Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts About Selling....

I truly appreciate the feedback from everyone. You have all made some very good and sensible points!
    NicfromLa; I must plead temporary insanity. There is not a snowballs chance in hell (now that I have slept on it) that I will sell the Ghia. I do have a very strong bond to her...
    I have however, decided that the Jag is just to good a deal to pass up despite what will be exceedingly strong objections from my spouse.
    I feel that I should offer some additional backround as to why I am doing this. Feedback is apprecialted. Especially from a womans point of view.

I have as a daily driver a 2000 Jetta GL that I put about 25K miles an per year. It now has 187K dead reliable miles. I keep cars for a very long time, usually 10 or more years and then purchase used vehicles in the 2-3 year old range. A one owner 2002 Jag XJ8 is available for $17K. I may even be able to get her for less! I can easily afford the purchase. I'm not a spring chicken and no, I don't think I'm going through a midlife crisis. I simply have come across a stunning Jag that ran around 85K when new.
    My spouse is not on board with this purchase and would rather wait intil April 2010. Her vehicle loan will be paid. I understand her logic but are not financially unstable or insecure. I've simply been told that at this time I am not permitted. I have decided that the opportunity is here now. I have a high milage car that will I would like to replace. We talked about buying a Jetta TDI wagen in spring. We have an 2005 GMC Envoy pig of an SUV so I don't think a wagen is a necessity. I don't want this discussion to descend into issues of marital discord. We have been married for 14 years and make joint decisions on important issues. However, I feel strongly that I have found the right car at the right time. If I let the XJ get away it's going to haunt me and come next April I am going to be resentfully driving a 2010 Jetta diesel wagen. Thoughts ?

The Ghia is a stunning example. And you do have a run around. I think it all depends on how you view the Ghia. If you can get good money for it then whats the harm in selling? Even if you love that car - think of it this way. You have restored and spent time and effort creating something of beauty that is going to be in on the road (touch wood) for some time if taken care of. If you can find an enthusiast who will pay big money - go ahead. Artists sell their work remember.

I'm personally not a jag fan, but each to their own. If the XJ8 is in very good condition, then I am sure you will get plenty of hapiness from it. Why don't you get rid of the GMC Envoy and leave the Jetta GL as your workhorse?

At the end of the day you have to respect your wife's point of view. You should try and get her to love the Jag, take her for a spin in it or something. If she still doesn't fall in love, then its probably going to be a sticking point in the future.

Personally, I would get the Jag and sell the Ghia and keep that Jetta GL. Sell that stupid worthless SUV! And if your wife says know, then maybe I would consider looking for something to compromise with. That said, the Jag is reliable and practical. And if you have restored the Ghia then you will have the ability to get that jag 300,000miles + with ease.
    Last edited by TheScrutineer; 09-27-2009 at 01:11 PM.

jag sounds like a good bargain. it sounds like you can afford any hiccups it might give, although that kind of mileage who knows. it's easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Jag XJ8 VS Jetta TDI...no way I'd get the VW over the British lady.

I see the point of your wife, and I understand them probably as you do as well.
    If it could help, my girlfriend says this: keep the Ghia (something I think you're now fine with) and if the Jag can be a pain from your couple's point of view, pass it on. It's a Jag after all, there'll be another one, just keep searching when you're in the market for a new ride.
    Let me elaborate.
    Even if the Jag is an excellent deal, we (me and the lady) are a bit against good deals when you're not looking for something.
    I mean, the price is good and the object as well, but do you need it? do you need it now?
    If the answer is yes, then everything would be fine, but I thibk I understood you happened to have the opportunity to buy it, not that you were looking for a new ride and found the occasion you've been looking for in the last months.
    For how good the deal is, next year there will be something else, perhaps not a Jag, maybe something even better you're not considering right now, perhaps the car of your dreams, or maybe something less special but even cheaper.
    Put it this way, if you can wait until next spring: the Jetta will be costs-free (assuming it will keep working), while even if the Jag works fine, in the next 6 months it will be worth I guess at least 1.000 $ less just because of the new ownership.
    So if now you can buy a Jag for 17.000 $ with no probs, in Spring 2010 you could do the same but with a car worth 18.000 $, or just 1.000 $ more expensive than what you can afford right now.

I like the Jag and I'd love to own one, but it doesn't sound like you're so in love with it as much as you're with the Ghia, or your wife...
    If the choice is Jag VS Jetta (next spring), than my money are on the Jag, but I think during winter you could come out with a better idea no?
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Insanity would be attempting to sell a car as rare and as beautiful as this well restored Ghia. My goodness---the Ghia is just too damn beautiful. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush.

