Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FIA announces future F1 plans

Quote Originally Posted by lightweight View Post
    True, but it takes an organisation a lot of time to learn and improve. Since Sauber themselves did not have a huge budget in the first place, it wasn't logical for BMW to start spending to Toyota levels.

Manufacturers always try to achieve their results by taking advantage of their vast resources. But if they want to do that, they have to add complexity to the organisation. That is why smaller teams can react quicker to rule changes
    (e.g. Renault having a double diffuser in Malaysia I think).

Let's not forget that BMW has been in the sport for 10 years more or less and that Renault is always complaining that they don't have enough budget and that they will pull off the plug. In fact in 2006 Renault really threatened to quit F1 because of managerial changes.

In general a budget cap favors ingenuity and not vast resources, thus disadvantaging manufacturers
    Renault isn't a small team, and they decided to spend less money, but that doesn't mean they are short on money.
    And their treat to retire from F1 is as silly as Ferrari treating to create another championship.
    If a team like Renault retire is because they aren't able to win, therefore the money spent don't provide any sort of ad.
    Smaller team can't react as quickly as bigger teams for the simple fact theyd on't have the money, while Ferrari can redesign a part over the weekend and manufacture it during the night even if it costs 10 times more than usual, because they have the money. That doesn't mean they will win as a given fact, but they aren't surely worried about money.
    While even if STR would find a solution to gin 4 seconds a lap, they couldn't do it, because they don't have money.
    While Ferrari GeS is a very complex and big company, it's also designed to react to F1 necessities with the times of F1 world.
    Also using the new diffuser sooner or later isn't an indication of how fast a team can react, but of how much their previous design can be adapted to that new diffuser.

I agree with the point that these new rules will call for performance balancing, which could create a biased situation from the beginning.
    And the idea that such balancing will be done with the agreement of all teams is almost a dream, and the reason why Fota was born.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by culver View Post
    It's not entirely a 2 tier system. All teams are free to chose either tier. If BMW thinks they have a lot of creative ideas and can win with the cost controlled rules, why not. I really do like the idea of bringing creativity rather than simply high dollar refinement back into the sport.

Incidentally, I do see issues with the idea as well.
    Teams are free to choose, but there will be 2 sets of rules, but only 1 common championship, so in order to make it the same the balancing is being adjusted. And knowing everything that anyone tried to do anysort of performance balancing between essentially different cars. They will get it wrong, and it will either create a championship thats unbalanced and dominating by one side, or they will do the unpopular thing(and offend the other side) by adjusting the rule.

And there is the whole thing of are they actually "free to choose?" Many of the new teams that are coming in is because of the new budget cap, and how it suppose to guarantee their competitiveness to compete with the "big boys". Seeing how political FIA is it may well tip the balance to them. The big team can choose to compete at the cap level but the small team don't have that upward mobility.
    Last edited by RacingManiac; 05-01-2009 at 08:01 AM.
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

You can pretty much guess the FIA will be quick to adjust the balance if the unlimited spending teams remain ahead of the capped teams, but if the capped teams are the pace setters they'll drag their feet adjusting it back in the unlimited spending teams favour.
    I am the Stig

AWD is also allowed for the capped teams.

KERS to the front wheels anyone?
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Simplify it!

I say give each team one 45 gallon drum of fuel per race then anything & everything else goes! Simple rules such as a minimum of four tires and a steering wheel! (Or perhaps allow for a joystick!)

Moveable Wings

F1 with moveable wings, maybe active suspension is next ?

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Renault isn't a small team, and they decided to spend less money, but that doesn't mean they are short on money.
    And their treat to retire from F1 is as silly as Ferrari treating to create another championship.
    If a team like Renault retire is because they aren't able to win, therefore the money spent don't provide any sort of ad.
    The whole Renault thing was on the 2006 season when Alonso won his 2nd championship. During this period they were planning for 2007 and Renault was restructuring massively under the orders of Carlos Ghosn. So, "le cost cutter" was thoroughly re-thinking the Renault business plan. As a result Renault wasn't attractive to the sponsors, planning for 2007 delayed and the results are now history. That's why Alonso searched for alternatives and finally went to McLaren. (It's been some 3 years since, so I hope my memory serves me correctly)

