Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Can anyone identify this car?

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    My comment was also insprired by the sudden surge in uncontrollable Toyotas, which as far as I know only took place in the USA...
    And yes the Beetle was very similar in lay-out (the others were plain front engined cars with swing axles, not uncommon in Europe at the time, and a feature of most Mercedes cars up to the end of the sixties even though they managed to come up with something elaborate as the "Eingelenk Pendel Asche" where the swing arms hovered around one pivot). Such cars in the States had a very specific clientele, but the Corvair was clearly aimed at the average Joe, who had no idea what he was letting himself into. (Ironically very comparable to the majority of the buyers of the current BMW-1 Series, who think their car has FWD).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    What these prove is that apparently the US society is possibly more prone to litigate, not they drive better or worse. And I don't know if they are in fact worse drivers, but here if you drive around a bit you can see all sort of dangerous, and sometimes even downright temerary, behaviours behind the wheel.
    Agreed, Ferrer, there are plenty of bad drivers wherever you are in the world. Which I think re-inforces my view that it was a combination of indifferent drivers and different handling characteristics which led to Nader being able to slam the Corvair in the way that he did.

erm, the Corvair handling was down to using an unconstrained rear swinging arm.
    So whe it went it induced HUGE amounts of positive camber, that lead to moving the contact point so far inboard that it moved the centre of gravity up and over and thus would lose traction in BIG way, induce massive body roll and "flipping".
    Imp handlig was the same, just not so severe being a VERY small and light car and having PROPER design of the suspension

The Corvair was a VERY POOR example of IRS which managed to "convince" the car industry that IRS in general was "bad"

If they had kept the "expensive" anti roll bar that the design originally had AND EVERY OTHER IRS USED then there would likely not have been an issue .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 03-30-2010 at 09:20 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by leroy View Post
    There have been 250 reported cases of unintended acceleration in UK for Toyota, which may simply mean that the average UK driver is as incompetent as his American counterpart, or may point to something more sinister;
    Yes, we've as many ambulance-chasing schyster laywers in the UK now
    "no win no fee" legal profession in the UK makes EVERYONE think something minor COULD be worth complaining about and tabloid journalists sensationalism convinces everyone to complain instead of adapt.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Where drug dealers and asian stores are born, California
    What is this? I found it in the parking lot across the street from the gym I go to. I didn't take good pictures because I was in a hurry.

p.s. I've been off UCP because it is the end of my school year and we have loads of finals fml lol
    “Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you.”
    -Jeremy Clarkson

It's a Toyota Corona, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by twinspark View Post
    It's a Toyota Corona, I think.
    Yes, probably 1969.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Thanks I didn't have any idea what it was, I was thinking it was a volvo from affar but when I got close to it the entire shape of the car was completely different from what I thought it to be. I think its a great looking car when it's not in bad condition wouldn't you say?
    “Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you.”
    -Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by iwmakemh View Post
    Thanks I didn't have any idea what it was, I was thinking it was a volvo from affar but when I got close to it the entire shape of the car was completely different from what I thought it to be. I think its a great looking car when it's not in bad condition wouldn't you say?
    this is a 1968 coupe version, with two speed auto box.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    this is a 1968 coupe version, with two speed auto box.
    I think that would be a great looking car in silver or black. It has a two speed? Was that common at the time? I was sure there were more advanced gearboxes than a two speed in the 60's. Does anyone know if the Corona was used in any motorsports?
    -Jeremy Clarkson

Yes, the two-speed slushbox was typical; naturally there were more advanced transmissions but not in econoboxes. Toyota based the Celica (which was used for motorsport) on the basic mechanicals IIRC: live axle/leafs rear, strut/A arm front on unibody. Not sure if the Corona was raced even in Japan.

Get your Nippon fix here: Japanese Nostalgic Car – Blog Search Results celica
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Hi Everyone

Here, I have seen no. of images of car which looks beautiful. It shape and color is wonderful. I think so this types of car is very costly.

There is a huge risk for companies in the States to get sued,too.
    So,playing the ball low can safe GM and co a lot of money.As far as I see the corvair:would have been nice to give it a fair chance and the last production years where far mor improved and able to perform what was expected of them.

Thread Information