Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: big engine and nothing else

Unfortunately, the EPA test does not reflect the current speed limit. From what I have read elsewhere:

"The EPA GAS MILEAGE GUIDE, available at each dealership, points out that the actual mileage when driving a vehicle may differ considerably from the estimated mileage. The guide also describes how vehicles are tested under identical conditions to ensure that the results can be compared with confidence.

The EPA GAS MILEAGE GUIDE also points out that the city fuel economy estimate simulates a 7.5 mile stop-and-go trip with an average speed of 20 mph. The trip takes 23 minutes and has 18 stops. About 18 percent of the time is spent idling, as in waiting at traffic lights or in rush hour traffic. Two kinds of engine starts are used: the cold start, which is similar to starting a car in the morning after it has been parked all night, and the hot start, similar to restarting a vehicle after it has been warmed up, driven and stopped for a short time.

The test to determine the highway fuel economy estimate represents a mixture of "non-city" driving. Segments corresponding to different kinds of rural roads and interstate highways are included. The test simulates a 10-mile trip and averages 48 mph. The test is run from a hot start and has little idling time and no stops.

The EPA GAS MILEAGE GUIDE explains that the actual test results are adjusted downward to arrive at the estimates used in the booklet and on the labels. City estimates are lowered by 10 percent and the highway estimate by 22 percent from the laboratory test results. The guide also points out that traveling at higher speeds lowers fuel economy and traveling at 65 mph instead of 55 mph lowers fuel economy over 15 percent."

With regard to the Z06, Automobile Magazine's drive of one in Europe noted:
    "Even in Modena, the Corvette Z06 attracts attention. Questions are all about performance, of course. Acceleration? Oh, a bit quicker to 100 kph than a Porsche Turbo. Top speed? Oh, about 300 kph. Okay, that's stretching a bit, according to our technical director, but it's close enough for bench racing. In any case, our interrogators nod their heads, completely persuaded by the car's serious aura. Ah, yes, they say, looking at the impressive red valve covers and curved induction pipes, but it must really suck up the fuel, yes? No, not really. About 9 liters per 100 km (26 mpg). And that's where the Italian, French, and Swiss enthusiasts walk away, disgusted by our outrageous exaggeration.
    But that's actually what we did on motorway trips, cruising at 93 mph plus, a bit better than in our own Renault Scenic running at 81 mph. That astonishing economy is perhaps the most impressive part of the Corvette's abilities; one expects the rest."

Of their long-term test car at home in the States, they wrote:
    "Nonetheless, this is a supremely competent long-distance tourer - fast (oh so fast), comfortable, and economical. This last is a real surprise, as you don't usually expect 27 miles per gallon from a 385-hp car. Yet at a steady 80 mph, with occasional forays into the triple digits, our Z06 was sipping gas like a Corolla."

Ozexige. I know this is a bit old but I have only read it. "You're right again - but some of the LS1's they put in Monaro's (HSV's, GTO's) gave them trouble and like most car makers, GMH beat around the bush about fixing them and made it worse.
    They'll get it right eventually".
    The LS1 in the Commodores is, as posted previously, by others a fine motor. What it lacks for in VVT, OHC etc it makes up for in basic engineering. I own a VY with an LS1 and have covered15000k with no problems or oil usege. Plenty of power , torque and not bad economy. I use it as a business vehicle with lots of stop start city driving.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Originally posted by crisis
    Ozexige.

The LS1 in the Commodores is, as posted previously, by others a fine motor. What it lacks for in VVT, OHC etc it makes up for in basic engineering. I own a VY with an LS1 and have covered15000k with no problems or oil usege. Plenty of power , torque and not bad economy. I use it as a business vehicle with lots of stop start city driving.
    'Vette engines, small block, big block (427 - drool...) are without doubt the sexiest engines in the world. - But
    GM did beat around the bush, if your customer has a problem - fix it, don't make ANY excuses - just fix it!
    ALL manufacturers (of any product) should approach problems with an attitude that says
    "I want your return business and that of your friends" NOT "I don't give a shit and you're only one person, how's it gonna hurt me if I tell you to piss off!"
    Talk to the truckies who tried to take on Ford (yuck! - wash my mounth out) a couple of years ago - all they got was a 'truck-load' of bullshit.

