Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Porsche Boxster Spyder

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    That'd be awesome!

I'm so confused: everyone is always bitching about weight (me included) and how much they hate the Cayenne and Porsche's recent cars and (half of you) complain about the engine being in the rear, and when Porsche launches a lighter, sportier mid-engine car all everyone does is crap on it. Am I really the only one who's doing to defend this car?

PS: I'm having fantasies of Porsche doing this with a 911.
    I like it too. Even the price increase is moderate. And you can have it with a manual.

Insta-win.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Seriously, I'd be fine with simpler and much lighter, including side curtains. The price is reasonable. But all they did was remove some basic luxuries, not take it where they could have... and styling is subjective. Some of us aren't impressed. I'm a Porsche fan that believes the company has gone the wrong direction so will stick with my old-school 911s and 356S. No, they won't perform like this new car,
    but feel like a sportscar should: light and agile. Ask a new Lotus owner.

Wouldn't a mid-engined Porsche with smoother bodywork and 1100 kilos be more appealing?
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

That'd be awesome!

I'm so confused: everyone is always bitching about weight (me included) and how much they hate the Cayenne and Porsche's recent cars and (half of you) complain about the engine being in the rear, and when Porsche launches a lighter, sportier mid-engine car all everyone does is crap on it. Am I really the only one who's doing to defend this car?

I freakin love it, although the roof looks a bit out of place. Retractable hardtop would look sexy as hell but it would throw the whole lightweight thing out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    Seriously, I'd be fine with simpler and much lighter, including side curtains. The price is reasonable. But all they did was remove some basic luxuries, not take it where they could have... and styling is subjective. Some of us aren't impressed. I'm a Porsche fan that believes the company has gone the wrong direction so will stick with my old-school 911s and 356S. No, they won't perform like this new car,
    but feel like a sportscar should: light and agile. Ask a new Lotus owner.

Wouldn't a mid-engined Porsche with smoother bodywork and 1100 kilos be more appealing?
    I'm the proud owner of the 356B Roadster, and I'm just happy to see the spirit of my car in something Porsche is producing today.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

I'm the proud owner of the 356B Roadster, and I'm just happy to see the spirit of my car in something Porsche is producing today.
    i can't help but suspect that this is merely a marketing exercise aimed precisely at getting you to think that though.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

You mean again? The 90's Speedster wasn't bad and they've sorta used the formula for the new Boxter Spyder. But still too heavy.

Like you, I own a 356 (S Notchback Outlaw) as well as three early 911s. If Porsche would de-content the Boxter or Cayman in the true spirit of our old models, I'd have one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    I'm a Porsche fan that believes the company has gone the wrong direction so will stick with my old-school 911s and 356S.
    csl, what are your thoughts of the track based 911's (GT3/GT3RS)?

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    i can't help but suspect that this is merely a marketing exercise aimed precisely at getting you to think that though.
    But at least there's some substance behind it.
    Visca Catalunya!

yeah, certainly better than that porsche design rubbish where they took a boxster, painted it black with matte black stripes and bolted on the horrendous 997 turbo wheels
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I like the idea, certainly.

But when Porsche claim stuff like the Cayenne and Panamera are the money makers so they can focus time & effort onto keeping these sorts of cars right, I'd expect better solutions.

Especially with the roof. The afterthought nature of that just bugs me beyond belief. SUCH a bad solution. When having no roof at all is the better solution, something bad happened.

Having said that the Boxster is a very good vehicle in it's own right and this simply adds to that, but the cynic in me just won't be silenced, damnit.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    I like the idea, certainly.

But when Porsche claim stuff like the Cayenne and Panamera are the money makers so they can focus time & effort onto keeping these sorts of cars right, I'd expect better solutions.

Especially with the roof. The afterthought nature of that just bugs me beyond belief. SUCH a bad solution. When having no roof at all is the better solution, something bad happened.

Having said that the Boxster is a very good vehicle in it's own right and this simply adds to that, but the cynic in me just won't be silenced, damnit.
    Simply, thorw away the roof and drive eveywhere open.
    Visca Catalunya!

That's exactly what they should have advertised it as.

By making a roof for it (and as crappily as they have) they're not embracing it's openness, they're showing off a glaring flaw.

BAD PORSCHE, BAD! NO EUROS FOR YOU!
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Meh.
    The new "bonnet" seems just attached to the actual rear end, as you know it isn't required for whatever reason.

Im not happy about the weight either, as they rediced the weight just removing stuff like the door's handles, not making the car actually lighter.

Finally, I'm definitely pissed with the fabric top.
    I'd have preferred something made specifically to protect the interior while it's raining, not to pretend it's a soft top, with the car being a pure open top hardcore thing.
    That said I can't see why it can have a decent soft stop in first place.

Me no wants.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Guys, could have been worse, they coudl have bought in to the "modern trend" and fitted a cumbersome, heavy autom retract hardtop ????

Personally I'm not too bothered by it, 'course I'm used to Se7ens and Elise
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

The word "Spyder", as a reference to older Porsches, is just inappropriate.
    It's a gimmick, an irrelevant weight saving compared to the lower "comfort", zero engineering applied to it, it's the kind of weight saving we could all do in our backyards in an afternoon. The top is the best example of LOLcar art, and I don't know what's the good thing about it. I think the rear is too fuzzy too.
    This isn't even a Boxter RS, just a funky toy.

Wait, I just noticed this is SEMA week too...
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Thread Information