Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: big engine and nothing else

Originally posted by Nildo
    Performance diesels have begun to really take off in Europe, and Ford announced that they will focus on diesel as the new performace motor of choice in the next decade. Does anyone know if Ford US has made the same commitment?

Ford made a tentative start by introducing the most powerful (non truck) diesel engine, a 6 litres V8 common rail diesel, giving 330 BHP and 76 Nm of torque at 2000 revs. (the Volkswagen V10 has 313 BHP and 76.4 Nm, from 5 litre displacement) It is propelling the Ford Excursion, weighing about 3500 kg, so it may require some guts to get it decently moving.

small engine american cars

guyt_x asked for one american car with a small displacement engine that can compete with the imports. Here are five:
    Dodge SRT-4; 2.4L turbocharged I-4; 215 HP, 245 lb. ft.
    Ford SVT Focus; 2.0L naturally-aspirated I-4; 170 HP, 145 lb. ft.
    Saturn Ion Redline; 2.0L supercharged I-4; 200 HP, 200 lb. ft.
    Pontiac Vibe GT; 1.8L naturally-aspirated I-4; 180 HP, 130 lb. ft.
    Chrysler PT Turbo; 2.4L turbocharged I-4; 215 HP, 245 lb. ft.

All of these are american cars. All except the PT are under $20 large with the PT being just a sliver more. All except the Redline are available now with the Redline coming in late this year or early next. All are capable of running with and beating their imported counterparts. F-bodies and Mustangs will eat any car on this list and their imported counterparts.

Re: small engine american cars

Originally posted by vader
    guyt_x asked for one american car with a small displacement engine that can compete with the imports. Here are five:
    Dodge SRT-4; 2.4L turbocharged I-4; 215 HP, 245 lb. ft.
    Ford SVT Focus; 2.0L naturally-aspirated I-4; 170 HP, 145 lb. ft.
    Saturn Ion Redline; 2.0L supercharged I-4; 200 HP, 200 lb. ft.
    Pontiac Vibe GT; 1.8L naturally-aspirated I-4; 180 HP, 130 lb. ft.
    Chrysler PT Turbo; 2.4L turbocharged I-4; 215 HP, 245 lb. ft.

All of these are american cars. All except the PT are under $20 large with the PT being just a sliver more. All except the Redline are available now with the Redline coming in late this year or early next. All are capable of running with and beating their imported counterparts. F-bodies and Mustangs will eat any car on this list and their imported counterparts.
    Interesting list, although the Focus surely is a "world" car, and most likely designed in the UK or Germany. The "hot" RS version, 220 BHP with turbo is exclusively produced in Germany, at a limited rate of 30 a day. What are F-bodies? Is this the usual abbreviation of the F-word or are we talking something else? (Please bear with me, I am not form the USA)

Re: Re: small engine american cars

Originally posted by henk4
    Is this the usual abbreviation of the F-word or are we talking something else?
    Hahahah (sorry, that was funny), F-body is another name for the Camaro and Firebird.

Re: Re: Re: small engine american cars

Originally posted by PyroManiac
    Hahahah (sorry, that was funny), F-body is another name for the Camaro and Firebird.
    Thank you, I honestly did not know.

Re: small engine american cars

Originally posted by vader
    guyt_x asked for one american car with a small ............
    ........... F-bodies and Mustangs will eat any car on this list and their imported counterparts.
    Hey 'Darth' (can I call you by your first name?) and to anyone else new to this site - can you please put your LOCATION? I can't speak for anyone else but I really would like to know we're you're coming from (literally).
    Thanks for the info on the cars - but living 'underneath' (and we don't mind at all) I'll have to do a little research to find out what half of them are.
    A pox - a pox I say -
    a pox on all those that cling to the use of the oil-burning horseless carriage and pollute the King's highways and byways.

it certainly helps to know where people are from. i had never heard of most of the cars on that list, except for the ford focus, which is, as henk suggests, a world released vehicle produced in europe.

Can anyone believe that a few stupid remarks by Guyt_x has led to 10 pages of debate?!

I did want to say anything

but I have at least got people talking ....

mainly about me but still

and vader... could you please fill us in on the performance of these startship battlecruisers of yours?

Originally posted by Nildo
    it certainly helps to know where people are from. i had never heard of most of the cars on that list, except for the ford focus, which is, as henk suggests, a world released vehicle produced in europe.

Can anyone believe that a few stupid remarks by Guyt_x has led to 10 pages of debate?!
    Well, knowing where people are from does that change your opinion about what they are saying? I had this debate before with Guy, who was adamant to know from which country I am.
    My point is that I am expressing my own opinion and not that of my country, (which has no automotive industry to speak of apart from Donkervoort and Spijker, jeez, now I gave it away).

Talking about the list of small engined US-cars again, I think that besides of the Focus only the PT turbo is available in Europe. (the best selling version is the 2.2 CRDI, fitted with a Mercedes engine) If the other cars are as good as claimed, why aren't these being exported, US$ is low so that would give an opportunity. I can't imagine that demand in the USA is so large that no cars are left for export. Could there be another reason, i.e. that these cars would not up against the competiton?

only americans drive american cars

90% of american cars dont make it to european shores or any other shores, because they are to big and most countries dont have there fuel price.

Re: only americans drive american cars

Originally posted by guyt_x
    90% of american cars dont make it to european shores or any other shores, because they are to big and most countries dont have there fuel price.
    you dumb****ing piece of ignorant shit READ THE ****ING THREAD, american cars get roughly the same gas mileage as the rest of the world. they just happen to have room to fit people, and horsepower to go along with it. you are seriously the most ignorant hardheaded dumbass i have EVER seen

Re: Re: only americans drive american cars

Originally posted by Tahoeman
    you dumb****ing piece of ignorant shit READ THE ****ING THREAD, american cars get roughly the same gas mileage as the rest of the world. they just happen to have room to fit people, and horsepower to go along with it. you are seriously the most ignorant hardheaded dumbass i have EVER seen
    Amen Tahoeman... Amen. It is beyond the scope of comprehension how ignorant this guy is.
    Jay 13.3 @ 109 stock.

Re: Re: only americans drive american cars

Originally posted by Tahoeman
    I suggest you start to adopt the noble art of ignoring. I guess your subject just loves to read what you just wrote.

Originally posted by henk4
    As far as I know engine builders feel that in almost all instances it makes more sense to go for OHC. Any clues why?
    More valves, I guess. More valves allows the engine to drive at higher speeds. VVT also is something OHV's can't pull off.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe." -- Albert Einstein

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity." -- Robert Heinlein

American by birth.
    Proud by choice.

I collect Hot Wheels. Got a problem with that?

I can give one advantage to the push-rod, non OHC... weight. When you talk about a large displacement engine like the 5.7 L Vette engine, or the 8.3 L Viper engine. If they had DOHC, they would weigh a lot more.
    Jay 13.3 @ 109 stock.

Thread Information