I WISH I OWNED A 427 MONARO.....

A pox - a pox I say -
    a pox on all those that cling to the use of the oil-burning horseless carriage and pollute the King's highways and byways.

Originally posted by Guibo
    Unfortunately, the EPA test does not reflect the current speed limit..............

"...................

Yet at a steady 80 mph, with occasional forays into the triple digits, our Z06 was sipping gas like a Corolla."
    Some dickhead like Guyt will still dispute the facts - but who cares - we know he's a dickhead

A pox - a pox I say -
    a pox on all those that cling to the use of the oil-burning horseless carriage and pollute the King's highways and byways.

why was i banned

but any how

only stupid americans and convicts here

so long people

Originally posted by Guibo
    But that's actually what we did on motorway trips, cruising at 93 mph plus, a bit better than in our own Renault Scenic running at 81 mph. That astonishing economy is perhaps the most impressive part of the Corvette's abilities; one expects the rest."

Of their long-term test car at home in the States, they wrote:
    "Nonetheless, this is a supremely competent long-distance tourer - fast (oh so fast), comfortable, and economical. This last is a real surprise, as you don't usually expect 27 miles per gallon from a 385-hp car. Yet at a steady 80 mph, with occasional forays into the triple digits, our Z06 was sipping gas like a Corolla." [/B]
    Well that sums it up nicely, just wondering what the gearing is, or what sorts of speed do you get in top gear running 2000 revs. Would it be possible that our aussie contributors have some fuel economy figures on LS1 fitted cars over there? Then we might get a better insight if it is the Corvette or the engine that is so frugal.

LS1 fuel figures

The LS1 is geared pretty high in the Commodore. It comes as a six speed manual. I have posted this elsewhere but am happy to respond. I drive around the city daily as I am a sales rep and return an average from a weekly tankful of around 15-16 litres per 100k. On an interstate trip I recently completed over 2000k, I returned an average of 10lt per 100k. It sits just over 1000rpm at 110kmh in 6th.

Re: LS1 fuel figures

The LS1 is geared pretty high in the .............
    ............. On an interstate trip I recently completed over 2000k, I returned an average of 10lt per 100k. It sits just over 1000rpm at 110kmh in 6th.
    F...K ME - 1000rpm at 110kmh

A pox - a pox I say -

Originally posted by henk4
    Well that sums it up nicely, just wondering what the gearing is, or what sorts of speed do you get in top gear running 2000 revs. Would it be possible that our aussie contributors have some fuel economy figures on LS1 fitted cars over there? Then we might get a better insight if it is the Corvette or the engine that is so frugal.
    The question with the Commodore seems to be resolved, but to answer your question, this is the gearing on the Z06:

"Final-drive ratio . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .3.42:1, limited slip

Gear Ratio Mph/1000 rpm Max. test speed

I 2.97 7.4 48 mph (6500 rpm)
    II 2.07 10.6 69 mph (6500 rpm)

III 1.43 15.3 100 mph (6500 rpm)
    IV 1.00 21.9 143 mph (6500 rpm)

V 0.84 26.1 168 mph (6450 rpm)
    VI 0.56 39.2 155 mph (4000 rpm)"

As you can see, fifth and particularly sixth are fairly lazy overdrive gear ratios. You could comfortably slot it in 5th in mild traffic on the highway, and still have a good balance of economy AND thrust to make passing maneuvers. That's where the torque provided by a large engine comes into play. MT tested a Viper on a winding mountain road, and noted you could just about leave it in 3rd gear the whole time. And I've read elsewhere that the Shelby Cobra with the 427 was capable of standing quarter mile times of 16.2 seconds. All done in top gear (4th).
    With the case of the Z06, it's a combination of car and engine. It's a torquey, flexible engine combined with a lightweight car. It's some 200-300 lbs lighter than a standard Corvette. Some of that is due to weight reduction in the wheels & tires (non runflats), suspension, exhaust (made of titanium), and glass (thinner than standard Corvettes).

