Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI

Outfitted with a 6-speed manual transmission, the TDI gets an EPA highway rating of 41 miles per gallon. Only the Toyota Prius and Honda’s hybrids can stretch a gallon further.

The Volkswagen Jetta TDI meets all of the criteria for a best-selling vehicle in these days of economic and environmental uncertainty. It's exactly the kind of car they say we should all be driving. Time will tell if it rockets to the top of the charts, but its greatest asset also prove to be the biggest hurdle to getting there.

It may do an MPG less than the hybrids (should see of that's true too for Europe) but it's a much better car than them.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    It may do an MPG less than the hybrids (should see of that's true too for Europe) but it's a much better car than them.
    Isn't your 118d even more fuel efficient than any of those mentioned above, Albert?

And 100x more fun to drive?
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    Isn't your 118d even more fuel efficient than any of those mentioned above, Albert?

And 100x more fun to drive?
    Yes to all.
    Visca Catalunya!

Yes to all.
    And a very nicely specced 118d can cost you less than a Prius, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    And a very nicely specced 118d can cost you less than a Prius, too.
    the smaller and cheaper 116d costs exactly like an old Prius (26.400 € for the 1 Series Vs 26.300 €) fpr the Toyota, with a similar mileage 4,3 liters/100 km for the Toyota and 4,4 for the BMW.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Even so, I wonder what the fuel consumption is for 100mph motorway journeys...
    Visca Catalunya!

Even so, I wonder what the fuel consumption is for 100mph motorway journeys...
    I remember a biased comparison between a 520d and a Prius, in which the 520d was mroe frugal by a small margin, about 0,5 liter/100 km, in a 1000 km test, with about 900 km on the german motorway though.
    Don't know about the 1 Series, I'm not sure the difference will be that different.
    As far as the cars are concerned, there couldn't be more differences between them. One is good for my mother, the other (given the options) for me.

You're completely right - although the Jetta TDI does beat the Prius when it comes to Highway fuel consumption. And it's a real car. And cheaper! (Even though diesel is more expensive than regular unleaded, you still get the $1300 Advanced Lean Burn Technology Motor Vehicle income tax credit on the Jetta).

Driving a Prius - or the even more popular Civic Hybrid - is like willfully inserting a barbed object into your nether regions, tying said object to the rear bumper of a large dump truck, then going for a brisk run when the truck takes off.
    Turning money into memories.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    I remember a biased comparison between a 520d and a Prius, in which the 520d was mroe frugal by a small margin, about 0,5 liter/100 km, in a 1000 km test, with about 900 km on the german motorway though.
    Don't know about the 1 Series, I'm not sure the difference will be that different.
    As far as the cars are concerned, there couldn't be more differences between them. One is good for my mother, the other (given the options) for me.
    I forgot to say the Prius generates 104 g/km of CO2, the 116d (3 doors) 118 kg/km CO2

My fear with diesels in America is that I've been told that the method of refining petroleum over here is that it produces significantly more gas and significantly less diesel while creating about the same amount of avgas and the like. So, if consumer diesel catches on, my worry is that it will drive up the prices of doing business, as diesel is used as a more an industrial etc. fuel. So, either the cost of shipping and business is greatly increased, or the whole petroleum infrastructure is revamped in an incredibly expensive process that directly affects everybody, when they want to fill up or even for their electrical bills.
    This is all predicated on me remembering the refining bit correctly, though, and I'm not sure I do.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    My fear with diesels in America is that I've been told that the method of refining petroleum over here is that it produces significantly more gas and significantly less diesel while creating about the same amount of avgas and the like. So, if consumer diesel catches on, my worry is that it will drive up the prices of doing business, as diesel is used as a more an industrial etc. fuel. So, either the cost of shipping and business is greatly increased, or the whole petroleum infrastructure is revamped in an incredibly expensive process that directly affects everybody, when they want to fill up or even for their electrical bills.
    This is all predicated on me remembering the refining bit correctly, though, and I'm not sure I do.
    I thought the price of gas (petrol and diesel) was completely arbitrarily decided based on the mood of some folks owning the market.
    You could still be right though.

I thought the price of gas (petrol and diesel) was completely arbitrarily decided based on the mood of some folks owning the market.
    You could still be right though.
    Taxes also play a very big part in pricing. At least in Europe.
    Visca Catalunya!

Taxes also play a very big part in pricing. At least in Europe.
    also that, true.
    it still doesn't explain the fluctuation of the gas price even when the oil is quite stable.
    or why we are paying the gas now as if the oil was costing 70$ instead of 30 or 40.

the smaller and cheaper 116d costs exactly like an old Prius (26.400 € for the 1 Series Vs 26.300 €) fpr the Toyota, with a similar mileage 4,3 liters/100 km for the Toyota and 4,4 for the BMW.
    Not in the UK.

The 118d and the Prius were similarly priced last time I looked.

Thread Information