Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Mini One D

Quote Originally Posted by ruim20 View Post
    Isn't yours a 1.4 and the cooper a 1.6?
    Also, a 'chiped box' can get you to the 110hp mark without much fuss, these ppl seem competent enough. Chiptuning Fahrzeug Datenbank
    Nope, they stopped using the old Toyota 1.4 engine. It's now the same engine as the Cooper D (only since September I think). It could be that this engine variant isn't yet available in all countries.

As for your car, what about the Clio GT dCi? I was also looking at the Clio GT 1.6 but it came out a bit more expensive in financing than the Mini. Oddly enough the Mini was one of the cheapest cars when looking at monthly payments. Thanks to it's really high resale value. I also looked at the Alfa MiTo, 147, Renault Clio GT, Twingo RS and Fiat 500.

The C30 is nice but pretty expensive as well. But I bet they'll give you better discounts than Mini will. The Megane is nice as well but a lot bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    Nope, they stopped using the old Toyota 1.4 engine. It's now the same engine as the Cooper D (only since September I think). It could be that this engine variant isn't yet available in all countries.

As for your car, what about the Clio GT dCi? I was also looking at the Clio GT 1.6 but it came out a bit more expensive in financing than the Mini. Oddly enough the Mini was one of the cheapest cars when looking at monthly payments. Thanks to it's really high resale value. I also looked at the Alfa MiTo, 147, Renault Clio GT, Twingo RS and Fiat 500.

The C30 is nice but pretty expensive as well. But I bet they'll give you better discounts than Mini will. The Megane is nice as well but a lot bigger.

Never the Clio, i'm not really into it's looks and driving position, also i'm aiming for the used car sales, my virtual limit so far is 20.000€ and less than 30.000Km it's rare but i've seen some well equiped Mini Cooper Ds in that area.

I like the C30 and the 1.6d is being sold for Mini Cooper D money to, i'm just wating till 1st quarter next year to let the 3door Megane hit the used market, then i'll do some serious shoping around.

The 147 is great value for money, i can get a 1.9jtd 150hp for less than 18.000€ and in good condition, the thing is i already have a Fiat and i wanted to change direction to get a feeling for something else, specially after coughing up 500€ for a overhaul, that's BMW money for usual shop work.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Quote Originally Posted by ruim20 View Post
    Hum, well i do want a car just for me and my wife, no kids on the way, it's going to be a 2 or 3 door car, i can't afford a RWD 120d Coupe so i thought about the best FWD, the Mini.

We're also looking for the C30 1.6D and the new Megane 3 door 1.5dci.

-Sorry for the hijack!-
    My opinion? (Based on a first gen Coop S)

Superb driver's car. It's possibly the most fun I've ever had in a car. A riot in the mountains, as it feels exactly like a go-kart. And yet there's some of that BMW magic in it. Everything feels right. The steering is great. And the handling is very fun. Possibly one of the most tail-happy cars I've ever driven. Certainly the most tail-happy front driver I've ever driven.

However, there's a downside. It looks a bit like a sensible city car. Except that it isn't at all. What they actually did was a thoroughbred sportscar. The ride is not uncomfortable, simple there isn't any. The steering is heavy, the clutch is heavy, the gearbox is heavy and furthermore they only work properly if you drive like a lunatic. All the time. It's noisy, up to the point that at over 140km/h you need to turn the radio's volume all the way up to actually hear it. And finally fuel consumption is abysmal.

You forgive it everything because it's such a brilliant enterainment device. But in diesel guise I'm not sure. It's a bit like the 118d, superb but I ended up a bit disappointed because as a diesel it doesn't feel right.

(Thread hijack ended I hope )
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    My opinion? (Based on a first gen Coop S)

Superb driver's car. It's possibly the most fun I've ever had in a car. A riot in the mountains, as it feels exactly like a go-kart. And yet there's some of that BMW magic in it. Everything feels right. The steering is great. And the handling is very fun. Possibly one of the most tail-happy cars I've ever driven. Certainly the most tail-happy front driver I've ever driven.

However, there's a downside. It looks a bit like a sensible city car. Except that it isn't at all. What they actually did was a thoroughbred sportscar. The ride is not uncomfortable, simple there isn't any. The steering is heavy, the clutch is heavy, the gearbox is heavy and furthermore they only work properly if you drive like a lunatic. All the time. It's noisy, up to the point that at over 140km/h you need to turn the radio's volume all the way up to actually hear it. And finally fuel consumption is abysmal.

