Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadian Government to be Overthrown

Canadian Government to be Overthrown

... by rebels. No, actually, the three opposition parties have let lose and are attempting to oust the government form parliament.

As a bit of background for our non-Canadians (I am pleased to see this is the lead story on the BBC News Website for the Americas). In power is Prime Minister Stephen Harper after he was re-elected once again to a minority - albeit a stronger one. His Conservative Party of Canada got 143 seats out of 308 - just a handful short of a majority with which he could have used to pass laws with impunity as in Canada unlike say, the US, pretty much Ministers of Parliament are made to toe party line and when you vote against your party in votes you risk being thrown out of caucus. So, the three other parties, including the Liberal Party of Canada - Canada's typical ruling party, have reached an agreement. The Liberals (centre/centre-right) plan on forming a coalition with the New Democratic Party (centre-left) and receive support from the Bloc Quebecois (Quebec separatist/Quebec advocate/centre-left)/ The Liberals and the NDP combined have less votes than the Conservatives so the Bloc's support will be crucial.

Now, in Canada, there are certain critical votes in the house of commons called confidence votes - votes on the budget for example - which if the government loses, the PM is obliged to ask the Governor General (the Queen's representative in Canada) to dissolve government and have an election. However, we just had an election, and the people do not want to spend in excess of 300 million on another one. The Liberals and NDP were caught taped in coalition talks by the Conservatives (the NDP is seeking legal action in this matter) before the economic plan was released by the finance minister in which a plan for the economic crisis was not included and a small surplus was planned, as well as the elimination of the $1.95 of public money per vote that the parties receive in funding (I hate that parties get public money - right now, the Conservatives are rich, the traditionally rich Liberals are poor, the NDP always poor, and I dunno about the Bloc - but they are not happy about this). So, when the PM asks the GG to dissolve parliament, it is expected, and there is precedent, that she will invite the opposition to form government which they are expected to do. Apparently, before government forms, especially when there is a minority elected, the GG canvases to determine who governs - in Canada, that is usually the largest party in parliament although I suppose that the opposition coulda done this earlier but I bet wanted the economic plan released so that they could jump on it to get public favour. However, the Liberal leader, Stephane Dion is ridiculed in public squares for his poor English, his poor leadership, and unpopular policies. In fact, the Liberals have a leadership convention coming up in May where three have announced they are running, but it seems to me that Michael Ignatieff will win this and if all goes to the opposition's plan, will accede to the position of Prime Minister when Stephane Dion steps down. The NDP will receive 6/24 cabinet positions and will push for more economic stimulus or bailout packages. I was hoping that the Liberals and NDP would form a coalition and Obama would win, and it looks like I'll get my wishes granted. However, the way this has gone down I think is gonna piss of many, many Canadians and the Conservatives may well get a majority next election if the population rejects this coalition. I think if the GG does call an election, which in my eyes is highly unlikely, I think the Conservatives getting a majority would be a great possibility as a result of backlash against the opposition.

Sadly in Canada, we are not used to minority governments and they don't often last long and end up not even being coalitions - the other parties vote with the government in large enough numbers just to pass legislatoin so that an election isn't called when people don't want it. Fact is, with 4 parties in parliament, and 5 with a shot at seats, it is hard for a party to get over 50% of the popular vote, so if we used proportional representation, we'd likely have coalitions all the time, like some European countries. I hope this works and am optimistic, but fear an even stronger Harper and Conservative party after the coalition. I think that the hope for them is that the economy cleans up (although Canada has weathered the financial crisis maybe the best of any Western nation so the media/government has told me) and they are seen as saviours of jobs and livelihoods.

Recently, people were talking about how boring Canadian politics were in the Canadian media as opposed to the US. As exciting as the US election was, it was still just a normal election - this is something that has not happened ever before in this fashion in Canada and is potentially more dramatic.

Also, Ted Rogers well known by Canadians for controlling all the media died at age 75. And the TSX had the 2nd biggest loss ever. Busy day in the news yesterday.

