Thread: Critique Thread

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by #1 Mustang Fan View Post
    I see where your coming from, the reflections were spectacular and TBH I was aiming to get the whole reflection in, rather than to get cram in the surroundings. I've attached the original and a couple of other shots from that day if anyone is interested, I don't see these as good as the first.
    Well, let's talk about this one for a minute:

First off, it would benefit (color-wise) from a little post processing... get the colors UP and some contrast would make the water like a looking glass.

BUT... from the standpoint of composition... first, you could have shifted to your left a bit and cropped off that second group of trees and tis reflection. It's not really giving us any more information about the location. Then if you'd have had the room or the lens to widen your shot.... imagine if the "V" of the reflection went corner to corner... so, our view started with the bottom of the frame completely in the water. Now... let's add lowering our point of view and have the camera sitting JUST above the water.

There might have been an opportunity to give the illusion of what a swimmer might see just has their eyes broke through the surface.

Obviously, I can't see what's outside the frame... so who knows, you could have been trying to crop out a bunch of drunks on a pontoon boat.... LOL- but I think you can see where I coming from when we think about ways to approach a scene or location. Try to back-engineer what your audience will ultimately take away from the picture.

Looks like a goregous place.

JT
    Last edited by John Thawley; 11-18-2008 at 02:43 PM.
    www.johnthawley.com / www.automotivephoto.net

Thread Information