Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mercedes 300 SLR (replica ?) Nürburgring

I can't hardly understand how somebody can spend a lot of money to built a fake replicar using a genuine donor car, when for the same amount -or less- could restore or rebuilt the real thing to enjoy her everyday and be able to compete in true classic events increasing her value.

Quote Originally Posted by Manel Baró View Post
    I can't hardly understand how somebody can spend a lot of money to built a fake replicar using a genuine donor car, when for the same amount -or less- could restore or rebuilt the real thing to enjoy her everyday and be able to compete in true classic events increasing her value.
    Manel, for some an "ordinary" car is not good enough even if it genuine. However it bothers me greatly that a replica 250 Testarossa is invited to participate in the Goodwood Revival meeting, the more so as there are several real cars around, that most likely would accept an invitation.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

It's a sad thing Henk, but more common as organizers want to make the show appealing for the crowd. The number of replica or "continuation" cars like Listers, Cobra Coupes, GT-40s, and Lolas is growing. There are only so many rich guys with the original toys to play at some events, so a bigger field (even of repros) is desirable when possible. Unfortunately, the audience doesn't know or care which are "real" and which aren't.

Back to this Mercedes: if was a wreck I'm OK with it, but if it was a good 300SL to start, cutting it was criminal IMO.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    It's a sad thing Henk, but more common as organizers want to make the show appealing for the crowd. The number of replica or "continuation" cars like Listers, Cobra Coupes, GT-40s, and Lolas is growing. There are only so many rich guys with the original toys to play at some events, so a bigger field (even of repros) is desirable when possible. Unfortunately, the audience doesn't know or care which are "real" and which aren't.

Back to this Mercedes: if was a wreck I'm OK with it, but if it was a good 300SL to start, cutting it was criminal IMO.
    Whether cutting the 300SL was criminal also depends on what they actually did, if they just removed the body and kept the mechanicals as they were (I do not expect an I8 under the bonnet..) the Gullwing might not have been gone forever. What bothers me is to use a perfect 250 GTE and then cut the chassis to reduce the wheelbase from 2.60 to 2.40, just to fit a GTO or a TR body.
    Interestingly RM this year at Monterey had a 1953 212 Barchetta Ferrari for sale. Turns out it to be a new body on a shortened coupe chassis. Ironically they original coupe body was still offered with the car.
    Probably we should start making a thread listing all continuation cars, that are currently being raced as the real thing....off hand I could name already more than 20...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Good point... perhaps the original body of that 300SL is in safe keeping.

I heard about the 212 at RM, too... there's an example of how some parts of the market are headed. And I agree, it bothers me too when so-called series built Ferraris are cut to make replicas, but there's that pesky market again...

I liken the practice to vile modifications done to classic architecture by people wealthy enough to have what they want. Just because you own it doesn't mean what you did with your purchase is a good or noble thing.

Regarding the "continuation" cars, sure would be nice to see the vintage organizations create a series just for them. Wouldn't that be better than letting them on the track with the real thing?

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    Good point... perhaps the original body of that 300SL is in safe keeping.

I heard about the 212 at RM, too... there's an example of how some parts of the market are headed. And I agree, it bothers me too when so-called series built Ferraris are cut to make replicas, but there's that pesky market again...

I liken the practice to vile modifications done to classic architecture by people wealthy enough to have what they want. Just because you own it doesn't mean what you did with your purchase is a good or noble thing.

Regarding the "continuation" cars, sure would be nice to see the vintage organizations create a series just for them. Wouldn't that be better than letting them on the track with the real thing?
    The last point is a real dilemma, 90 percent of the public wouldn't understand so for them it would not be an issue. The owners of the real thing though become increasingly reluctant to race against the owners of the "fakes" as they seem to be far less scrupulous (and financially vulnerable)

Your story about what rich people can do triggered something that comes up me during my greener hours. The preposition that the polluter pays, does not automatically give the right to pollute if you can pay for it. (sorry to become a bit philosophical, hope you got the message)

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    The last point is a real dilemma, 90 percent of the public wouldn't understand so for them it would not be an issue. The owners of the real thing though become increasingly reluctant to race against the owners of the "fakes" as they seem to be far less scrupulous (and financially vulnerable)
    Which is why I'd like to see organizers put on a separate show with the ringers... who wants to race a real Lola T70 against a fake? At a fraction of the cost the guy with the ringer doesn't mind "rubbing" competitors. It's a serious issue, and was a primary part of my recent chat with David Piper. Even rich guys don't want their special car pranged, particularly by a replica.

As to getting philosophical... agreed. Hard to fathom how wealthy nations morally justify a carbon cap economy.

OK, thread drift over.

Thread Information