Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
ht, the ACTUAL displacement of the engine by traditional means is 1.3
THe "combustion chamber maximum size".
Having to talk about swept voume and it's relevance makes it confusing for some.
You are missing an important part of the definition of engine displacement... its combustion chamber maximum size times number of combustion chambers...

There are 3 combustion chambers for each rotor... and a total of 6 combustion chambers for a two rotor wankel engine. Swept volume is just total displacement minus combustion chamber volume for a normal piston engine but wankel engines sweep their entire displacement and therefore swept displacement = total displacement for wankel engines (generally, there is a small volume around the spark plugs that isn't swept).

Quote Originally Posted by Matra
The actual "displacement" is the SMALLEST of the figures ht.
When it goes "bang" that is the power pulse and thus SHOULD be the only one of interest. ... or to borrow one of your analogies, shuold a single cylinder engine be compared the same as a rotary IF it spins 3 times faster ?
Ok but what about the other two sides of the rotor? are they working in a vacuum? So far the only reason I have heard as to why they shouldn't be included is because of the fact that there is only cycle that fully completes per revolution of the crankshaft (eccentric shaft if you will). But that is not a part of the equation for total displacement at all?

take a look at this animation: Here

This animation shows what happens in one chamber of the wankel engine.

Then take a look at this animation: here

clearly there are 6 working chambers just like say a 6 cylinder engine which also has 6 working chambers. The fact that it takes 2 revolutions of the crankshaft to fully complete a 4 stroke cycle in each cylinder of the 6 cylinder engine as compared to the neccessary 3 revolutions of the eccentric shaft to fully complete a 4 stroke cycle in each working chamber of the wankel engine is a question for equivalency factors, it has nothing to do with actual displacement.

Quote Originally Posted by fpv-gtho
HT, forget about the displacement, swept volume and all that crap and just concentrate on the power pulses. Just like a 2 stroke, a wankel rotary produces a pulse for each RPM. 4 strokes produce a pulse for every 2 RPM. That is why x2 is the most common equivalency for both. Your scenario has the factor applied the wrong way; a 250cc 2 stroke is equivalent to a 500cc 4 stroke.
??? again I am only talking about displacement... I know all about the different equivalency factors that are used for the wankel rotary engine but I am not arguing about equivalency factors. Forget about equivalency factors!

A wankel engine is a 4 stroke engine regardless of the number of times a power pulse is produced per eccentric shaft revolution. whether an engine is a two-stroke or a four-stroke is defined by the number of "strokes" needed to complete the combustion cycle for a single working chamber.

You misunderstood my scenario... I was talking about the physical displacement of the engine. Let me ask you a question: If you had a 250cc two-stroke engine what is the combustion chamber maximum size???