Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: The world is upside down

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I feel that there are actually some (yes, maybe 5%) of Ferrari drivers that can drive.

I feel that the percentage of "drivers" of Lamborghinis is much less however; even more than Ferraris, I feel that they are just used to drop panties and impress friends and strangers.

Their lack of a manual makes perfect sense to me.
    :
    Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    This.
    Many of the "real" drivers who buy Ferraris are racing them anyways, and want the flappy paddle for the performance edge.
    there is no performance edge or indeed much racing at all for lamborghini's, therefore they are only for fun, and therefore manuals.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    :

there is no performance edge or indeed much racing at all for lamborghini's, therefore they are only for fun, and therefore manuals.
    It;s more of a flamboyant whoohoo look at me fun rather than a driving fun. If I wanted flamboyant whoohoo look at me fun I'd do it in something cheaper, and probably in bad taste.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    It;s more of a flamboyant whoohoo look at me fun rather than a driving fun. If I wanted flamboyant whoohoo look at me fun I'd do it in something cheaper, and probably in bad taste.
    A hawaiian shirt?
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Semi-autos are easier though, and require less effort, which - for rich business people and celebrities - is more important than purity, fun, heritage, or anything like that.

I think all current Porsche, Ferrari and Lambo GT racecars run sequential, semi automatic gearboxes....no manuals at all.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I think all current Porsche, Ferrari and Lambo GT racecars run sequential, semi automatic gearboxes....no manuals at all.
    So... The posers are the hardcore and the hardcore are the posers?

i don't know if i'd call straight cut sequential gearboxes semi-auto. don't they still have a clutch (iirc they do in carrera cup cars etc)
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    So... The posers are the hardcore and the hardcore are the posers?
    if defined by their choice of gearbox, possibly yes....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

The Lambo open gate for the shifter is better designed and nicer to use.

Real pity it has gone.
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco View Post
    The Lambo open gate for the shifter is better designed and nicer to use.

Real pity it has gone.
    i remember you saying as much, part of the reason i miss lambo's more.. wonder if it lives on in the R8.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    the sportomatic was not using buttons....
    Tiptronics and PDKs were/are though.
    i don't know if i'd call straight cut sequential gearboxes semi-auto. don't they still have a clutch (iirc they do in carrera cup cars etc)
    They do. And the last works race cars with full manuals that I can remember are the 320sis that BMW enter in the WTCC.

In any case, flamboyant or fast a full manual is still more fun and enjoyable in my opinion.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

They don't use them though, but AFAIK the clutches aren't actuated. The shifting is designed to cut power on the up shift and you are still supposed to blip on the down shift. In the prototypes/F1 kind of the boxes they are electro-hydraulic/pneumatically actuated, which is actually closer to what the production boxes are. DSG is more of its own animal, and is actually not allowed in most series...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

The GT racers do use the clutch, for downshifting. At least the ones that took part in this past weekend's 24h of Spa.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

They don't have to. Its the same with motorcycle gearbox(minus the flat up shift). Its preference and habit though, and its probably a better idea since if you mis-match the rev you might endup damaging the box.
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

F1 cars also have a clutch, as those who watched the BBC last weekend will know, and it is actuated via two paddles....but only for take-off.

Thread Information