Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2010 Hungarian Grand Prix (Jul 30 - Aug 1)

It's not super fair, but none of that was Webber's fault. He did as is allowed under all the rules, so unfortunately for everyone behind Vettel it's just too bad. If it was a blatantly obvious move orchestrated by Red Bull then yes, but in this case there's really no reason to penalise Webber for Vettel's cock up.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Pretty good race as Red Bull's foot collects another slug. Glad to see Mark at the top, though!

Schumacher has seemed slightly more courteous on track than his old self this season, but I suppose Barrichello made old Schumi (minus the pace) reemerge. However, anyway you look at it, it was completely unwarranted.

Though F1 has banned just about everything else, and on principle I disagree with that, I do wonder whether cars shuold be allowed to pit under the safety car. I realize they do it for the spectacle but it "corrupts" the race result just as much as any team orders in terms of faster cars being beaten out.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

And Vettel's problem....is it maturity or mentality? I'm thinking the latter.

I think the radio problem/falling asleep on restart was a poorly made up cover up.....

Norris McDonald's Auto Racing Blog

Apparently Vettel was told not to say anything specific to anyone afterwards...The goal obviously was to do a RBR 1-2 but in which the order is reversed, but either the radio problem that caused them not to orchestrate it better or something else went astrayed we probably won't know.
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Problem is, they were only aiming for 2nd for Webber - 1st was never the target. His side of the garage wouldve accepted that after being outqualified Vettel had the race sewn up barring any issues.

Therefore they didnt need Vettel to bunch up the pack. It wasnt even on the restart that Vettel dropped so far back, there were screenshots of earlier during the lap where Vettel was too far behind as well, IIRC there was one of the safety car and the train going down the pit straight with a sizeable gap between the Red Bulls.
    I am the Stig

They needed Vettel to help gap Alonso. I think Webber actually ended up running longer than they would've done since Vettel had to push to help himself gap Alonso once they realized they were going to do a drive-through, and Alonso was subsequently allowed to drive (maybe) faster than he otherwise would have. If the strategy played out the way it should, Webber probably would have pitted earlier, and Vettel would have bolted a few laps before Webber's stop so Webber will be between the two.
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

I knew that it was only a matter of time before team orders conspriacies surfaced. At least in sportscar racing or NASCAR there's no team orders. Only time in recent memory that team orders were called was in Audi's 1-2-3 at Le Mans, and that was only because the #9 Audi was nearly a lap ahead of the #8 and the #7 was two laps behind.

I'd call that a formation finish, as all Audi had to do there was finish the race and get a 1-2-3, Le Mans is(was) a non-championship race, and all 4 Peugeots self-destructed.

And as far as NASCAR's concerned, there are some team orders(letting someone lead briefly to get bonus points, etc.), but as we've seen this year, things are cut-throat, even among teammates, let alone other drivers.
    Power to me is having the ability to make a change in a positive way. Don't dream it, be it.

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    I think the radio problem/falling asleep on restart was a poorly made up cover up.....

Norris McDonald's Auto Racing Blog

Apparently Vettel was told not to say anything specific to anyone afterwards...The goal obviously was to do a RBR 1-2 but in which the order is reversed, but either the radio problem that caused them not to orchestrate it better or something else went astrayed we probably won't know.
    Or they were just wanting to avoid controversy/harsher penalties. The stewards monitor the radio chatter, so if there were orders to hold up the pack send over the airwaves I'm sure we'll hear about it. If Vettel was going to hold the pack up it'd be better to do it after the safety car pitted.. no penalties and more subtle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Dear Michael,

Please retire from F1. If you continue this way you are going to kill someone.

Thank you.
    Hes just being...well...Michael lol.

Was a bit surprised he did it on his former teammate though
    Buy a car for you, not for other people

Actually I'd figure Reubens to be the most likely target for Schuey for something like that.

They needed Vettel to help gap Alonso.
    I dont see anything to suggest that though. Vettel gapped Alonso easily at the start, as did Webber on the safety car restart and after his pitstop. They only needed enough laps on the soft tyres to make the gap, and even when they started going off, Webber was still able to lap half a second faster than Alonso. If the plan had backfired, then Webber wouldve simply been back in 3rd like before the safety car.
    I am the Stig

I think there was a degree of improvisation involved. I doubt they knew going in that the super soft will last as long as it did(Friday they won't run that long, and the track will wear differently). So they were probably going to pit Webber earlier, in which case with Vettel to act as a blocker(who does not need to pit again and does not need a huge gap to Alonso), they can operate within the known performance of the supersoft and still get Webber 2nd place. But with the penalty they had to gamble and I would not be surprised if they were constantly polling Webber as to how the tires are holding up.
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

I think there was a degree of improvisation involved. I doubt they knew going in that the super soft will last as long as it did(Friday they won't run that long, and the track will wear differently). So they were probably going to pit Webber earlier, in which case with Vettel to act as a blocker(who does not need to pit again and does not need a huge gap to Alonso), they can operate within the known performance of the supersoft and still get Webber 2nd place. But with the penalty they had to gamble and I would not be surprised if they were constantly polling Webber as to how the tires are holding up.
    This was actually the strategy that was debated by the BBC commentators, while things unfolded. If the soft tyres had not kept that long it would have been the way to go, and knowing the RBR people, to do it such a way, that Webber would emerge BEHIND Vettel but before Alonso. Anyway, the sudden attack of sleepiness that Vettel suffered from already gave Webber a two-three second bonus over Alonso.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Schumacher's move was as bad as it looked, picture Kubica's canadian 2007 crash, but with two cars out of controle into a very near wall, or worse.
    Would it be possible, to play forever?
    The conclusion reached was that a player is inevitably doomed to lose.

Thread Information