Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What if FIA didn't try to equalize performance in GT1, GT2 and GT3?

What if FIA didn't try to equalize performance in GT1, GT2 and GT3?

FIA equalizes performance a lot.
    There are a lot of cars types: inline-4s, V-8s, V-12s, turbos, mid-front-and-rear-engine, small-4-seaters

How different their performance would be if they didn't equalize?
    Which ones would lead? Whose would follow?

Near the middle of the middle of middle England.
    The richest team would lead, shortly followed by the smaller companies, with the privateers in the distance behind.
    Buying a car and not driving it is like buying a meal and not eating it.

"Oh sh*t, we're going..25!!" - A dear friend of mine.

^^^^ and passing MUCH slower back markers 10-12 times would be dangerous and a mockery of motor-racing
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

So just like 1990s-era touring cars then.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

90s was quite a good time for BTCC touring cars.
    The 2litre formula attracted a lot more cars and drivers and the only really "slow" ones were the privateers but even they may only be lapped once at most twice on the short tracks (eg KNockhill)
    BTCC :: Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    90s was quite a good time for BTCC touring cars.
    Haha sorry, I should have been more clear - I was actually referring to DTM and Japanese touring cars.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

I have a logical solution for that. make all cars GT3 spec. Scrap GT1 and make the FIA GT World Championship a GT3 spec competiton. I mean most of the current GT1 manufacturers do have GT3 spec cars allready competing. And a plus point is youll have more manufacturers competing in one competition. also might encourage other makes to prepare and enter cars. I personally would like to see GT3 spec Honda HSV-010s and Lexus LFAs
    Current - 2005 Hyundai Tucson 2.0 GLS
    Current - 1998 Honda Civic 160i Luxline

Well, AFAIK touring cars have always had all sorts of different cars entered and in some cases they could compete against each other. Rallying also presents a similar case.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

My question was what cars would win if not handicapped by FIA.

IMO the Ford GT would win.
    Big engine, great aerodynamics, wide chassis designed to race, wide tires, etc.
    I must admit the GT is not my favorite car for a street driven supercar. It's actually the Mercedez SLS.

Porsche, lower the weight, turn up the turbos, increase the intakes and fit wider wheels -- like the old days

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Porsche, lower the weight, turn up the turbos, increase the intakes and fit wider wheels -- like the old days
    i wouldn't mind..
    but afaik, the ford GT has had only mixed success in racing as they had to change a lot of it to make it competitive? outdated aero or shape or something.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    i wouldn't mind..
    but afaik, the ford GT has had only mixed success in racing as they had to change a lot of it to make it competitive? outdated aero or shape or something.
    Really? A design from 1965 has outdated aero or shape or something?

Life's too short to drive bad cars.

shush you i meant even the updated version :P
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by Big time View Post
    My question was what cars would win if not handicapped by FIA.

IMO the Ford GT would win.
    Big engine, great aerodynamics, wide chassis designed to race, wide tires, etc.
    I must admit the GT is not my favorite car for a street driven supercar. It's actually the Mercedez SLS.
    With Fird GTs being absolutely amazing as GT racers, I've heard that they're quite hard to handle - there have been many drivers mistakes from the guys on GTs during this season. That said, Makowiecki and Martin, for example, are not the guys who would have just spinned for fun from time to time - in other cars they do very well. And when they're in good relations with their GTs, they may shine.

Is the question what happens if you said anything goes with the engines or just what happens if the rule makers don't try to balance things. No engine rules is unlikely. More likely is we just come up with a bunch of equivalency rules and if they are wrong then French diesel powered cars might actually beat out gas cars because the rules happen to give diesels an advantage. Of course we know that could never happen...

Thread Information