While Ferrari GeS is a very complex and big company, it's also designed to react to F1 necessities with the times of F1 world.
    They react because they have the "infinite" funding. If the Ferrari GeS funding changes, then they will be sure to suffer until they restructure and gain some experience under the new way of working. After all F1, like any other business, is all about getting things done through people. If their everyday work is altered, then they must adapt until they work "full throttle" again
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

Interesting link summing up the FIA proposals

FIA aims to get all teams to cap budgets using one-sided regulations | F1 Fanatic - The Formula 1 Blog | F1 video | F1 pictures | F1 news | Lewis Hamilton | Fernando Alonso

Also, according to the below attached link, in 2010 cars will be able to qualify without race fuel!!!

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2009/04/3...turns-in-2010/

And I continue to not understand why this new rule should scary away manufacturers.
    After 1-2 weeks of talks between the teams and the FIA, it seems that the first manufacturer has openly reacted against the new two-tier system and claims that they may not enter the 2010 championship.

autosport.com - F1 News: Toyota warns it may not lodge entry

F1 News > Toyota will not accept two-tier system

I've read in the newspaper this morning that Ferrari arem't too happy either with the two-tier championship.

So that'd be two manufacturers against it so far.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I've read in the newspaper this morning that Ferrari arem't too happy either with the two-tier championship.

So that'd be two manufacturers against it so far.
    Well, no manufacturer should be happy if you ask me, but in the end all these public statements are just politics.

In the end they all want to be in F1 in a way that favors their team only and ditches others

Montazemolo will be at Le Mans this year and it is stated by the press that Ferrari will enter Le Mans. No way they will leave F1 for sportscars, but they make their point with press releases and that kind of PR moves.

EDIT:

Red Bull joins Toyota in their open disaproval of the two-tier system

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headline...10222405.shtml

EDIT 2:

Briatore against budget cap

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headline...11113657.shtml

EDIT 3: FIA's Tony Purnell on budget caps

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/75268

EDIT 4: Ferrari threatens to quit F1

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/75277
    Last edited by lightweight; 05-12-2009 at 09:03 AM.

No compromise possible between FOTA, FIA & Bernie

The meeting between the Formula 1 teams and the FIA and Bernie Ecclestone failed to reach any agreement on Friday. Things were not helped by the fact that FOTA chairman Luca di Montezemolo was not present because of the death of his father. Ferrari was thus represented by team principal Stefano Domenicali. While the meeting was taking place word was received from France that Ferrari had applied for an injunction to stop the FIA from instituting its 2010 Technical Regulations. The arguments for this are apparently based on a deal that was struck between Ferrari, the FIA and Formula One Management in January 2005.

At the time an announcement was made, in which it was said that "the FIA, Formula One Management and Ferrari have agreed to prolong the Concorde Agreement for the period 2008 to 2012" and quoted Max Mosley, Bernie Ecclestone and Luca di Montezemolo all saying that the agreement would stabilise Formula 1.

The details of this agreement have never been made public but it seems that it included not only a substantial payment each year to Ferrari, but also a veto on the technical regulations in the future. According to our sources, the document even stated that if the new agreement was not validated by all the other teams, the old Concorde Agreement would prevail. If that is the case, therefore, Max Mosley does not have the right to make any rules and regulations without the Formula 1 Commission being involved. This body has not met for several years.

Whatever the details, Ferrari lawyers must believe that they have a good case.

We hear that Mosley was conciliatory in the course of the meeting saying that he would raise the budget cap and introduce a glide path if it was deemed necessary, but he was then faced with Ferrari and Toyota both insisting that the 2010 technical regulations be cancelled in their entirety because the FIA had not followed the procedures necessary. This clearly suggests that the two manufacturers have decided to go on to the offensive, with the aim of stopping the FIA acting unilaterally and so that they can stay in the World Championship.

The meeting broke up when it became clear that the legal action had been started.
    Link: F1 News > No compromise possible

I am inclined to say: Hurray....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I am inclined to say: Hurray....
    Why if I may ask?

Quote Originally Posted by lightweight View Post
    Why if I may ask?
    I don't consider it to be the pinnacle of motorsport any longer, it is just a money machine. The sooner it breaks down the better.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information