Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Passed my driving test!

Congrats on passing. I remember passing my test. It is very rewarding.
    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    -Rita Mae Brown-

I'm sure you've probably heard all sides of the new driver stories but it takes about a year or so to actually get comfortable behind the wheel.. and maybe another 3-5 before one could be considered a good driver. At least in my opinion anyway. Take it easy at first and remember not to panic, I found that panicking when behind the wheel always makes things worse.

I'm sure you'll do alright.

P.S. Like Matra said, an advanced driving course is always a good idea, especially with the insurance rate drop associated with it.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Congrats, have fun and be carefull
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    I'm sure you've probably heard all sides of the new driver stories but it takes about a year or so to actually get comfortable behind the wheel.. and maybe another 3-5 before one could be considered a good driver. At least in my opinion anyway. Take it easy at first and remember not to panic, I found that panicking when behind the wheel always makes things worse.

I'm sure you'll do alright.

P.S. Like Matra said, an advanced driving course is always a good idea, especially with the insurance rate drop associated with it.
    thanks for the tips. i do try to anticipate all the bad things that can happen especially in congested traffic and fast roads so that i dont have to panic when anything does happen. obviously in the years ahead i'll come across some people who dont deserve to have a license but many people say the time after you pass your test is when you really start to learn to drive. So like you say I'm gonna take it easy. Not get cocky. and just follow the code regardless of what other drivers behave like.

I've got the prices for pass plus. My parents are nagging me to go for it and it does seem handy. I just have to decide whether saving up for a car at this point is more important since it's taken so long to get to this milestone.

Quote Originally Posted by coolieman1220 View Post
    I wouldn't exactly call that power happy....
    Trust me. After learning in a 1.2L Fiesta for 18 months and then going on the road in what is effectively the diesel golf GTI is a big jump. I just have to tell myself the power is there but i dont need to use it. Its just less of a city-car so it takes some getting used to at low revs.

"parents nagging" .... oportunity to tap them for some of the Pass-Plus costs then

yes that would change things

currently looking at a 2000 Vauxhall Corsa 1.0L 12V, at around £900 (my budget for first car) and the lowest quote on insurance alone for my first year of driving is £1250. How can insurance cost more than the car itself..

bad times!

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik View Post
    currently looking at a 2000 Vauxhall Corsa 1.0L 12V, at around £900 (my budget for first car) and the lowest quote on insurance alone for my first year of driving is £1250. How can insurance cost more than the car itself..

bad times!
    not bad times, but bad insurance companies, yes.
    it has always been like that, and even worst, depending on where you specifically live.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

how come you waited so long?
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik View Post

bad times!
    jesus. it's like they don't want people driving!
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    it has always been like that, and even worst, depending on where you specifically live.
    yup, depends on age too.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    jesus. it's like they don't want people driving!

yup, depends on age too.
    I'd say it's age mainly. Here until you're 25 you've pretty much had it...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

There's a Mazda for sale somewhere under budget
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    The problem is all of the idiots who pass their test and think they rule the road are the ones who crash and make insurance companies think every guy under the age of 21 is a boyracer. Whereas those of us who actually drive properly have to pay the price.. and I live in an expensive area so you would expect that the standard of driving here would be higher and therefore insurance lower.. ridiculous!

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    jesus. it's like they don't want people driving
    exactly what I said. And with this proposed plan that the UK government is talking about paying people with 6+ year old cars £2,000 to get them off the road and scrapped, it means that first time buyers wont be able to get a reasonably priced used car on the market unless they're well made with money.

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    how come you waited so long?
    Almost all people my age that I know who are driving either had their lessons payed for by their parents or had help. I on the other hand had to find the money for it while being at college full time. The lessons/tests are hella expensive over here..

Hi Guys

I'm in need of some serious car-lover help. I'm looking for my first car. Specifially a "Vauxhall Corsa 1.2i 16v SXI 3dr". Around the 2001-2003 age group. I've looked at 16 already in the past 2 weeks. Not one has been in good enough condition to be worth putting an offer in for. Or has been over our budget. Which is £2500. I'm starting to realise that the model I'm after is aimed towards young male drivers like me, and they dont tend to look after them. So the second hand market is littered with bad examples. I've been avoiding things french typically because of bad experiences with reliability and build quality etc. I'm of the opinion a fiesta or corsa is probably the best way to go but really cant find any great examples..

if anyone has any advice that'd be great. cheers!
    Last edited by Cotterik; 04-30-2009 at 05:31 AM.

A Fiesta is always going to be a more fun Driving Experience. the Parry-Jones effect assures that.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Thread Information