Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival 2009

New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival 2009

Just got back from New Orleans and it was probably the most fun I've had in a while. I hadn't been to New Orleans since Katrina, so it was nice to go back, I have extended family there but we didn't visit, although I did somewhat randomly see my cousin's uncle at the bar at Antoine's. Got there Friday night, ate at the Crescent City Brewhouse, had a really nice roasted duck with greens and a cornbread stuffing, very good. Walked around the quarter and Bourbon street a little bit after that. Saturday had breakfast at Cafe du Monde (touristy, I know, but it was good), then hit Jazzfest. Because of scheduling conflicts I didn't get to see James Taylor, Dave Matthews Band (who I'm seeing this Friday here anyway) or Earth, Wind & Fire, but the music I did see was awesome. Big Sam's Funky Nation was incredible. Then ate at Commander's Palace that night, had the Soups 1-1-1 (small portions of turtle soup, gumbo and the soup du jour which was a sweet potato and crawfish bisque), blue crab stuffed quail, and creole cream cheesecake. All were very good. I like Brennan's here in Houston slightly more though (same family, split off and came to Houston). This morning just had some Camellia Grill (best omelet I've ever had) and came home. Had an awesome time, just though I would share a little bit.

New Orleans Streetbeat at the brewery:

Bourbon Street:

St. Louis Cathedral:

Either there were more street performers this weekend because of Jazzfest, or the New Orleans street music scene has really stepped its game up majorly in the last few years. There were groups like this all over the city:

Onward to Jazzfest:

Lil' Buck Sinegal Blues Band, this guy was a really good guitarist:

The art all around the festival was awesome:

Golden Blade Mardi Gras Indians:

Big Sam's Funky Nation:
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Big Sam's Funky Nation:

Some band marching around the grounds:

This guy was wearing those old people eye class covering sunglasses AS his sunglasses, it was awesome. And a sailor's hat:

Another sailor's hat, this time with pony tails coming out of it:

Spotted a 2010 Mustang:

The Streetcar sculptures were pretty cool, in Houston I think we had either cows or pelicans, and different artists paint them in their style, and sell them for charity and put them around the city:

Randomly saw a Ferrari 355 Challenge in the quarter, this is a race car. I'm guessing since the Jazz & Heritage Festival is sponsored by Shell, they brought the car in:

Some cool old buildings:

All around an awesome trip. Aside from James Taylor, DMB and Earth Wind & Fire, most of the big acts are next weekend. If you're able to go, I really suggest it, it was a lot of fun.

Great photography, looks like you had a good time.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

yea, some nice pics there!
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

Quote Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
    Great photography, looks like you had a good time.
    Agreed. It sounds similar to the Crossroads guitar fest, those are pretty awesome to watch on DVD. I was thinking about going to the Outside Lands Music and Arts festival in San Francisco but with the new job I can't. San Francisco's Outside Lands Music and Arts Festival - August 28-30, 2009

Has the city recovered from the hurricanes yet?
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

I was actually pretty disappointed with my photographic efforts. We didn't have too much time to really explore and take pictures, so these were pretty much all moving shots.

I could really see myself living in New Orleans if I ever left Houston and didn't go to Austin. It's a really cool city, music - which is pretty much my favorite thing ever - is EVERYWHERE in that city. Food is also a big part of my life and they had some very good food there.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv View Post
    Has the city recovered from the hurricanes yet?
    This was something I really was interested in from about the week after Katrina until last year, and I had pretty much just given up hope of getting to see the city post-K after three years of not having an opportunity to go, so this was a nice surprise. My short answer is YES.

The people really banded together I think to rebuild and renew. There is still a kind of "rebuilding" atmosphere going on, but I sensed that was more a cultural renaissance that physical re-population. The city was pretty much completely occupied that I could see. Granted, it was the first weekend of Jazzfest and we didn't really go outside of downtown, uptown, garden district or the quarter, but the feel I got was that it was business (party?) as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche View Post
    This was something I really was interested in from about the week after Katrina until last year, and I had pretty much just given up hope of getting to see the city post-K after three years of not having an opportunity to go, so this was a nice surprise. My short answer is YES.

The people really banded together I think to rebuild and renew. There is still a kind of "rebuilding" atmosphere going on, but I sensed that was more a cultural renaissance that physical re-population. The city was pretty much completely occupied that I could see. Granted, it was the first weekend of Jazzfest and we didn't really go outside of downtown, uptown, garden district or the quarter, but the feel I got was that it was business (party?) as usual.
    Good to hear. It would have been a shame to seen such a great place go to waste. New Orleans is one of the cities on my bucket list.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

I think their goal is to come back stronger and better than before, with less crime. Worthy goal, and if they succeed it will be one of the most unique, best cities in the country.

that makes me sad.. this is my favorite time of year in NOLA. The street music scene is always bumpin, but it goes way up during jazzfest. I didnt like the crowds that came in for jazzfest (lots of homeless hippies stinking up the streets(one actually called me a baby killer once when he saw me in uniform(seriously, baby killer?)seriously 3 sets of parentheses?)yeah, i did it), but its a good time to go out since there's lots of tourists.

and the streetcars are interesting, havent seen those. they used to have fish.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Yea, the old Ville is recovering rather nicely (I live about 60 miles outside of New Orleans). Didn't get a chance to go to the festival though. Sounds like you had a nice visit. And Commander's Palace?.......wow. You don't cheap out on your meals aye?
    "Wise man say: Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

The festival continues this weekend...you should definitely go for sure.

Well food is one of the things I enjoy most in life, so I see no reason to skimp.

dude, you should have gone to Besh's August. Ive been to Commander's a few times, and prefer August.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

I actually wanted to go to Besh's restaurant, I've heard it's fantastic, but Commander's is an institution so I figured I should at least eat there once. It was very good, but I prefer Brennan's in Houston, same family/different side.

I want to try to get back there this summer, if so, August is top of the list for restaurants. Ever eaten at Brigtsens?

Thread Information