Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Insignia VXR almost revealed?

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    how long have you been here? and you dont know what an opel is? or an insignia? or a VXR?
    Give me a break. I screwed up big time. Happy now?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Give me a break. I screwed up big time. Happy now?
    psst. The pictures came from the C&D China website, use that as an excuse.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Officially official now.

km77.com. Opel Insignia OPC. Modelo 2010. Imágenes exteriores.

2.8 litre turbocharged V6, 325bhp, 400Nm, four wheel drive, six speed manual gearbox, 0-100km/h in 6 seconds and top speed limited to 250km/h.

Can't help thinking it isn't quite as cool as the old Vectra OPC...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

the style is quite resembling that of the GTC concept.
    that's all for the moment, probably I'm not even interested in seeing if it performs well or not. They could have done more, like adopting a hyper-charged diesel engine as they did with the concept some years ago, or something else new, not just their own version of an Audi S4/M3 or else, just cheaper.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Well aparently it was a bit slow for us Euros so they fixed it.

Opel removes governor on Insignia OPC 'Unlimited', runs to 168 mph Autoblog
    Visca Catalunya!

About time .

However, I've read that the 2.8l unit in the Insignia had massive problems in the Caddy SRX (and that it's rather outdated in comparison to other GM V6's). If that's the case, why wasn't this developed using a different engine? It's already a very good car that offers impressive performance for it's price (and the unit may not have caused any problems in the Insignia yet), but still...
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

I'm betting it sees a much more demanding use in the Insignia than in any US application. So if it's fine in the Insignia it should be fine everywhere else.
    Visca Catalunya!

Did it have actual problems or was it just that no one bought it over the 3.0 NA V6? They've now both been replaced by a 3.6 V6 anyway.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Did it have actual problems or was it just that no one bought it over the 3.0 NA V6? They've now both been replaced by a 3.6 V6 anyway.
    Some people on autoblog described it as a source of "terrible failures" in the SRX. Idk if they ment the slow sales or other issues, but it sounded like the second.

Well it would be ironic that the Autobahn-bound Insignia would be fine a Cadillac which will probably never exceed 70mph would have trouble. Maybe it's the slow speed which is causing the problem.

Many years ago it was the opposite, the GM V8s couldn't withstand autobahn speeds and therefore were a no go for Opels.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Many years ago it was the opposite, the GM V8s couldn't withstand autobahn speeds and therefore were a no go for Opels.
    Chevy V8 powered Admirals, Kapitans and Diplomats had trouble dealing with sustained high speed? I thought they were slow sellers due to high price and displacement taxation compared to the competition from Mercedes and BMW. Not to mention relative fuel economy...
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

csl, what (if any) 1965+ American cars do you like?

I know you prefer European cars, but I was curious what modernish American metal you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore GS/E View Post
    Some people on autoblog described it as a source of "terrible failures" in the SRX. Idk if they ment the slow sales or other issues, but it sounded like the second.
    Hmm...SRX failures? I remember reading that the SRX turbo engine did NOT like low-octane fuel (grenading engine) and that GM had to re-tune them. Could those be the issues?

A tale of low octane fuel, a grenaded Cadillac SRX and GM's response Autoblog
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    Chevy V8 powered Admirals, Kapitans and Diplomats had trouble dealing with sustained high speed? I thought they were slow sellers due to high price and displacement taxation compared to the competition from Mercedes and BMW. Not to mention relative fuel economy...
    Apparently they had to use the endurance racing SBC to suit them to Autobahn use. There's a thread somewhere, where nota (where is he by the way?) explains it. IIRC the 300 SEL 6.3 was also involved in the discussion.

Altough I'm sure that taxes and fuel consumption had also something to do with poor sales figures of those. By the way, an Omega B with an LS1 was also cancelled, altough I can't remember if it was because it couldn't go fast enough, or not sense for commie Euros.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Apparently they had to use the endurance racing SBC to suit them to Autobahn use. There's a thread somewhere, where nota (where is he by the way?) explains it. IIRC the 300 SEL 6.3 was also involved in the discussion.

Altough I'm sure that taxes and fuel consumption had also something to do with poor sales figures of those. By the way, an Omega B with an LS1 was also cancelled, altough I can't remember if it was because it couldn't go fast enough, or not sense for commie Euros.
    No. GM simply doesn't want Opel to get big engines. Whenever they developed a V8-powered car, GM intervened and stopped the development/ introduction.
    The LS1 Omega was cancelled because of engine heat issues... but I guess that's just a poor excuse. I call BS.

@CSL: the Diplomat sales were poor because 1. it had the wrong badge and 2. because it's styling was far too american for the european customers. Also, it was considered too large. The second gen met the expectations of the customers better, but was introduced shortly before the oil crisis (and therefor had no chance because of it's thirsty V8). Only the 4.6 Chevy engine suffered from overheating. The 5.4 was autobahn-proof.

Thread Information