramlining...a mild form of understeer, as built in in most FWD cars will guarantee that. Probably I am not prone to carry excessive speeds into corners, but I notice that keeping up speed on motorway intersections regularly makes me overtake RWD cars like BMWs or Mercedesses, without feeling any of those dreadful effects in the steering that probably everybody else here seems to experience
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    a FWD car would never have that situation though - because as soon as a wheelie is popped, foward motion is cut significantly
    in such extreme situation you can always take the hill in reverse......
    and when I talk about traction, I mean when you have to get through mud or snow, not when you accelerate like an idiot....

EDIT: The only point I actually wanted to make is why FWD was not an option in the poll. (the poll is about ROAD cars). Given the fanatical reactions that my question resulted in, it looks like the option would probably have received few votes, but that another matter.
    Last edited by henk4; 10-23-2008 at 04:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Fleet in his Cadillac could greatly improve on that amount of smoke....

AWD Please

For me definitely AWD. In upstate New York we average 110" of snow per winter season (October through May) and its raining 80% of the time in the other season.

EDIT: The only point I actually wanted to make is why FWD was not an option in the poll. (the poll is about ROAD cars). Given the fanatical reactions that my question resulted in, it looks like the option would probably have received few votes, but that another matter.
    I have to say I prefer RWD but even so I see the point of FWD and some cars are naturally suited to it. And there are some front wheel drive cars that drive brilliantly.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I have to say I prefer RWD but even so I see the point of FWD and some cars are naturally suited to it. And there are some front wheel drive cars that drive brilliantly.
    Like mine!

.. Anyone want to buy it?

To me, it's not blanket RWD greater than FWD rule.. I'd much rather drive my car (850R) or the old mini I had than a Falcodore/Merc/American car, because they're tight, responsive and stick like shit to a blanket in the corners. I'd probably prefer it if Volvo's 850 platform was RWD.. it'd be more fun, but I'd wager I'd be initially faster with its current setup. That'd even out once I stopped going sideways obviously...
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

The 850 has, due to the design of the rear suspension, a small amount of inbuilt rear-steer which assists the handling.

and if you want to swap a bog-standard 2.5 GLE model for your car, lets do business

Def with henk ...

If it's road car for normal usage then it has to be a FWD.
    Less vices, less hassle, more forgiving, more space.

However the weekend car has to be a RWD Coz then any journey is for F-U-N !!!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information