Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buell is dead.

Buell is dead.

Sadly Harley Davidson is giving Buell the axe. This saddens me because, as a bit of a chauvinist, I liked the fact that there were American sportbikes being made. I also liked that they were quirkier than the Eastern bikes, if not as competent (from what I've heard).
    Harley is slimming down to face the economic times, so the only Yank bikes for the next few years will likely be single-pin farters, even if the Buells I most liked were Austrian-powered.

Erik Buell announcing that Buell Motorcycles is dead.

Harley-Davidson terminates Buell brand, sells MV Agusta | Up to Speed | Los Angeles Times

Damn recession!
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Hey, I like the single-pinners!

Too bad about Buell, though. With a little extra attention, I think Buell had a lot of potential...Harley never exploited it properly.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Wow, that sucks.

I thought Buells were pretty cool too, how come Harley Davidson is making such a stupid move...?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Wow, that sucks.

I thought Buells were pretty cool too, how come Harley Davidson is making such a stupid move...?
    Probably a money losing bussiness.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Profits are down, true, still I think this was something they would have done regardless of the situation sooner or later.
    Too bad, I like them, they are mad bikes in a market often dominated by homogeneity and lack of proper brand's characteristics.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Thats a shame its always sad to see a manufacturer of interesting products go down.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    Hey, I like the single-pinners!

Too bad about Buell, though. With a little extra attention, I think Buell had a lot of potential...Harley never exploited it properly.
    Harleys (Harlies?) are one of those products that I respect, but would not consider owning. My problem with them is now their distinctly old-fashioned style of bike will be the only type of American bike available.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Yeah, probably, but the one that that was remotely interesting about Harley Davidson (to me at least) is now gone.

I mean, Harley Davidsons to me only represent overchromed motorbikes for guys with a midlife crisis.

Nope. While HD's profits are currently down 84%, Buell was making money. Victory would be a good buyer for the Buell brand, hopefully they'll pick it up.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    I mean, Harley Davidsons to me only represent overchromed motorbikes for guys with a midlife crisis.
    Try a Nightster like I own. I'm 24. The Nightster, designed by a 27 year old, hasn't much chrome on it. In fact, many of Harley's new offerings have been more matte-finish or downright blacked out bikes. Not to mention my bike, with just pipes and a high-flow air cleaner, are running 1/4 mile or 400m runs in the 12 second bracket. I don't have current pics up right now but my Nightster has almost no chrome, particularly since I replaced The Motor Company's chrome exhaust with a matte black one.

Victory's are nice bikes, but top-heavy currently. My Dad broke his ankle last year largely due to the top-heaviness of the Victory Vegas he was riding. If they took the centre of gravity down, Victories would have some of the best bikes on the market. Smooth, efficient, good-looking, and yes, American. Largely.
    Last edited by jcp123; 10-15-2009 at 11:29 PM.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    Nope. While HD's profits are currently down 84%, Buell was making money. Victory would be a good buyer for the Buell brand, hopefully they'll pick it up.
    Well then maybe they just didn't want to spend another penny on it.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

My Dad broke his ankle last year largely due to the top-heaviness of the Victory Vegas he was riding.
    It's a poor carpenter who blames his tools.

jcp, I think despite their lack of chrome, Harleys are still Harleys, with all of the baggage that that carries. Hell, even the fast ones like yours have uncomparable performance to the foreign bikes. I have no problem with laid-back cruisers (unless I'm talking to Kitdy), but it is disappointing for me to see that said laid-back cruisers are the only American bikes being made.

Quote Originally Posted by wildman View Post
    It's a poor carpenter who blames his tools.
    A little quick to judge aren't we?

Try a Nightster like I own. I'm 24. The Nightster, designed by a 27 year old, hasn't much chrome on it. In fact, many of Harley's new offerings have been more matte-finish or downright blacked out bikes. Not to mention my bike, with just pipes and a high-flow air cleaner, are running 1/4 mile or 400m runs in the 12 second bracket. I don't have current pics up right now but my Nightster has almost no chrome, particularly since I replaced The Motor Company's chrome exhaust with a matte black one.

Victory's are nice bikes, but top-heavy currently. My Dad broke his ankle last year largely due to the top-heaviness of the Victory Vegas he was riding. If they took the centre of gravity down, Victories would have some of the best bikes on the market. Smooth, efficient, good-looking, and yes, American. Largely.
    I was overgeneralizing, but it's sad that there won't be any American sportbikes anymore. Even though I don't ride bikes, I still thought they were pretty cool.

Well then maybe they just didn't want to spend another penny on it.
    Buell starting to use Rotax motors instead of the HD boat anchors was most likely a reason for it.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Thread Information