You forgive it everything because it's such a brilliant enterainment device. But in diesel guise I'm not sure. It's a bit like the 118d, superb but I ended up a bit disappointed because as a diesel it doesn't feel right.

(Thread hijack ended I hope )
    Thanks for that, Alas it must be a diesel :S
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Just for the record, there is HUGE difference between the first generation R50 and the second generation R56 when it comes to comfort, build quality, fuel consumption etc.

You can only really answer your questions by test driving one.

Hey build quality isn't bad either in the first gen and after 95.000 hard kms it was still going strong.

By the way, fiset test please.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Is it practical?

Not really. Boot is a joke. But when you lay down the backseats it's usable. It's also really a 2-seater. Unless you're transporting amputees.

Is it economical?

Very. Should get a 1000km out of 40 litres of diesel. Factory figures: 3,9l/100km (=60mpg).

Is it fun to drive?

It's a Mini, it better be.

Will it break down all the time?

Ze Germans have designed it, so normally not. But if it breaks down it'll also break the bank.

Is it easy to park?

Sure, it's really small but visibility isn't as good as it should be.

What if I go to a Shopping Centre and get chased by baddies in a Corvette?

I would outcorner them and flee because the Corvette is American and only goes in a straight line.

Is it green?

No, it's blue.

Can I afford it?

Apparantly. Cheaper in leasing/renting than it's rivals (MiTo, Fiat 500 etc). Not so, when you buy it cash. This is thanks to it's enormous resale value.
    Option list is a rip off, I don't have that many options but they do count for more than €5000. Standard BMW operating procedure.

What If I'm asked to take part in a beach assault with the Royal Marines?

It'll keep going for a 1000km but that's about it. Will probably get stuck in the sand after 50m and end up being blown to bits though.

Great car. I am actually interested in getting a Mini. I think there great cars. Great color too.

It was even voted one of the 'products of the decade.'

Prius and Mini Cooper among "Products of the Decade" - Motoring, Life & Style - The Independent

The Toyota Prius and BMW Mini Cooper are two automobiles named among other Products of the Decade by industry publication Advertising Age.

Both cars are deemed by Advertising Age to have changed consumer behavior and how brands go to market, with the Prius pushing "other carmakers to dial up their green advertising" and the Mini relying on "more unconventional tactics to create buzz."

BMW began production of the "new" Mini Cooper in 2001, revealing a redesigned, sportier hatchback that evoked memories of the fashion icon star of 1969 film The Italian Job. Advertising Age praised the efforts of ad agency Crispin Porter + Bogusky, which created a viral campaign around Mini counterfeits that was an instant online hit. Today's car adverts, which heavily use viral material, rich media and social networking sites trace their lineage partially back to the US launch of the Mini.
    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    -Rita Mae Brown-

Nice car! did it take long from order date to delivery?

I'm enjoying these TopGear style reviews, just the other day I was back at the shopping centre they filmed at, the Corvettes tyre marks have only just faded away!
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall View Post
    Nice car! did it take long from order date to delivery?

I'm enjoying these TopGear style reviews, just the other day I was back at the shopping centre they filmed at, the Corvettes tyre marks have only just faded away!
    Yeah I orderd it on September 28 or 29 and got it on December 18. With a 2-3 week delay.

Nice! Congrats!
    Turning money into memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    In any case, this is the 90bhp version and there's a 110bhp version with the same engine. So probably performance gains are just a flick of a switch away.
    My family has two R56 Mini Cooper Diesels - great little cars. They are expensive to buy, but you regain most of that money when you come to sell them on. Compare that to buying a Fiesta and you'll be better off in the long term if you go for the Mini.

As I've mentioned before on these forums, the 1.6 diesels in the R56 Minis are the same as the ones for the C4, and I happen to know that you can liberate an additional 30BHP and 45lb/ft with an ECU remap (obviously well worth it).
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    As I've mentioned before on these forums, the 1.6 diesels in the R56 Minis are the same as the ones for the C4, and I happen to know that you can liberate an additional 30BHP and 45lb/ft with an ECU remap (obviously well worth it).
    did you actually go for that option?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Hi there Longoda and congrat.

I am interested to buy the MIni and i also looked Fiat 500 and Mito, MINi seems to be the winner!

I would like to talk to you about few things if you don't mine

Sure.. ask what you need to know and I'll try to help.

Thread Information