Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Honda to ax the S2000

Not really news, they were going to do so anyway.

How come Honda goes nuts and cancels all of their sports cars all of a sudden? It's not doing all that horribly.

See, imagine if a company like Porsche did that?

Seems more like a knee jerk reaction. I mean, Nissan's not worried and they unveiled the 370Z lately.

I do admit that the S2000 is old and should be replaced (but the basic formula be untouched, just advanced), but seems like a bad idea, especially with no halo car for Honda.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    It is one of those cars that under current economic climate is one of the first things to get rid of.
    NO, sadly the resale values on performacne sports cars are so bad it's now as well to keep it.
    You can get UK RX-8s one year old for less than £8K !! GULP !!
    Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    How come Honda goes nuts and cancels all of their sports cars all of a sudden? It's not doing all that horribly.
    I woudl suspect it's their highest production cost, lowest revenue and possibly lowest profit line vehicle and so gets itself into the firing line for what to cut regardless of what type of car it is.
    SHame but no point having halo cars and going bust
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Not really news, they were going to do so anyway.

See, imagine if a company like Porsche did that?

Seems more like a knee jerk reaction. I mean, Nissan's not worried and they unveiled the 370Z lately.

I do admit that the S2000 is old and should be replaced (but the basic formula be untouched, just advanced), but seems like a bad idea, especially with no halo car for Honda.
    what many car companies do that honda seems not to is that they share parts designs engines and all that good stuff. The 370 is on the same platform as many of nissans models and variations of others. (G sedan and coupe, M sedan, maxima, fx.) honda had a different engine and chassis for the nsx and the s2000. they do share some parts with the accord and civics. gm platform shares as well of course they do it incessantly . porshce also shares a lot. its much more cost effective!
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    NO, sadly the resale values on performacne sports cars are so bad it's now as well to keep it.
    Just what JC said, something like "the last twenty years we have all been plaing musical chairs with our cars, but now the music stopped and everyones stuck with what they got."
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

They're doing the Toyota thing. Axing their sporty models (Celica, Supra, etc.) and replacing them with nothing but a boring image.
    All about the t-tops

have they not also killed the successor to the S2000?
    Horsepower wins races. Torque pulls trailers.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    I woudl suspect it's their highest production cost, lowest revenue and possibly lowest profit line vehicle and so gets itself into the firing line for what to cut regardless of what type of car it is.
    SHame but no point having halo cars and going bust
    Hmmm... Next thread is bye bye Corvette...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I know Monaro Country and Co. have been championing the ZR1 but it is really an embarrassing indulgence of a bankrupt company, The base model Corvette will of course survive but it will have to cope with market more interest in value/mile than value/HP.
    Horsepower wins races. Torque pulls trailers.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Hmmm... Next thread is bye bye Corvette...
    NEVER!!! AMERICA IS NO PUSSY!!!!

our open roads need sports cars!

toyota isn't doin too bad though after they axed their sports cars....
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Quote Originally Posted by coolieman1220 View Post
    what many car companies do that honda seems not to is that they share parts designs engines and all that good stuff. The 370 is on the same platform as many of nissans models and variations of others. (G sedan and coupe, M sedan, maxima, fx.) honda had a different engine and chassis for the nsx and the s2000. they do share some parts with the accord and civics. gm platform shares as well of course they do it incessantly . porshce also shares a lot. its much more cost effective!
    Thats what I suspect too. In Honda's lineup those 2 stands as the odd ones out. No other Honda shares their chassis or drivertrain(and they don't share that between them either), I am sure it costs relatively high to supply those 2 models and having to maintain the lines that does not produce anything else.
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    Thats what I suspect too. In Honda's lineup those 2 stands as the odd ones out. No other Honda shares their chassis or drivertrain(and they don't share that between them either), I am sure it costs relatively high to supply those 2 models and having to maintain the lines that does not produce anything else.
    wasn't the 2.0 liter from the S2000 the same you could find in a Civic Type R?
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

With the installation being different I'd imagine most of the other parts other than the engine itself is not interchanable. Such that S2000 would probably need its own tranny, intake/exhaust manifold, and probably other supporting auxiliary....

