Thread: Huet Brothers HB Special

Huet Brothers HB Special

ABOUT THE CAR (copied from www.HuetBrothers.com )

Why are there only 12 cars being made?
    There are 2 reasons why we are only building 12 cars. You have to understand that we travel all over Europe to give enthusiasts the opportunity to discover different regions in Europe. The cars are transported in 2 closed trucks, 6 cars fit in 1 trailer. We only use 2 trucks to transport all the cars. The second reason is quite simple. Our experience has shown us that with a group of 24 people we can stay at special places, secluded and authentic. As soon as we have bigger groups our options for exclusive and hidden gems becomes smaller and smaller.

Why is the body from carbon fibre?
    Many people have asked us this question, thinking that the carbon body is too ‘new age’ to put into this project. We on the other hand have a different reason for the use of carbon. It is quite evident that if carbon was available in the late 50’s as it is today there would be no question about whether or not they would have used it. We are not trying to copy or improve those wonderful Barchetta styled cars – we simply wouldn’t be able to. But we do try to come as close to the authentic idea as possible. Form equals function and the ongoing pursuit of creating the lightest possible car.

Who makes the cars?

We ourselves handbuild the cars in our workshop in Holland. We only try to use old techniques where we can, the carbon body is made in a mould of course, but the mould was created by physically wire framing the body.

Why use a TR6 chassic and engine?

We thought about this for a long time. The TR6 chassis is a well developed chassis and the power train is a good solid basis for a proper power to weight ratio. To create a car that comes close to the original spirit is a difficult mission. We do not have the means to recreate the chassis and engine by ourselves, the development costs would just be immense making the experience outrageously expensive. Something that we don’t want. Another problem would be the current safety and regulations for motor vehicles. By using the TR6 chassis and drive train we enable ourselves to keep the car pure and to keep the car road legal.

Why is the HB Special not for sale?
    Our HB Special is not designed to be sold, it is designed to experience. What is the point of having a car that can’t be locked, that doesn’t have a roof, that is uncomfortable and designed for the thrill? You might say – but that is what I want! Then enjoy it and experience it but don’t be stuck with the hassle of maintaining it. You will only drive it a few weeks in the year anyway. Financially you are better off signing in for 12 events a year then buying it.

What safety features are in the car?
    There are no safety features in the car. No ABS, No airbags, no bumpers, no electronic help of any kind.

Why has the car not got a roof?
    The cars design does not suit a roof. When it rains you get wet. That’s it.

6 concept, renderings (or actually 2), from 2006

Huet Brothers HB Special 2008 #2

Huet Brothers HB Special 2008 #3

Huet Brothers HB Special 2008 #4
    Attached Images Attached Images

The news is that they also now want to produce cars for clients. Whether they have done twelve cars now is unclear. The car in different colours is invariably the same, but changed with photoshop.

Here is one of the cars they obviously had a look at
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

You can clearly see some Lister in that nose as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Duell View Post
    Financially you are better off signing in for 12 events a year then buying it.
    Does anyone know what kind of numbers are we talking about here?

Personally I think this is an interesting idea.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Quote Originally Posted by Pando View Post
    Does anyone know what kind of numbers are we talking about here?

Personally I think this is an interesting idea.
    I think that's copied from the old press release. This week they issued a new one, telling that they were going to sell cars, and making no reference to the question whether they ever built 12 or not.
    Another question is whether the client has to bring a donor chassis or not.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Nice concept for a retro roadster. Sort of a cross between the Mercedes SLR and an HRG twincam. Pieter, you mentioned client provided chassis... it isn't their own? Space frame would seem obvious. What are they to be priced at?

1954 H.R.G. Twin-Cam Sports Racer | Dreamwheels
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    Nice concept for a retro roadster. Sort of a cross between the Mercedes SLR and an HRG twincam. Pieter, you mentioned client provided chassis... it isn't their own? Space frame would seem obvious. What are they to be priced at?
    In the first post it says they use Triumph TR6 mechanicals.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    In the first post it says they use Triumph TR6 mechanicals.
    they may either have a stock of those, or you have to bring a donor car along, the site is not clear on this.

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post

1954 H.R.G. Twin-Cam Sports Racer | Dreamwheels
    you must have seen this HRG, it has been on offer by the Blackhawk Collection at Pebble for a number of years now. I think it would be much more expensive than the HB. They have not yet stated a price.

Thread Information