Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chrysler's New Powertrains

Chrysler's New Powertrains

Chrysler has released some info on it's new powertrains today. In the works are a naturally aspirated and turbocharged 1.4 L inline-4, the NA version with 100 hp @ 6,750 and 95 lb.-ft. @ 4,250, the turbocharged version with 170 hp @ 6,750 and 170 lb.-ft. @ 3,000.

Also, there's a 2.4 L I-4 with 190 hp @ 6,000 rpm and 175 lb.-ft. @ 4,200. These engines feature Multiair technology from Fiat (now called Fully Variable-valve Actuation [FVVA]) and will be called Fully Integrated Robotized Engines, or FIRE... engines. There will also be a 3.6 L V6 with 280 hp @ 6,400 and 260 lb.-ft. @ 4,400.

Supposedly all these engines are superfantastic and generate more power with better fuel economy. Chrysler says this will improve fuel economy between now and 2014 25% - yadda yadda super amazing.

Mid-size Chryslers are gonna get dry dual clutch transmissions supposedly as well. Fiat seems to be dumping money on Chrylser at this stage.

Will it work?

Press Release:

Chrysler Group LLC Transforms Powertrain Strategy

Auburn Hills, Mich., Jan 7, 2010 - Chrysler Group LLC is revamping its powertrain lineup with technology that will contribute to an overall fuel-efficiency improvement of more than 25 percent during the 2010-2014 period.
    As a result of the new alliance with Fiat, the company's five-year business plan has an uncompromising powertrain offensive, including a progressive vehicle electrification strategy.

"Chrysler Group will attain leadership by rapidly applying Fiat Powertrain technologies, such as Multiair, direct injection, turbocharging and transmission systems to its powertrain portfolio," said Paolo Ferrero, Senior Vice President, Chrysler Powertrain. "By 2014 calendar year, more than 80 percent of Chrysler Group's current powertrain lineup will undergo a complete makeover."

In order to combine complementary strengths, Fiat Powertrain is the global center of expertise for diesel technology and small displacement gas engines (less than or equal to 1.8 liters). Chrysler Powertrain is the global center of expertise for large displacement gasoline engines and vehicle electrification technology. The primary goal is leveraging combined powertrain and vehicle knowledge to achieve best-in-class fuel economy for both companies.

New Four-cylinder Engines
    Four-cylinder engine options are being expanded at Chrysler Group with the introduction of Fiat Powertrain's 1.4-liter, in-line four-cylinder Fully Integrated Robotized Engine (FIRE) featuring Multiair. In the early 1970s, the use of robotics in assembly plants was not common. The term "FIRE" came into existence when Fiat integrated the use of robotics in the production process of manufacturing plants. Although mechanized assembly is common today, the brand name FIRE has remained with Fiat's powertrain lineup.

Two variations of the engine will be available, naturally aspirated and turbo. Both versions of the 1.4-liter FIRE feature four valves per cylinder and incorporate state-of-the-art technology for Fully Variable-valve Actuation (FVVA), also known as Multiair. Fiat's Multiair technology significantly reduces emissions, while improving fuel economy and power. This sophisticated electro-hydraulic variable-valve actuation technology delivers an increase in power up to 10 percent, an improvement in low rpm torque up to 15 percent and a reduction in fuel consumption and emissions up to 10 percent when compared with similar engines without the technology. The Multiair system is based on a series of Fiat Powertrain patents related to hardware, combustion strategies and controls that allow for full control of the lift and timing of engine valves, independently on each cylinder and during each single engine stroke. Well suited for a small car application, the first North American vehicle to feature the 1.4-liter FIRE with Multiair is the Fiat 500.

Specifications
    1.4-liter I-4 FIRE with Multiair
    100 horsepower (75 kW) at 6,750 rpm
    95 lb.-ft. (129 N•m) of torque at 4,250 rpm

1.4-liter I-4 FIRE Turbo with Multiair
    170 horsepower (128 kW) at 6,750 rpm
    170 lb.-ft. (231 N•m) of torque at 3,000 rpm

Another addition to the Chrysler Powertrain lineup is the new 2.4-liter, in-line four-cylinder World Gas Engine (WGE) with Multiair. This new engine stands as an example of Chrysler Powertrain's rapid integration of Fiat technology. Chrysler Powertrain's 2.4-liter WGE features Fiat's Multiair technology that will improve fuel economy and specific-power output. In comparison with its predecessor, the 2.4-liter with Multiair delivers an increase in power, an improvement in low rpm torque and a reduction in fuel consumption and emissions output. A turbo version of the 2.4-liter WGE also is under development for future applications.

Specifications
    2.4-liter I-4 World Gas Engine with Multiair
    190 horsepower (142 kW) at 6,000 rpm (estimated)
    175 lb.-ft. (237 N•m) of torque at 4,200 rpm (estimated)

All-new V-6 Pentastar Engine
    Chrysler Powertrain will streamline its V-6 gas engine offerings from six options to the new fuel-efficient, state-of-the-art 3.6-liter V-6 Pentastar engine. The first application of this engine will be in the all-new 2011 Jeep® Grand Cherokee, due out in the second quarter this year. Chrysler Group's all-new Pentastar V-6 is the most advanced six-cylinder engine in the history of Chrysler, with an optimized integration of select technologies that deliver refinement, fuel efficiency and performance. The Pentastar delivers a fuel efficiency improvement of up to 8 percent on average when compared with previous Chrysler Group V-6 engines and delivers 90 percent of its available torque from 1800-6400 rpm. In the all-new 2011 Jeep® Grand Cherokee, the 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 engine offers an increase of 33 percent in horsepower and an 11 percent improvement in torque over its predecessor. The Pentastar V-6 is designed to use technologies such as Multiair, direct-injection and turbocharging for future applications.

