Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VW + Porsche = Auto Union ??????

VW + Porsche = Auto Union ??????

The historic Auto Union name, made famous by the succesful 1930s grand prix cars, could be revived and used by the new Porsche-VW alliance when the two automotive powerhouses merge later in the year.
    VW chairman Ferdinand Piech has confirmed that the Auto Union name is being considered for the new company that will see two of Germany’s most powerful manufacturers combine.

The decision, however, may be scuppered by the Nazi associations the Auto Union name carries. Despite being established in 1932, well before the rise of Hitler, the Auto Union brand came to symbolise the engineering aspirations of Nazi Germany.

Fortunately the four rings of the Auto Union now adorn the bonnets of Audis, and the pre-war legacy of the Auto Union Silver Arrows race cars outweighs the negative connotations of its Third Reich association.

The Porsche-VW merger is likely to be resolved in the coming weeks, a move that could spell the end for Porsche boss Wendelin Wiedeking. The current boss of the world’s most profitable car manufacturer is likely to be replaced when VW gains control of Porsche’s manufacturing arm, Porsche AG.

Link: PistonHeads Headlines
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

It makes sense. The Nazi associations are just silly. People still buy Mercedes-Benzes right?
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Indeed, Mercedes received a much higher budget for their race efforts, and sometimes the classifications were adjusted to make sure that Mercedes emerged best....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

The term 'auto union' may have a bad connotation after the GM debacle.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    The term 'auto union' may have a bad connotation after the GM debacle.
    I think German Leyland may just be slithgly worse.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

So, if i undrestand this correctly - the company which can be linked to Tiger tanks and creating "People's Car" for Hitler is worried about the Nazi associations the Auto Union name carries?

How quaint...

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    So, if i undrestand this correctly - the company which can be linked to Tiger tanks and creating "People's Car" for Hitler is worried about the Nazi associations the Auto Union name carries?

How quaint...
    Memory is a fickle thing

What would the badge look like? I guess it would be a bit of a marketing coup if they just used the four rings. People everywhere would gobble them up.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

They could call it whatever the hell they want. Just keep giving us what we want.

Plus, I can imagine it just like GM- all the companies are under the GM umbrella, but does GM still make any cars branded as a GM badge?

Rather pointless, I would imagine.

I say go for it.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    They could call it whatever the hell they want. Just keep giving us what we want.

Plus, I can imagine it just like GM- all the companies are under the GM umbrella, but does GM still make any cars branded as a GM badge?

Rather pointless, I would imagine.
    Many automotive groups have names and badges, even if the group itself doesn't make any cars with their name and badges.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Many automotive groups have names and badges, even if the group itself doesn't make any cars with their name and badges.
    Yeah, but Fiat, Peugeot and Citroen all make their own cars. Auto Union may or may not. And why would they need to? It would be just extreme overlap.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Yeah, but Fiat, Peugeot and Citroen all make their own cars. Auto Union may or may not. And why would they need to? It would be just extreme overlap.
    Auto Union will not built cars. The idea to set up a parent company that will control the ten separate marques including Volkswagen and Porsche. That's why they want/need a different name for the parent company.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Exactly, the point is giving a clear and comprehensible corporate image. Hanece the name and badge.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Auto Union will not built cars. The idea to set up a parent company that will control the ten separate marques including Volkswagen and Porsche. That's why they want/need a different name for the parent company.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Exactly, the point is giving a clear and comprehensible corporate image. Hanece the name and badge.
    Ah, okay. Then that makes sense.

Finally got it through my thick skull.

Just imagine the possibilities of a prototype, to go with the parent company.

Thread Information