Thread: 2010 Le Mans Series Spa 1000 km report and slideshow ...

2010 Le Mans Series Spa 1000 km report and slideshow ...

This weekend the idyllic Spa Francorchamps circuit in the Belgian Ardennes hosted the second round of the 2010 Le Mans Series. For many teams it also served as the final dress-rehearsal for the upcoming 24 Hours of Le Mans. Going into the race the big question was how the all-new Audi R15 plus would fare against the blisteringly quick Peugeot 908 HDI Fap. Some answers were provided but the race will be remembered for a very different reason. About two hours into the race there was a massive power outage that affected the entire paddock including the timing computers. When the back-up systems were starting to run out, the organisers were eventually forced to red flag the race. This provided a very surreal scene of endurance racers lined up nose to tail on the track's start-finish straight. After a thirty minute break the race was restarted and some order was brought to the chaos. Further havoc was provided by the changeable weather for which the Spa Francorchamps track is famous with some rain at the start and near the finish of the race. All in all it was a very eventful and above all strange Spa 1000 km race.
    Headlining the support program as always was the Classic Endurance Racing series with a remarkably large grid of 1960s and 1970s sports racers. In addition to the familiar cars, we were treated to a rarely seen Porsche 908/3, a spectacular Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona Competizione and one of just five Cheetah G601s.
    Our photographers were at the Spa Francorchamps track throughout the weekend, which has resulted in brief report and a spectacular 200-shot gallery.

2010 Le Mans Series Spa 1000 km report and slideshow
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Wow, so what caused the massive power outage?

Quote Originally Posted by aiasib View Post
    Wow, so what caused the massive power outage?
    Belgium...
    but honestly we don't know, it disappeared gradually, came back on, disappeared again, and even in the press room, where you have two rows of tables put against each other, one row tables had power and the other row had not.
    Last edited by henk4; 05-10-2010 at 01:40 PM.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

lol, I think Bernie will demand Spa to have its own powerplant to keep it from crashing his F1 TV party..
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    lol, I think Bernie will demand Spa to have its own powerplant to keep it from crashing his F1 TV party..
    actually it was not pleasant behind the pits, because all teams were running their diesel powered generators, and these were not fitted with FAPs
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

With as much stock that Audi and Peugeot put into the "clean diesel" stuff that the put on their road and racing diesels, one would think that generator makers would do the same. Here in Ohio, we've had massive multi-day power outages due to ice stroms, let alone the latest in 2008 because of what once was Hurricane Ike. And each time, I hear on the news on the radio or after power is restored that at least one person died because of generator enduced CO poisoning.
    Power to me is having the ability to make a change in a positive way. Don't dream it, be it.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    actually it was not pleasant behind the pits, because all teams were running their diesel powered generators, and these were not fitted with FAPs
    Did you note who manufactured the generators?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Did you note who manufactured the generators?
    no, but maybe some Japanese stuff.

Thread Information