I've been watching this and wondering if it were really going to happen. As for jobs and making people look like saviors, just saw a story in the news about chrysler employees in Canada worrying about their jobs, with or without a US bailout. I was going to post the link but I've lost it.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    I've been watching this and wondering if it were really going to happen. As for jobs and making people look like saviors, just saw a story in the news about chrysler employees in Canada worrying about their jobs, with or without a US bailout. I was going to post the link but I've lost it.
    I see you hail form Idaho - just wondering what you were watching this on? I saw some CNN yesterday but they didn't mention it and their website had no mention that I saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I see you hail form Idaho - just wondering what you were watching this on? I saw some CNN yesterday but they didn't mention it and their website had no mention that I saw.
    Google News website. Has a nice variety of stuff from all over the world.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Doesn't matter

http://www.canadians.org/water/docum...uture_2025.pdf

CSIS is the Canadian intellegence operation for anyone who does not know
    The McLaren F1- The most fun you can have with your clothes on

"Live Fast, Die Young, and Leave a Good Looking Corpse" -James Dean, weeks before dying in a car crash at the age of 24

Quote Originally Posted by mclaren_crazy View Post
    Doesn't matter

http://www.canadians.org/water/docum...uture_2025.pdf

CSIS is the Canadian intellegence operation for anyone who does not know
    That is awfully long. I scanned some of it - it seems we are all gonna die?

All I can say is all governments need to be abolished. Step in the right direction?

I just saw ZeitGeist II in case anyone was wondering

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    No, not step in the right direction. People will just create new ones. Remember what early governments were? Despotism. It took quite a while to get to democracies, and while they have many problems, they're better than anything else tried so far.

I really don't want to have to wait through all that again.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

You're right of course, but still, who wouldn't want to live in a world without politicians?

On a bit more serious note, why's this happening in Canada of all places? You'd think something like this would be par for the course for almost any African country, but in North America?

A right-wing paper carried a column where if I'm not mistaken, the guy called it like a Bannana Republic but the fact of the matter is that this is how parliamentary democracies are designed to work. If not a single party can control government, then a coalition should form to gain a majority. This is what is happening. I'd say the same thing if two parties that were ideologically opposite me did the things the opposition is doing now - it is within the system and a viable option. Unfortunately, so often partisan hackery intercepts politics and so rarely do you ever hear straight talk.

A right-wing paper carried a column where if I'm not mistaken, the guy called it like a Bannana Republic but the fact of the matter is that this is how parliamentary democracies are designed to work. If not a single party can control government, then a coalition should form to gain a majority. This is what is happening. I'd say the same thing if two parties that were ideologically opposite me did the things the opposition is doing now - it is within the system and a viable option. Unfortunately, so often partisan hackery intercepts politics and so rarely do you ever hear straight talk.
    If they did talk straight people would think they were still slanting and then judge from there as if they were to find the truth...

But despise politics as much as you want (and I do) it's the next evolution over the "I'm stronger than you so I rule" philosophy. Who knows what's next? I keep hoping it will happen some day. Bet it will still be related to the original philosophy, though...
    Big cities suck

What upsets me most is not when politicians spin, it's when media outlets do - it's a fact of life but I mean what a load of crap. At least what I read was in the opinion column but a newspaper's bias I think often bleeds through all it's pages.

What upsets me most is not when politicians spin, it's when media outlets do - it's a fact of life but I mean what a load of crap. At least what I read was in the opinion column but a newspaper's bias I think often bleeds through all it's pages.
    I completely agree. The news is supposed to be unbiased, but for all the trash talking of Fox, everyone does it. If you have an opinion save it for an editorial page or bitching with your friends at a bar.
    Big cities suck

Kooper, I suggest watching Endgame or any other film by Alex Jones its like zeitgeist but does not misquote or mislead. I highly suggest to anyone interested in politics to listen to or watching anything with Alex Jones.
    The McLaren F1- The most fun you can have with your clothes on

"Live Fast, Die Young, and Leave a Good Looking Corpse" -James Dean, weeks before dying in a car crash at the age of 24

Quote Originally Posted by mclaren_crazy View Post
    Kooper, I suggest watching Endgame or any other film by Alex Jones its like zeitgeist but does not misquote or mislead. I highly suggest to anyone interested in politics to listen to or watching anything with Alex Jones.
    Looking into this guy one must ask a simple question. Is there is a New World Order that actually has any power and influence and are these conspiracies true or is it more likely that he is simply a businessman that realises that this conspiracy theory material sells well?

Thread Information