Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Porsche 997 911 Sport Classic 2010

I was undecided wheter I liked it or not.

But 200 grand is ridiculous.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

How much more is that than a standard one?

I like it rather a lot.. if those parts aren't available from the factory, I'm sure an enterprising kit shop or two will step up..

@ferrer ..^ true, but I bet they sell EVERY one.

Thus proving the price is too low
    If they sell all but one then I'd say they have the price about right !!

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    How much more is that than a standard one?

I like it rather a lot.. if those parts aren't available from the factory, I'm sure an enterprising kit shop or two will step up..
    Here it's more than twice as much. (118k more to be precise)
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Hott damn.. that's one hell of a mark up.

If people will pay for a Bugatti, they'll pay for this.

Now, I think I like this car, except I'd rather have the old one with the green wheels...
    Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain one as an adult.

Love the ducktail - wheels are a standout for me too.
    Last edited by whiteballz; 09-02-2009 at 04:47 AM.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Nice idea, odd execution, insanely predatory pricing

Rather than pay the Porsche extortion, I'm sure the aftermarket will come through w/the wheels/ducktail for those who want the look w/o the insane markup.

In principle I like it (taking price out of the equation), but two things killing it for me are the chin spoiler/splitter and the taillights. They look like cheesy aftermarket items, instead of complementing the design they're trying too hard to be noticed.

From what I understand the improved engine performance is the result of properly managing the venturi effect of the intake in order to create an increase in intake air pressure (turbocharging without the turbocharger)

This is a pretty efficient, cheap and lightweight way to get horsepower. It could give up to a 30% increase of intake air pressure (0.3 bar?) in extreme applications. Here it is only a 5% increase from standard Carreras, but it could easily be re-calibrated for future models to give power hikes with every new Porsche introduced.

IMHO they could easily implement it to all other Carreras and non-Turbocharged Porsche engines (Boxers - V6 - V8), as it is applied to the cylinder head without interfering with the rest of the engine.

EDIT: BMW used a similar strategy with its 320 model. They originally had a 150 hp 320i I4. Then they created a special edition 320 si with 170 hp to "commemorate Touring car performances". This was a way to "test" the engine in the real world. Then they went on to introduce the 170 hp as the standard engine, making the Special Edition owners look like suckers...
    Last edited by lightweight; 09-02-2009 at 06:34 AM.
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

[QUOTE=ZZMX-5;904377]Nice idea, odd execution, insanely predatory pricing

Rather than pay the Porsche extortion, I'm sure the aftermarket will come through w/the wheels/ducktail for those who want the look w/o the insane markup.

QUOTE]

So, you regularly take your 118K Xyzmobile, built of unobtainium to after market guys, just like the 'rice boys'

Jes' wundrin'......

Quote Originally Posted by lightweight View Post
    From what I understand the improved engine performance is the result of properly managing the venturi effect of the intake
    If that's true then I'd worry where it is losing power.
    Unless they have gone for variable intake length/shape then "tuning" an intake gives a peak at certain revs.
    To get it across the board then the intake needs to be variable to opearte "better" at wide range of revs.
    One of the ultiamtes being the Mazda 4 rotor Le Mans winning engine where the trumpets coudl change from about 6 inches to 2 feet long !! (possible exageration )
    Honda are introducing fully variable intakes on their new VFR bike nbext year. So, it's possible Porsche are too ? Anyone know ??

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Unless they have gone for variable intake length/shape then "tuning" an intake gives a peak at certain revs.

Honda are introducing fully variable intakes on their new VFR bike nbext year. So, it's possible Porsche are too ? Anyone know ??
    The press release talks about "Introduction of a newly developed resonance intake manifold with six vacuum-controlled switching flaps". From what I understand they are using the variable intake length/shape system.

Siemens was developing such a system, naming it "Electric Impulse Charging". Maybe Porsche is using this system.
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

Want. Want BAD.

Love the ducktail, love the cloth inserts, love beyond works the Fuchs wheels. I wonder for that kind of money if you can get that iguana green detailing upon request?
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

I wonder for that kind of money if you can get that iguana green detailing upon request?
    From Porsche....let's see...based on their astronomical charges for options etc......I'd say another 20k would get you colored accents.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    If that's true then I'd worry where it is losing power.
    To get it across the board then the intake needs to be variable to opearte "better" at wide range of revs.
    One of the ultiamtes being the Mazda 4 rotor Le Mans winning engine where the trumpets coudl change from about 6 inches to 2 feet long !! (possible exageration )
    I think the Porsche engine already use a 2 length/stage intake mechanism.

Also from what i've read the rear of the car is wider, i don't know if wider than all or just the base 997.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Thread Information