Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fires in Australia?!

Fires in Australia?!

Anyone near any of this mess? Sounds pretty bad

Yeah, unfortunatly more than 100 ppl have died, worse even when some of the fires are man made.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

My condolences to people who´ve lost someone.
    www.myspace.com/kasaky

Current estimate 230+

audio + pictures
    A & B

ABC News - Video
    suggest scroll down for
    'Kinglake obliterated...'
    'St Andrews residents ...'

Yeah, I heard there are multiple cases of arson. But I didn't know the death count was up to 200+. What would be the motive behind such a stupid act?

I seen this on CNN earlier today. They reported that the fire can travel up to 100mph? That's kinda scary.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Quote Originally Posted by baddabang View Post
    I seen this on CNN earlier today. They reported that the fire can travel up to 100mph? That's kinda scary.
    Fast winds plus dry grass maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Fast winds plus dry grass maybe?
    Its not dry grass that burns quick but the crowns of trees which leads to the whats called a firestorm. The tree's that we have are full of oils and with the winds we had plus the dry heat you get a very quick moving fire

though i've heard that the fire front was traveling at more like 15 km/hr but with embers falling and the wind the fire can jump forwards a fair way ahead of the main front.
    Barnum's Law - You’ll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public

The dyslexic version of Cyco

Civil disobedience is still disobedience

Quote Originally Posted by syko View Post
    Its not dry grass that burns quick but the crowns of trees which leads to the whats called a firestorm. The tree's that we have are full of oils and with the winds we had plus the dry heat you get a very quick moving fire

though i've heard that the fire front was traveling at more like 15 km/hr but with embers falling and the wind the fire can jump forwards a fair way ahead of the main front.
    Wow. That is scary.

There was one point where the fire travelled 25km(15miles) in 4 minuets, so thats about 375km/h (234m/h).

Only some of the fires were delibrately lit. Some of the fires were caused by lightning strikes and other uncontrollable circumstances.

May the victims RIP, and their killers caught and put to justice. My thoughts, and am sure everyone on this forums thoughts are with the victims of this tragedy and their familys.
    I want to die in my sleep like my Grandma, not screaming like the other 3 people in her car.

There are 10 types of people in this world. People who understand binary and people who don't.

As we've been discussing in the gallah sessions thread - I hope the arsons DIAF. slowly.

Another forum I belong to (nissansilvia.com) has lost two members and a full family - with another two memebers houses confirmed burnt down and lost contact. We're hoping they're okay.

To all sydney members, We're holding a charity cruise on THIS SUNDAY from the Great Western Highway to La Perouse, asking for monetary donations that will go to the red cross to the fire relief program.

Nissansilvia.com -> Hardtuned #5 - Charity Cruse - Victorian Fires! - Hardtuned.net
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

also, can see the fires from space:

Satellite image of bushfires in southeast Australia taken Feb. 7, 2009. NASA image courtesy the MODIS Rapid Response Team, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center | Universe Today

dunno if true, taken from other forum:
    Don't know how to feel....someone I know charged with Narre fires....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't post this earlier because we weren't sure......

But someone we know via the construction industry traps has been charged with causing the fires in Narre Warren

Please don't get me wrong - he isn't a fire bug just didn't think and was working on the day and used an angle grinder on the job.... Which I think a lot of guys have done at some time or other....

The sparks started a small fire and he called the CFA and they came and put it out but now they think that embers from that fire caused the fires\ that caused the loss of homes in Narre Warren......

I don't get it ....being a country girl you always KNOW that you NEVER use power tools on a total fire ban day..... We never even took a bike or car out just in case the undercarriage started a heat fire.....

He's been charged with Conduct Endangering Life and also ignoring Total Fire Ban....

I feel so torn... knowing this man and knowing what a great guy he is and the first to be involved in a situation like this to help I just want to go and give him a big hug and say we're there for you ....

But there is this other part of me - the farm girl part that wants to smack him in the head and say Why didn't you know better???.......

As DF says ....nothing stops a Victorian working but I just thought that with all the media coverage on Friday saying how bad conditions were going to be on Sat he would have paid attention.....

I am so scared for him and his partner.... if his name is publicised I hate to think what is going to happen to him....
    And I am worried for his state of mind.....he's going to be hurting himself more than what the courts can do....

But of course there are the poor people who lost their homes and belongings....
    also, two kids have been caught for lighting the fires in another area.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I can understand the guy using power tools as an inadvertant source of ignition.

I feel for him. But he should have known better.

F*ck the kids in the ass. Send them to iraq with pink jumpsuits.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

ach
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

^^ combination of post #12 and this last pic above is pretty much what I saw from my old house at Michelago in 2003

I'll never forget it..

Thread Information