Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: My guitar

Thats seriously awesome! Love quilted Maple.
    Mines flamed, looks awesome too.

Great build mate!
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

there seems to be a lot of PRS players on here. not the electric i'd play if i had one.

regardless, your axe looks brilliant Colin. maybe you could become a luthier instead of any of those other career options you had considered.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    there seems to be a lot of PRS players on here. not the electric i'd play if i had one.

regardless, your axe looks brilliant Colin. maybe you could become a luthier instead of any of those other career options you had considered.
    It's one of those things I'd always loved...until I played one. It could just be that my local guitar center's PRS stock are all demos, but they are really disappointing to play. They are still the most gorgeous guitars I've every seen though.

Yeah wait just a minute before you tell me to be a luthier; only 4 of the 5 possibly pickup combinations make sound, the output jack is too long (I'm thinking this is a defective piece and not actually my own mistake), you can only reach to about the 18th fret because of a major planning flaw I made in the way the neck meets the body, and currently the strings are 3/8th of an inch above the fretboard at the 22nd fret and 3/32 at the nut, so I need to make a shim to angle the neck back. Aside from the fret access issue they are all minor, but still it's pretty disappointing.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Quote Originally Posted by crisis View Post
    Thats seriously awesome! Love quilted Maple.
    Mines flamed, looks awesome too.

Great build mate!
    Beautiful guitar man, that's the same color as my strat.

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche View Post
    It's one of those things I'd always loved...until I played one. It could just be that my local guitar center's PRS stock are all demos, but they are really disappointing to play. They are still the most gorgeous guitars I've every seen though.

Yeah wait just a minute before you tell me to be a luthier; only 4 of the 5 possibly pickup combinations make sound, the output jack is too long (I'm thinking this is a defective piece and not actually my own mistake), you can only reach to about the 18th fret because of a major planning flaw I made in the way the neck meets the body, and currently the strings are 3/8th of an inch above the fretboard at the 22nd fret and 3/32 at the nut, so I need to make a shim to angle the neck back. Aside from the fret access issue they are all minor, but still it's pretty disappointing.
    i've also never really been a PRS fan, but i have strange tastes in guitars.

3/8" is high on a bass, let alone a guitar. additionally have you thought about truss rod adjustments? that might help a bit. even so, it's your first guitar, and it's way better than i could do. once you figure it all out though, and if it plays nicely, i may commission one from you.... maybe.

Well, the action was easily fixed with a small shim in between the body and neck, and I had the shop take a look at the wiring and it was just a ground issue. So it is now playable, and it sounds GREAT. It's slightly awkward to play since I'm used to a much thinner neck, and because of the aforementioned fret access issues.

Let's see:
    Sound: 10/10 I really am impressed with how it sounds, even through my crappy amp (next on the list to replace)
    Playing: 6/10 The action is still a little high, but that's my fault for buying such a tall bridge, even at its lowest it is still pretty high. Fret access is limited to about 17 and lower, again my fault, but a much more major design flaw that I overlooked.
    Looks: 6/10 I don't think it reached its full potential for such a gorgeous piece of wood, this was my fault for rushing it. There are spots I could have sanded more, and I should have used a sanding filler before the clear coat.
    Fit & Finish: 7/10 I should have invested in routing templates. I'm pretty good at hand routing but on such precisely curved and aligned pieces it would be worth it. Also I should have done the routing and drilling before I cut out the body shape, this would have allowed it to be a little more precise and the strings would have been perfectly aligned. They are just slightly down from "center" of the neck.

All in all not a bad guitar, and it does sound great. Not bad at all for a first attempt.

nice review... shame about the action and the reach on the upper frets. as an acoustic player i cant reach those anyway, so i wouldn't miss it.

so how much did the whole project run you?

I want to say around $700? It was pretty expensive, but a cool experience for sure.

Wood $100
    Pickups $180
    Neck $220
    Parts $200

All in all not a bad guitar, and it does sound great. Not bad at all for a first attempt.
    It's really hard to get everything right the first time around. No better way to learn than through mistakes. You can only improve if you make more in the future.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    It's really hard to get everything right the first time around. No better way to learn than through mistakes. You can only improve if you make more in the future.
    I first read that as "it's not really that hard..." and I was about to go off. Yeah I think buying a book on the topic or something would have been a wise investment too.

God, I'm in love with how this sounds. If I could blend the sound this makes, with the playability, size and fit of my strat, it would be THE perfect guitar.

Installed the strap buttons today, last thing I had to do before I'm "finished" (besides the control cavity cover, which I can't seem to find at the moment) and it is very comfortable to play with the strap on.

You really should record some sound and upload it to UCP.

And of course, more pics when finished.

It looks good m p, better brown than red I'd say.

I need some sort of program to record with like an amplifier emulator. A microphone on a video camera would not do it justice.

ive ac ctually been looking into cakewalk. anybody here used it? seems to be the easiest for basic home pc studio setup.

it is very comfortable to play with the strap on.
    We could have a field day with the above.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    ive ac ctually been looking into cakewalk. anybody here used it? seems to be the easiest for basic home pc studio setup.
    Years ago in high school. I also have used ACID, both were very easy to record and edit with. Have you tried garage band w/ the mac?

Colin, any complete pics?
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Thread Information