Thread: Ilmor's 5 Stroke

Ilmor's 5 Stroke

Ilmor Engineering builds a five-stroke engine — Autoblog

I only partially understand this - the idea seems pretty funky to me. I know a lot of people here already read Autoblog but some don't and I'd like to her what the tech guys think of this.

Before evereading the article my first thoughts:
    - how the heck is that going to get efficient ?
    - Maybe it has better exhaust outlet or something, but still, how does it gonna get as efficient as a four-stroke.

Ater reading I am left with some doubts:

How do they make sure the secondary cilinders of the engine don't get clogged up with remains off the exhaust gasses burnt in the primary cilinders. Just think of what is left in EGR systems..
    Also i'd be very interested in seeing the relative extra efficiency coming from this secondary cilinder. The extra losses coming from the extra piston, valves and so on would have to weigh against the gains from it. Is this gain at all speeds of the engine ? Some more detailed information would be welcome.

Even though this is a respectable firm with proper backing and research abilities I am not sure if it'll be ever a marketing succes in this highly conservative industry.. Only time will tell, for now it's an interesting concept.
    Last edited by drakkie; 08-12-2009 at 03:19 AM.

All I'm thinking is: all makers are turbocharging their engines.
    This likely won't make a turbocharger work, definitely a supercharger though. I'm somehow with drakkie, I don't quite understand it and seems pretty complicated for """only""" a 10% efficiency gain. In the real world 10% is a revolution, but in concepts like this, it isn't that much after all.
    that said, I'm bored and I'm not giving it too much attention.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    All I'm thinking is: all makers are turbocharging their engines.
    This likely won't make a turbocharger work, definitely a supercharger though. I'm somehow with drakkie, I don't quite understand it and seems pretty complicated for """only""" a 10% efficiency gain. In the real world 10% is a revolution, but in concepts like this, it isn't that much after all.
    that said, I'm bored and I'm not giving it too much attention.
    I don't think a turbochrager would work indeed. The exhaust gasses have lost momentum and temperature before it reaches the turbo. The 10% gain is minimal and by optimising current engines i think you can reach that as well. I am very interested as well in this and I will surely visit some of my teachers when I have school again next week with a few questions I'm sure he can tell me all about it (he used to be chief of engine development at PSA Group) as he keeps up to date with these kind of engines very well. He did like this in-depth analysis i did once of the Revetec engine though, he missed out on that one incredibly enough.

On the Ilmor site they mentioned a congress / show in Stuttgart. The International Engines show or something. Might look this up and see if i can go next year with some class mater, sounds highly interesting / educative.

Edit:
    We are so blind:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilmor
    The engine is also turbocharged to increase the engine rating.
    http://www.ilmor.co.uk/concept_5-stroke_1.php
    Last edited by drakkie; 08-12-2009 at 02:23 PM.

Thread Information