Specifications
    3.6-liter V-6 Pentastar
    280 horsepower (209 kW) at 6,400 rpm
    260 lb.-ft. (353 N•m) of torque at 4,400 rpm

New Transmission Technology
    Beginning with mid-size D-segment cars in 2010, Chrysler Powertrain will migrate Fiat's six-speed Dual Dry Clutch Transmission (DDCT) to Chrysler Group vehicles. The DDCT delivers a 10 percent improvement in fuel efficiency while enhancing performance. It transitions seamlessly from economy to sport mode when desired and can handle up to 260 lb.-ft of torque (350 N•m). The DDCT uses the best characteristics from both a manual transmission and an automatic transmission. This combination delivers the efficient performance of a locked gear mechanical path, but maintains the drivability and comfort of an automatic transmission.

Vehicle Electrification
    In November 2009, Chrysler Group revealed a new engineering organization model showing the company as the center of competence for vehicle electrification efforts for Chrysler Group and Fiat Group. The resources previously spread in different electrification development groups have been assigned to the powertrain and vehicle engineering mainstream-a clear sign of how the Chrysler Group intends to move from research and development to vehicle production.

As part of its five-year plan, Chrysler Group currently is developing a Ram 1500 with traditional hybrid capability for 2010. The company also continues its plan with the Department of Energy to build a small test fleet of plug-in hybrid Ram 1500 pickup trucks and minivans. Because pure electric vehicles lend themselves to commercial applications, Chrysler Group is considering a small electric delivery van application for 2011-2012 with an appropriate business case.

The company has a significant amount of resources allocated toward vehicle electrification and affirms a commitment by continuing to add talent in this leading-edge technology arena.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Isn't the smallest engine a bit small for American tastes?

Other than that we'll see.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post

When the economy picks up, wait to see what happens to the gas prices.

Things are just starting to get better and gas is a buck a litre.

In the next few years, engines like this could become very in vogue.
    Last edited by Kitdy; 01-08-2010 at 02:57 PM.

in the small shitbox econo cars 100 hp isnt too horrible. not great, but if they put that in a panda or punto chassis and sell it as a small dodge or something it could work very nicely.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    in the small shitbox econo cars 100 hp isnt too horrible. not great, but if they put that in a panda or punto chassis and sell it as a small dodge or something it could work very nicely.
    I'm not suggesting it won't be good (Panda 100HP anyone?) but will it be accepted by American buyers?

Also if it goes in a Dodge or something it will be the least powerful and smaller engined US car on sale in North America, won't it? And not counting the Smart, the least powerful and smaller engined, or maybe some Hyundai or Kia has that accolade?

EDIT And why has the American N/A 1.4 litre lost a bit of power and torque compared to European applications?
    Visca Catalunya!

I'm not suggesting it won't be good (Panda 100HP anyone?) but will it be accepted by American buyers?

Also if it goes in a Dodge or something it will be the least powerful and smaller engined US car on sale in North America, won't it? And not counting the Smart, the least powerful and smaller engined, or maybe some Hyundai or Kia has that accolade?

EDIT And why has the American N/A 1.4 litre lost a bit of power and torque compared to European applications?
    I've seen a slight trend as more and more smaller cars are popping up. Not many Smart cars, although I've seen a few around town, but more along the lines of cars similar to the Yaris and the Fit (neither of which i fit in). I think in the next few years the SUV obsession will slow down even more. Even SUV's are getting smaller. It seems to be that there are more CRV's and RAV4's moving about than Suburbans and Excursions.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Different fuels and emissions regulations.

About the FIRE moniker, it has been used by Fiat since the eighties if not before, so don't blame Chrysler for this.
    Oh, and those engines (of the FIRE family) kick asses.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Also the SAE pony is slightly larger than a DIN pony. The net result is the same motor should report a bit less power in the US. Most German companies report DIN power in the US as it gives a bigger number yet is also a legitimate rating system. As an example the Corvette Z06 is rated at 505hp in the US and 512 in Germany. No changes to the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by culver View Post
    Also the SAE pony is slightly larger than a DIN pony. The net result is the same motor should report a bit less power in the US. Most German companies report DIN power in the US as it gives a bigger number yet is also a legitimate rating system. As an example the Corvette Z06 is rated at 505hp in the US and 512 in Germany. No changes to the motor.
    507 bhp over here in Italy iirc.

Has GM given Chrysler the use of their global V6 now?. Like the Hemi this V6 is very similar to GM's power plants.
    IT'S OFFICIAL. I'M A SUZUKI KIZASHI SPORT FAN-BOY.

what stops me from buying this over a XR6 SV6 ?. drive-train. place a little wrx evo magic under the bonnet and i'm sold!.

The V6, used by Alfa Romeo, is a GM design....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

But this new V6 is a Chrysler design, I believe. It's an engine that was meant to be used both by Daimler and Chrysler.
    Visca Catalunya!

But this new V6 is a Chrysler design, I believe. It's an engine that was meant to be used both by Daimler and Chrysler.
    Yup, that should be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Yup, that should be the case.
    so will it also replace the much maligned Holden V6 in the Alfa?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    so will it also replace the much maligned Holden V6 in the Alfa?
    Yes it will.

Even the LX/LY platform could spawn new big Lancias and Alfas.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information