Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top Sports Moments/Stories of 2008

Top Sports Moments/Stories of 2008

Well it is early Christmas morning / late Christmas night, and I am awake and bored and watching TSN's Year in Review show which has their Top 10 Stories which I will include below - but what I was wondering was, what are the biggest moments/stories in your estimation? Keep in mind with TSN's view, it is largely Canadian/North American centric, and my views probably are as well as though I follow some non-NA sport, it is not the same as the NA sport I watch here.

TSN's Stories

#10 Brian Burke Story
    #9 Tampa Bay Rays First in American League
    #8 Boston Celtic Win
    #7 Brett Favre
    #6 Sean Avery Saga
    #5 Wimbledon Final
    #4 Roger Clemons Drug Saga
    #3 Tiger Woods (Knee Injury Battle etc.)
    #2 Kings of Beijing (Bolt/Phelps)
    #1 Giants upset Pats in Superbowl

Maybe the more Canadian centric I will explain.

#10 Brian Burke concerns the former General Manager of the Anaheim Ducks of the NHL who had a feud with the GM of the Oilers Kevin Lowe - he then left Anaheim and became the Toronto Maple Leaf's GM.

#6 Sean Avery who played on the Dallas Stars of the NHL made rude comments about former girlfriends dating other current NHL players (he said something like many in the league get his sloppy seconds) and was suspended 6 games and then kicked off the team. I know Dallas is not in Canada but this was a big story in Canada as it is hockey related. He also basically caused a new rule to be written regarding goaltender interference in the playoffs when he held his stick and hands in front of Brodeur - I think, an ingenious play.

OK, so I think that the biggest story of 2008 that I can think of right now is Phelps' and Bolt's ridiculous effort in Beijing. Watching those two men perform like that gave me great joy - I yelled and screamed when Bolt got the record in both 100 m and 200 m and did it when Phelps beat Cavic and when he got the 8th medal. Second biggest I would say was Wimbledon Men's Final - that was an insane match and was great to see the two best slug away for the big prize at the most prestigious tennis tournament. Well, either that or the Superbowl upset - I think I'd side with Wimbledon though and the Superbowl #3.

I think this year was amazing for sports with tons of great stories and moments - but then again, basically every year seems to do it. I think what really made it was the Olympics for me.

They also did a top ten plays and #1 was David Tyree's critical catch on the head on 3rd down after Eli made some crazy dodges in the Superbowl. #5 was a college or high school football catch and hit and it was the hardest hit I think I have ever seen one person hit another.

What says you guys?

Thanks for explaining some of those, I'd have no clue otherwise. After the explanation I remembered the story about sean avery, but only because the comments were about Elisha Cuthbert.

I'd have to put the super bowl upset and bolt/phelps at 1 and 2, but not necessarily in any particular order. I'm not big on tennis, so wimbeldon doesn't mean much to me, but I was cheering for the giants, so the super bowl was huge. Really the biggest upset in superbowl history. Bolt has some insane natural abilities going on there, and Phelps was just epic. Brett Favre has been big, but kind of fizzling at the end of the year, so I may drop him a little.

There's been some pretty crazy stuff going on in MMA, but I guess it's not mainstream enough to get on this list yet.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Yes, MMA is not embraced by TSN muchm, the national competitor Rogers Sportsnet has some more MMA stuff but still not major.

Also not the lack of soccer stories - no Euro 2008 at all for example.

Yes, that is a little strange. At the risk of offending half the world, I don't get why soccer is as big as it is, but it is a pretty dominant sport world wide, so you'd think it'd get more coverage. Especially outside of the US.

With some of the fanatical support of George St Pierre, I guess I just assumed that MMA was bigger in Canada. In the last few years with the support of spike tv, the ratings of UFC events in the US has beaten most sporting events (including the best that nascar has to offer and even football playoff games.)
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

1. Lars Boom winning the world title Cycle Cross in early 2008 and became Dutch road champion during the summer and also winning the Dutch Time Trial Title....
    2. Maarten van der Weijden winning the 10 km swimming race in Beijing, after having survived cancer in 2002, and then after having been crowned Dutch Sportsman of the Year, announcing his retirement during his thank you speech.
    3. Audi winning the LMS title....
    Last edited by henk4; 12-25-2008 at 01:49 AM.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    Yes, that is a little strange. At the risk of offending half the world, I don't get why soccer is as big as it is, but it is a pretty dominant sport world wide, so you'd think it'd get more coverage.
    it is big for the same reason that American Football is small....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    1. Lars Boom winning the world title Cycle Cross in early 2008 and became Dutch road champion during the summer and also winning the Dutch Time Trial Title....
    2. Maarten van der Weijden winning the 10 km swimming race in Beijing, after having survived cancer in 2002, and then after having been crowned Dutch Sportsman of the Year, announcing his retirement during his thank you speech.
    I don't follow endurance racing very closely, so did you nominate this because Audi reliability and simplicity beat the outright speed of the Pugs?
    Or was it something else?
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    I don't follow endurance racing very closely, so did you nominate this because Audi reliability and simplicity beat the outright speed of the Pugs?
    Or was it something else?
    Because Peugeot at the last race thought they had it sealed, invited 40,000 Peugeot drivers to Silverstone and then lost big time....(NB, this is NOT about Le Mans, but the Le Mans Series)

spain finally breaking their curse and winning a trophy again! (euro 2008)

Thanks, Pieter. I vaguely remeber hearing about that, but I guess I didn't connect it.
    I haven't watched much sports and I boycotted the Olympics, so here is my threadbare list:
    Superbowl.
    Lakers losing. (good for laughing at my friends)
    The Dolphins have a winning record.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Wimbledon Final.

/thread.
    www.myspace.com/kasaky

For me it's something like:
    10. Chicago Bulls getting #1 overall pick in the NBA Draft Lottery when they had a 2.something% chance
    9. Cubs getting swept in the first round of the playoffs
    8. Celtics winning NBA Title
    7. Hamilton/Massa battle for WDC
    6. Brett Farve Saga (Only this high b/c I spent the summer in Wisconsin where it was the number 1 story)
    5. Tiger Woods (Playing with a torn ligament and still winning? Insane)
    4. Big Brown going for Triple Crown and losing the Belmont Stakes
    3. Wimbledon Final (I sorely regret not watching it)
    2. Olympic History - Watching Phelps and Bolt is something I will never forget
    1. Giants upset Patriots - Greatest Super Bowl ever with the greatest play in modern football history, The Helmet Catch

I'd pick

North American open-wheel merger of Champ Car and the IndyCar Series

Giants upset Pats in Superbowl

LMS LMP1 battle at Silverstone

F1 WDC in Brazil
    Should Comcast, which is buying NBC, have more motorsports coverage on VERSUS and now NBC? Does North America need a racing tv channel? Find the answer to that exact question on facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Don't forget Van Merksteijn dominating LMS

Wait, so they have the Rays AL pennant, but they don't have Philadelphia's first championship in 25 years?!?!?!?

Thread Information