Won't that Jag be in the shop all the time and the repairs be prohibitively expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Won't that Jag be in the shop all the time and the repairs be prohibitively expensive?
    That actually kind of depends on the model/year and your luck, but quite possibly.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

2002 is quite new. It won't be BL-bad.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

As an ex-concours judge I feel your pain. You spent years getting every little thing right and enjoy showing the car. My E-type was once in show condition but I took the decision to use her and have put 120,000 miles on the clock and she is, while perfectly rust free, looking used and patinated. It was a hard decision but I don't regret it one moment when I think of the places we've been and the fun we've had. But, if you can't bear to think of her "going downhill" like that then the time has come to sell.

I met so many like people at the Barratt Jackson who never used their cars for fear of devaluing them and so were selling up for something a little more usable, and certainly times in the classic car world have decided changed. People are actively seeking usable and not show cars.

If you are at the crossroads like that then think on. If she is to stay a show queen then sell her and get something you can really enjoy and which won't take all you spare time polishing and cleaning.

A huge thank you to all of you who have helped me through what has turned out to be a much smaller issue than I made it out to be

I love and respect my wife but I sometimes fall in to that "all or nothing mentality". During our discussions about the Jag she made a point that was also mentioned in this thread. Deals like the Jag will come up again and again. Live with the Jetta till the spring then start looking. So, come April-May I will be on the prowl for for a daily driver that will satisfy my desire for good looks and performance.

The Ghia has the looks, it's the performance that is a bit lacking. Oh well, I suppose that one day that could be resolved too

Thanks again !!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    2002 is quite new. It won't be BL-bad.
    Unexplained fires are a matter for the courts Canyon-... BL Jaguar oh woah. BL Jaguar...

Good to hear you're keeping the Karmann kingkarmann. It's a beaut!

I just think you should drive it more often - you gotta enjoy it you know?

Well, that's at least what I think.

I was on Ferrari Chat earlier today snooping out the P4/5 Competizione and saw Napolis' signature; here it is: "Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your Girl Friend so she'll be more desirable to her next Boy Friend."

Replace "Ferrari" with "car" and you have my sentiments about driving cars in general.

Cars were meant to be driven. Take yours on some joy rides - I'll bet you'll smile.

Unexplained fires are a matter for the courts Canyon-... BL Jaguar oh woah. BL Jaguar...

Good to hear you're keeping the Karmann kingkarmann. It's a beaut!

I just think you should drive it more often - you gotta enjoy it you know?

Well, that's at least what I think.

I was on Ferrari Chat earlier today snooping out the P4/5 Competizione and saw Napolis' signature; here it is: "Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your Girl Friend so she'll be more desirable to her next Boy Friend."

Replace "Ferrari" with "car" and you have my sentiments about driving cars in general.

Cars were meant to be driven. Take yours on some joy rides - I'll bet you'll smile.
    Yeah, I had that simpsons episode running through my head, too.

Once again it strikes me that Napolis is a true car guy.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by kingkarmann View Post
    A huge thank you to all of you who have helped me through what has turned out to be a much smaller issue than I made it out to be

The Ghia has the looks, it's the performance that is a bit lacking. Oh well, I suppose that one day that could be resolved too

Thanks again !!
    Glad you've sweated that out, kingkarmann. Drive that beautiful Ghia and enjoy it! Now, in the interest of more power for your KG,
    go for a Jake Raby Type 4, or if'n you're like me, something a little more esoteric but even more powerful:
    A Polo 930/4 from Advanced Performance Engineering.

I'm waiting (feverishly) for mine, it'll go into a '62 356 Notchback Outlaw. 245 HP on carbs & pump gas.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by kingkarmann View Post

I love and respect my wife but I sometimes fall in to that "all or nothing mentality". During our discussions about the Jag she made a point that was also mentioned in this thread. Deals like the Jag will come up again and again. Live with the Jetta till the spring then start looking. So, come April-May I will be on the prowl for for a daily driver that will satisfy my desire for good looks and performance.

Thanks again !!
    I am glad you decided to keep the Ghia. It is too beautiful. Its value is gonna go through the roof, especially when electric cars start showing up. You own a piece of history in the Ghia. Keep it and be proud of it.

I'm hunkered down waiting out the Polar Vortex by doing a bit of surfing thru my "favorites" list. Got a bit curious about what I could find about Ghia's and wouldn't you know it, I came across this crazy thread. I can hardly believe I seriously considered selling my Ghia. Four and a half years later she's still mine, tucked away in the garage.
    I did end up selling the Jetta, replacing it with a then new 2012 VW GTI Autobahn Edition. Here's a pic of them hangin out!

Thanks again for all the wonderful words of encouragement! Happy 2014 and stay warm!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Duell; 01-07-2014 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Attached picture,

Thread Information