Also later S2000 having the 2.2 liter engine makes it unique again, since I don't believe it is the same 2.2 as used by Prelude before...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

With the installation being different I'd imagine most of the other parts other than the engine itself is not interchanable. Such that S2000 would probably need its own tranny, intake/exhaust manifold, and probably other supporting auxiliary....

Also later S2000 having the 2.2 liter engine makes it unique again, since I don't believe it is the same 2.2 as used by Prelude before...
    I think so too, just want to be sure about the engine.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

To be honest, the s2000 was the only Honda i wouldn't immediately turn around and sell if it was given to me for free. That thing was a pretty unique car, a really sharp looking small convertible that wasn't feminine at all. It was relatively fast, it was pretty, it used to not have much competition, and it had a sweet motor. I especially liked the old 2.0 litre one, I feel like it lost some of its personality with the bigger motor.

I dont think Honda is making a mistake getting rid of it, but I do think the world is loosing a good car
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

-> ...
    Quote Originally Posted by acuSI View Post
    NOOoOOOOOO i wanted to get one after i graduated college... and preferably a new one
    Im so sadddd
    ^ All hope is not lost, you can get a decent used one.

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx View Post
    A new S2000 is ridiculous, my friend got one for around $35k, too much money...

Here's a used one, 13k miles (practically new) for US $19k - And it's a 2005, so it comes with the 2.2L engine.
    ^ Mine is also one of the great few examples:
    - Sebring Silver
    - 37K mi
    - one owner
    - has tinted windows
    - Skunk2 exhaust
    - K&N CAI
    - USD$ 17.5K

Quote Originally Posted by Auxin View Post
    A sad sad day for car lovers everywhere. If a huge company like Honda is having to do this, then what about smaller less stable companies ???
    ^ I'd bet this will be only a short period only, once the market comes back...who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by P4g4nite View Post
    have they not also killed the successor to the S2000?
    ^ Yes for now.

Quote Originally Posted by TVR IS KING View Post
    They're doing the Toyota thing. Axing their sporty models (Celica, Supra, etc.) and replacing them with nothing but a boring image.
    ^ Um, was the Civic Si boring? I don't think so compared to the tasteless Corolla XRS.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    wasn't the 2.0 liter from the S2000 the same you could find in a Civic Type R?
    ^ No. The Honda 2.0L found on the Civic/Integra Type-R is the K20. While the S2K is powered by the epic F20C. The K20 is transverse-mounted (side to side), while the F20 is longitudinal (front to back). The K20 is suited for engine swaps to the Atom, S1/2 Elise/Exige, and the MR-S/MR-2 Spyder. The F20 and be fitted on any AE86's, E30/E36 3-series, and older FR-cars.

^ You're right the two engines are not the same or even related. The Prelude is powered by the Honda H22, the S2000 (USDM AP2) is powered by the Honda F22C.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    I think so too, just want to be sure about the engine.
    ^ Although back in the late '90s, along with other older Accord's and Prelude's, they do powered by the same F-engine family. It is pretty complicated to explain here. But in in the shortest term, the F20C/F22C are a different engines.

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    To be honest, the s2000 was the only Honda i wouldn't immediately turn around and sell if it was given to me for free. That thing was a pretty unique car, a really sharp looking small convertible that wasn't feminine at all. It was relatively fast, it was pretty, it used to not have much competition, and it had a sweet motor. I especially liked the old 2.0 litre one, I feel like it lost some of its personality with the bigger motor.

I dont think Honda is making a mistake getting rid of it, but I do think the world is loosing a good car
    ^ Word up to your words! Since the F20 delivers more smiles per rpm than the F22. But on an everyday mulling, the F22 is more rewarding.
    Last edited by Vanishing Boy; 01-07-2009 at 04:24 PM.

Thread Information