Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Gumpert Coming Out of Nowhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    How many people here race cars?

I'm guessing not many. Therefore, what's the point of having the absolute fastest lap time?
    For once I have to disagree with you. Most of us will never one one of the better cars on these pages (probably more race than will ever even have a chance of owning a gumpert) but that doesn't mean discussion of the cars is meaningless. Just that you shouldn't go all pistols at dawn over which one is better.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I recently did my first lap around the Ring, it was on my bicycle and it took me 1 hour and about 15 minutes (distance 28 km). There are some quite steep climbs there.
    That's class, there. Was that pushing pretty hard or taking it easy? I'm sure you've mentioned it before, but do you compete on a bike or is it just for fun and transportation?

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    that's a good way of putting it.
    Ditto.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    For once I have to disagree with you. Most of us will never one one of the better cars on these pages (probably more race than will ever even have a chance of owning a gumpert) but that doesn't mean discussion of the cars is meaningless. Just that you shouldn't go all pistols at dawn over which one is better.
    I never said we shouldn't discuss cars. I mean this is a car forum what are we supposed to do if we don't discuss cars?

My point arguing that a car is better or worse than another because it was some tenths of a second slower in a gruelling 20-mile long track is a bit pointless since we are never going to race those car nor get that close to the edge on public roads.

I prefer a rewarding drive even if it's slower than a fast but gutless one.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

exactly. it's a ridiculous benchmark. something only the most retarded of benchrest racers use as a valid measurement to distinguish cars that are seconds apart
    says you

you wont break 8 minutes unless its at least dry . the distance means a slow car is going to really show it in the time - & a fast car is going to really show it in the time . & as far as racetracks go this one is closer to a real road than all the new ones

Most of these cars tested at the ring, do very poorly at speeds below 50 miles per hour or sitting in traffic. These cars have gone feral (claws, snarls, whiskers, fangs, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Badsight View Post
    says you

you wont break 8 minutes unless its at least dry . the distance means a slow car is going to really show it in the time - & a fast car is going to really show it in the time . & as far as racetracks go this one is closer to a real road than all the new ones
    so you're saying the gumpert and radical are perfectly capable on the street? lol.
    distance is a good thing yeah, but it's too long in this case, for all the previously mentioned reasons. half the length, or do the jaguar way... test the car on individual segments rather than an overall lap time.
    it's the perfect benchrest racers icon...
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I sort of sit on the fence in the ring - good/bad benchmark situation.

Its a tough challenging circut for car and driver.
    And thats where its weakness is.

its so long the differences in drivers and climate makes more of a difference than on any other circut.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

lol
    laugh at your own statements much ?

ring times . praising them means to say the car is perfect in every way for the road . or at least thats what clutch-monkey will try putting you down as meaning

Quote Originally Posted by Badsight View Post
    laugh at your own statements much ?

ring times . praising them means to say the car is perfect in every way for the road . or at least thats what clutch-monkey will try putting you down as meaning

righto..
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post
    I sort of sit on the fence in the ring - good/bad benchmark situation.

Its a tough challenging circut for car and driver.
    And thats where its weakness is.

its so long the differences in drivers and climate makes more of a difference than on any other circut.
    +1
    doesn't make or break a car, despite what some would have you believe
    remember the E46 M3 CSL back in the day - got the same lap time as the F430 or something. Difference was ferrari drove up there and did a few laps, BMW spent weeks there getting the optimal time.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by G35COUPE View Post
    Most of these cars tested at the ring, do very poorly at speeds below 50 miles per hour or sitting in traffic.
    yep and that's what sets apart a sports/performance car !

BEST car at low speeds and traffic is likely one of Fleet's limos !

i think fleet should take his limo around the 'ring. as a piss take.

Or a diesel Transit?

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    yep and that's what sets apart a sports/performance car !

BEST car at low speeds and traffic is likely one of Fleet's limos !
    I only realized this fact after i bought my 6MT G-35 Coupe. Thats why i have kept my B13 for street useage.

And then the other night, i saw a 2008/2009 M5 cruising along. You won't beleive how much this car rattles, even from the outside. The engine literally has an angry sound at low speeds--its like it is complaining to be at low speeds. The driver had to speed up to let the car breathe normally, and then the sound it made when he sped up was super awesome. I seriously doubt an M5 is comfortable in the inside. it just isn't ralistic to demand power and performance, together with luxury, without paying an arm and a leg.

It is hard to build street useability into a sports car without something giving.

I agree. An M5 from a few years back. Same time as an E46 I think. Sounded absolutely horrible untill he canned it.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

I think you can have good driving enjoyment and a bit of comfort. Of course it'll be a compromise, but you can have it if you want.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I think you can have good driving enjoyment and a bit of comfort. Of course it'll be a compromise, but you can have it if you want.
    Definitely. I'd say the current M3s are luxurious and comfortable, and according to just about everyone who's driven one (unfortunately not me) they're a lot of fun to drive (despite those who complain about theincrease in size.) There's a lot of other cars that fit the bill, too, depending on your standards of comfort and how pure you want your car to be.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Thread Information