Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The time has come ...for an Alfa Romeo

Quote Originally Posted by P4g4nite View Post
    Need to get hold of a test drive to confirm.
    trust me, you don't need the test drive.
    they handle like no other fwd cars, especially the prev gen ones (see the lighter ones). Dad also had a 156 (220.000 km or so just with the clutch substitution at 190.000 km), and I did practice with it before of taking my license. It was simply awesome, so driver focused, agile and nimble despite the low power and heavier front (diesel engine, 105 hp).
    seriously, those cars are fantastic, and also the quality of the interiors is excellent.
    the 156, after all those km, had the driver seat in very good condition, while the Lancia Phedra one (PSA project), after 130.000 km was in worst conditions.

Obviously you have to check the car properly, and test drive the very car you would buy to be sure everything is fine (perhaps bring with you your trusted mechanic).
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Not meaning to sound offensive or belligerant, but thats honestly some of the worst advice I've ever heard you deliver.

Of COURSE you should test drive. Not only will it make the thrilling experience more visceral in your mothers ears, but you should always to that you can familiarise yourself with the vehicle and find out how it works in real world conditions.

just because it starts in the driveway doesn't mean it runs.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Keeping in mind you are shopping for a 56 yrs old woman, who probably doesn't care about handling characteristics or sound of V6 - why not VW New Beetle or Fiat 500?

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    Not meaning to sound offensive or belligerant, but thats honestly some of the worst advice I've ever heard you deliver.

Of COURSE you should test drive. Not only will it make the thrilling experience more visceral in your mothers ears, but you should always to that you can familiarise yourself with the vehicle and find out how it works in real world conditions.

Maybe I didn't express my self properly, or you didn't read the final part of the post.
    btw, I meant he doesn't need to test drive an Alfa to know how well it handles.
    but that he needs to test drive the very vehicle he would like to buy, as stated in the final part of my post.

Quote Originally Posted by leon
    seriously, those cars are fantastic, and also the quality of the interiors is excellent.
    That has been a major part of the attraction, it's a nice place to be every time you get in, something you don't tend to get in entry level Mercs and Bimmers, or Golfs.
    Quote Originally Posted by IB4R

Have learned this the hard way, thankfully got got the cash back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Revo
    Keeping in mind you are shopping for a 56 yrs old woman, who probably doesn't care about handling characteristics or sound of V6 - why not VW New Beetle or Fiat 500?
    'Interesting' is part of my criteria. Plus I hate the Beetle, would you take either over an Alfa?
    Quote Originally Posted by leon
    btw, I meant he doesn't need to test drive an Alfa to know how well it handles.
    I do, my current benchmarks are laughable. In fact, I wouldn't know what a good handling car was like to drive.
    Are they comfortable? We have pretty good roads for the most part, is the ride smooth or what?
    Horsepower wins races. Torque pulls trailers.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    My 60 yr old mother loved the Cooper S and now drives a 1er quickly in the bends.

So who knows...

(And even so, I wouldn't want to be seen in a New Beetle whatsoever...)
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

'Interesting' is part of my criteria. Plus I hate the Beetle, would you take either over an Alfa?
    It's not about me or you, it's about your Mom and what she could be interested in.

Or, is it really about YOUR new hobby car bought with Mom's money?

Most likely I am the only one here who has owned a car similar to GTV. There is no way I'd recommend one for me Mom. Too hardcore for older ladies, therefore I made less radical suggestions.

Are they comfortable? We have pretty good roads for the most part, is the ride smooth or what?
    the large 164 was very comfortable (same platform as the GTV you are considering), and even the smaller 156. the ride isn't too hard even if my Dad ended up having some back aches, but his back has never been famous for being a healthy one, and he drove even 500 km every day in that period (60.000 km a year back in those days), and I thought the ride was the right trade-off for a sporty sedan, and it wasn't creaking on all the small bumps of the roads

Modern day Alfas can be very reliable if taken proper care of. They can be expensive to run and maintain properly but its so worth it. I'd love a GTV but due to my height I had real problems getting comfortable in one so i'm happy with my 156, until my insurance premiums go down and I can upgrade to a 2.0L
    "When I see an Alfa Romeo go by, I tip my hat." - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Dantera22B View Post
    Modern day Alfas can be very reliable if taken proper care of. They can be expensive to run and maintain properly but its so worth it. I'd love a GTV but due to my height I had real problems getting comfortable in one so i'm happy with my 156, until my insurance premiums go down and I can upgrade to a 2.0L
    did you decide to keep it with you?

Quote Originally Posted by revo
    It's not about me or you, it's about your Mom and what she could be interested in.

Or, is it really about YOUR new hobby car bought with Mom's money?
    Nah, unfortunately it'll never be my car in any capacity.
    When I say I hate the Beetle, Mum also. And the new Mini and that PT Cruiser thing.

I do appreciate your input but we're looking for more fun than cutesy here, We'll have to wait for a test drive to see how hardcore a GTV is, I wasn't expecting much from the women I see usually driving them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon
    the large 164 was very comfortable (same platform as the GTV you are considering), and even the smaller 156. the ride isn't too hard even if my Dad ended up having some back aches, but his back has never been famous for being a healthy one, and he drove even 500 km every day in that period (60.000 km a year back in those days), and I thought the ride was the right trade-off for a sporty sedan, and it wasn't creaking on all the small bumps of the roads
    Luckily Mum's work is 4km from her home....but Nan's place is a good long drive...300 highway K's and then 100 of back lanes and twisty mountains.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    did you decide to keep it with you?
    Yeah i'm keeping my bella for a little longer, it makes me too happy to give it up.
    "When I see an Alfa Romeo go by, I tip my hat." - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Danterra
    Yeah I'm going to have to ring around and find a mechanic, A shame because Mum is good friends wth her regular Mech but he seems to be more of a general Camry, Falcondore, Magna guy....although he had no trouble servicing my E28 (at 1/4 the charge of the BMW stealership).

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    The 164 and the GTV aren't on the same chasis.

The 164 is related to the 9000/Croma/Thema and the GTV is related with the Tipo (as so many other Fiat and Fiat-designed cars actually).
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    The 164 and the GTV aren't on the same chasis.

The 164 is related to the 9000/Croma/Thema and the GTV is related with the Tipo (as so many other Fiat and Fiat-designed cars actually).
    First, I thought the Croma/Thema/9000 were a different project
    Second, I was thinking about the GTV/Spider concept, the Proteo, which is based on the 164
    Third, I still have some hard times trying to trust wiki

Thread Information