Re: Re: LS1 fuel figures

Originally posted by ozexige
    F...K ME - 1000rpm at 110kmh

If it's mated to a T-56 with a .5:1 6th gear and a 3.42 rear-end... 1000 RPM @ 110 km/h is an exageration.

110 kmh/h = approx 67 mph...

In my LS1 Trans Am WS6... 67 mph is achieved at about 1500 RPMs.

I cruise typically at 80 mph (about 127 km/h) -- 1900 RPMs.
    Jay 13.3 @ 109 stock.

Re: why was i banned

Originally posted by Guyt_lame
    but any how

only stupid americans and convicts here

so long people

LOL...

not sure if that's really him or someone making fun...

but damn funny either way.
    Jay 13.3 @ 109 stock.

Re: Re: Re: LS1 fuel figures

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
    If it's mated to a T-56 with a .5:1 6th gear and a 3.42 rear-end... 1000 RPM @ 110 km/h is an exageration.

110 kmh/h = approx 67 mph...

In my LS1 Trans Am WS6... 67 mph is achieved at about 1500 RPMs.

I cruise typically at 80 mph (about 127 km/h) -- 1900 RPMs.
    Your right. I ****ed up. Its actually around 1500rpm at 110kmh. I tried it again after I wrote that bit. I pulled 90kmh at 1250rpm. Sorry. Just proves you cant believe everything some wanker writes on the web!

Re: Re: Re: Re: LS1 fuel figures

......... proves you cant believe everything some wanker writes on the web!
    Who you callin' a wanker - you wanker!
    A pox - a pox I say -

once more a thread killed by ozexige, hip hip hurrah

Re: big engine and nothing else

Originally posted by guyt_x
    people when are the yanks going to realise now that power and speed are produced using technology and clever ideas(there is where americans fall the most short).

American cars are all engine size and nothing else I mean really do u need a 7 litre car to achieve a 0-60 time of +-4secs ....
    NO!

and the only reaon why people are nostalgic about american cars is due to that fact that they where the first "cheap" big engine cars wipee skip.

I wount even think of comparing european cars becuase there is just no comtest.

I realize this guy is banned, but I want to make a few points...

U.S. cars have been using technology and clever ideas since the 1950s (even in the late '40s with Cadillac and Oldsmobile's modern OHV V-8). In the '50s, maximum horsepower went from 180 in 1951 (Chrysler's 331-cu-in Hemi) to 390 by 1957 (Chrysler's 392- Hemi).

In some cases, a 7-liter engine is needed for a car to do a 4-sec. 0-60 mph. time. If the car owner needs a car big enough to seat 4-6 passengers and have a good-sized trunk. The mid-sized '63 Mopar Max Wedge (413 and 426 engines) and '64 Ford Thunderbolt (427) factory race cars could seat at least 5 and ran 0-60 mph. in the 4-sec. bracket (and 1/4 miles in the 12s and even high 11's).

American engines of the '60s were not only "cheap" but tough (durable). There are still some '60s American cars driving around on the original, unrebuilt engine.

guyt_x is right; in many cases, European cars can't compare to American cars.
    For instance, the last I heard, the fastest 1/4 mile time for a Super Stock car (a production car with a certain amount of modifications allowed) is a 1968 Plymouth Hemi- Barracuda. Its 1/4 mile time is 9.51 secs. @ 140 mph. (approximately, I forgot the exact figure). Anyway, this time is without nitrous or a super/turbo charger.

Also, the fastest production-line cars were the 1968 Hemi- Dart and Barracuda. These were equipped with the 426-race Hemi, 12.5:1 compression ratio, 550 horsepower and a choice of 4-spd manual (4.89 gears) and 3-spd auto (4.86 gears). Right from the factory, these cars ran a mid-10 sec. 1/4 mile at 130 mph. They had functional headlights and wipers so they could be street-driven.

Thread Information