Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F1 Teams to get technical freedom in exchange for $30m cost cap

F1 Teams to get technical freedom in exchange for $30m cost cap

The FIA has announced that from 2010, teams will be allowed more technical freedom if they agree to a cost cap of $30million, to cover ‘expenditure of any kind’. Teams will also be free to instead continue running under the existing rules, which are to remain stable until 2012.

The teams that accept the cost cap will be granted technical freedoms in three main areas: a more aerodynamically efficient (but standard) under body; movable wings; and an engine which is not subject to a rev limit or a development freeze.

To ensure that the cost-capped cars have neither an advantage nor a disadvantage when compared to cars running to the existing rules, the FIA will retain the right to adjust elements of these freedoms.

The FIA says the move provides, in essence, a choice between (i) the current freedom to spend and continued adherence to the existing technical constraints and (ii) a new degree of freedom to innovate technically but with a severely restricted budget.

According to the FIA, the aim is to make it easier for new teams to enter and also allow existing teams to participate on much reduced budgets should they so choose.
    Teams to get technical freedom in exchange for $30m cost cap

This sounds like a very interesting idea. Garden shed engineering? Cheap development for massive performance gain...
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

I cant see the established teams going that route. Effectively their current system at least gives them a certain level of knowns. The budget cap teams will likely have the goal posts moved on them every couple of races .
    I am the Stig

I really like the new proposal set forth by the FIA.

I really think that all teams must adhere to the budget cap. It shows that F1 is contemporary and efficient, not the slow moving dinosaur-manufacturers spending millions of dollars on useless things such as lighter paint..

I don't see the reason for which there should be the option between budget cap or not. Everyone must adhere to the cap in my opinion. As far as top teams are concerned, only the drivers salaries are more than the budget cap, so I don't see them opting for the cap.

Exciting news from the F1 front...
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

This will result in a new field of creative bookkeeping....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    This.

As long as this budget cap does not jeopardise the drivers, team and spectators´ safety, I´m not opposed to the idea.
    www.myspace.com/kasaky

I worked at Repco Brabham/Repco Engine Developments in my early 20s and although a great deal of surperb work was done on the drawing board quite a bit of the really creative work was done by old school cut, drill, grind, weld, hit, miss, test and then drawn if it worked. I feel a budget cap is the best way to go as it would enhance true real world innovation and make the compertition/racing much more of a spectical.
    regards
    Reg

I think that fpv_gtho and henk are correct. The major/richer teams will either adamantly oppose this or adopt some creative new form of record keeping.
    Though the idea of a de-limited (but it seems, no unlimited) appeals greatly to me, I don't think that it will either be instated or be instated effectively.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    The budget cap teams will likely have the goal posts moved on them every couple of races .
    Bingo. As soon as someone on the cap comes up with something revolutionary that works really well it'll get stomped on and banned.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by lightweight View Post
    I really like the new proposal set forth by the FIA.

I really think that all teams must adhere to the budget cap. It shows that F1 is contemporary and efficient, not the slow moving dinosaur-manufacturers spending millions of dollars on useless things such as lighter paint..

I don't see the reason for which there should be the option between budget cap or not. Everyone must adhere to the cap in my opinion. As far as top teams are concerned, only the drivers salaries are more than the budget cap, so I don't see them opting for the cap.

Exciting news from the F1 front...

The FIA doesnt have the power under EU legislation to mandate a budget cap. Thats why this is voluntary, with the allowance for more technology as bait.
    I am the Stig

Budget capped teams won't have enough money to try and radical and cool shit, me thinks.
    ...Utah! Get me two...

Quote Originally Posted by nopassn View Post
    Budget capped teams won't have enough money to try and radical and cool shit, me thinks.
    $30 million is far too slim.

$90 million is provides more freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by nopassn View Post
    Well precisely, won't the budget cap make teams think outside the box isntead of spending more money to improve some tenths of a second?

As far as the spending could be controled I'm for it.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Well precisely, won't the budget cap make teams think outside the box isntead of spending more money to improve some tenths of a second?

As far as the spending could be controled I'm for it.
    I think some teams already started thinking outside the box and got warned by FIA that they are working outside the "spirit" of the regulations.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I think some teams already started thinking outside the box and got warned by FIA that they are working outside the "spirit" of the regulations.
    This.

I agree. On one hand I like the idea as I strongly suspect with and honest $30m and a loose rule book it would be quite possible to turn faster laps than the current cars with no loss in safety.

The problem is what is covered under that $30m? How do we make sure say Ferrari doesn't start spending big bucks on "other" race R&D. The NFL did a great job with team salary caps. The caps did a great job of leveling the playing field and making "budget" a factor when building a team. It would be very interesting to see the same thing applied in F1. Now you would have to trade off say a bit of weight in a part to make it cost $5k less.

Of course, it's easy to see how much an NFL team pays it's players. It's much harder to figure out how much a team really spent on a race season. If, and this is a big if, they can figure out how to make this work I think it will be great.

Thread Information