Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Golf GTi VS Golf R32

Recently I did a VW "Advanced Driving Course" at Kyalami racetrack in South Africa. I drove a GTI while some others drove the new R32. Before we got started everyone was convinced that the R32 is the definitive weapon on the track. This, however, wasn't the case! Even though the R32 was quicker on the straights, the braking performance didn't really differ that much and the same with the handling. You would have thought that the 4wd will make a huge difference, but to everyone's dissapointment, it didn't. What really bugged me was what the instructors had to say about the two cars. They didn't like the R32 all that much and insisted that everyone drives the GTI instead! Even though they did still reckon that the R32 is an awsome car, they complained about how VW destroyed that "sporty" feeling you get when driving the R32 compared to the GTI.

I preferred the R32 over the GTI before that day. However, after what I have seen and what I have experienced I will have to go with the GTI. It costs less than the R32 and it's just as good...maybe even better.

all i know is that i've consistently taken the top three or two spots in chicago region scca and at autobahn country club in class and yet to see a gti come near me and i am no schumacher.

i think superwaxer is talking about the mkV golfs and not the mkIV. i think almost all of us would agree than in mkIV guise, there isnt much comparison between the gti and r32. in the current gen they decided to make the r32 a bit nicer and not as hardcore as it first was.

what class do you run in for autox? i used to compete in g stock with a mini, and i could pretty well run circles around mkIV gti's, but the mkV were about equal.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    i think superwaxer is talking about the mkV golfs and not the mkIV. i think almost all of us would agree than in mkIV guise, there isnt much comparison between the gti and r32. in the current gen they decided to make the r32 a bit nicer and not as hardcore as it first was.
    Yeah I was referring to the mkV. Sorry I didnt know it was that onvious I just thought Id share my story because it was relevant. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Soloracer View Post
    all i know is that i've consistently taken the top three or two spots in chicago region scca and at autobahn country club in class and yet to see a gti come near me and i am no schumacher.
    My apologies if I caused offence. As I said in my previous post I was referring to the mkV Golf. I like the mkIV R32's and to my experience they are much better than the mkIV GTI.

what class do you run in for autox? i used to compete in g stock with a mini, and i could pretty well run circles around mkIV gti's, but the mkV were about equal.
    I ran in stock then street mod. Now I kart so the auto-x days are over.

Quote Originally Posted by superwaxer
    My apologies if I caused offence. As I said in my previous post I was referring to the mkV Golf. I like the mkIV R32's and to my experience they are much better than the mkIV GTI.
    no worries, i just hate how hyped up the MKV can be... forget about it.

I love Golfs and would be happy with either but it's a sports car and if I can't have RWD, I'll settle with 4WD. And whether it was actually the better car or not the R model is the top of the Golf tree so how can you not love it?

the gti sits comfortably as probably the best all around hot hatch. but with the R32 you start asking questions. what else can you get for similar money? you're almost into Evo territory. It may be more powerful but as previously mentioned also heavier. And you're still essentially driving a golf. I'd go for the gti any day. But if i were to consider paying more i would probably stop looking at golfs.

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    Aw man, I love both of these cars. I don't know which one I'd choose! Its hard desicion becuase their both classics.
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

The 2 cars are supposed to appeal to certain types of people. I think this seems a bit daft since one is effectively competing against the other. However. Each car has Pros and Cons.
    The GTI is historically the ultimate Golf with the best handling, performance etc. The R32 came along for what reason? I can't understand why Volkswagen decided to sell both cars at the same time. Anyway, the GTI will handle better, make you feel good about yourself, go fast when you want it to, cruise when you want it to. A perfect all rounder in a way. The R32 is supposed to be more hardcore, racing biased, more uncompromising, fearsome. However it's really not much faster. Other disadvantages include, fuel consumption, practicality, image.
    The GTI and R32 will both be comfortable going fast, however the R32 will not be so handy pottering around town or going on long journeys. The GTI's familiar 2.0L TFSI engine produces 207bhp and will get about 38mpg which is very impressive. The sound is nice and quiet around town but can still sound good when driving hard. The R32's 3.2L V6 produces about 245bhp but will only get 25mpg. Yes, the V6 will sound more inspiring than than the GTI's 4cyl at speed but it will get a bit tiresome around town or on the motorway. So my winner from these 2 is the GTI.

Quite interestingly the MkV Gold GTi lapped Fifth Gear's Anglesey circuit quicker than the current 4WD Impreza WRX, 2 seconds in fact. They both weigh around the same and the WRX has 20bhp more. Goes to show a well balanced front wheel drive chassis like the Golfs can mix it with more powerful 4WD cars. The DSG twin clutch gearbox is a must. I drove one on a Passat today and its so so smooth.

Would be interested to see the difference in lap times between the R32 and the GTi. I'm sure it wouldn't be enough to justify the existence of the R32.
    Last edited by TheScrutineer; 10-02-2009 at 02:56 PM.

Ofcourse the real best golf is the new R. It takes all the best parts of the GTI except has even more power than the R32 had. Better than the best of both worlds! Can't wait till EVO magazine gets their hands on it and produce another sensational article.

The R32 is going to die after the GTI-R is introduced. The superb 2.0L 4cyl TFSI engine can be more powerful and far more economical. VW are going to drop the large capacity V6 due to fuel consumption and emissions reasons. More manufacturers will probably follow suit.

Quote Originally Posted by group c n b man View Post
    The R32 is going to die after the GTI-R is introduced. The superb 2.0L 4cyl TFSI engine can be more powerful and far more economical. VW are going to drop the large capacity V6 due to fuel consumption and emissions reasons. More manufacturers will probably follow suit.
    GTI-R = R32. same car, slightly different name.

all VW R cars will lose the numbers
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

GTI-R = R32. same car, slightly different name.

all VW R cars will lose the numbers
    The new R-Golf is still called the R20.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information