Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Close Call at Sebring

Florida state flag w/ my little town's logo and slogan: "Where the Tropics Begin".

The mirrors are from a 996 I think, previous owner chose them... don't look right to me but they work.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    lol i don't do 914's, never seen them tracked

and damn was that close!
    Our shop maintains a few of them and we have a rental 914 too.

What races are you thinking of doing csl?
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Henk, Laguna 2011 isn't a done deal yet... we're going, just not certain I'll run this car. You know this business Johnny, based on transport/support costs we'll do an abbreviated schedule closest to home: Homestead/Daytona/Sebring/Palm Beach/Hilton Head and
    maybe Atlanta. I love this 911 which is a rental/purchase option; but another guy wants to buy it now. Depending on that outcome it's more practical for me to complete the 914/6 GT for 2012, and rent as needed until then. My wife is happily supportive... she was ready for the '68 to be in the collection even after learning the ACTUAL costs involved.

Good deal. If we have enough customers going, I might at some of those. How far along is your 914/6?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv View Post
    Good deal. If we have enough customers going, I might at some of those. How far along is your 914/6?
    Cool... hope we cross paths. No major things done on the GT since June, but it's straight and clean so maybe 6-8 months 'till it looks like the second photo. Have accumulated most of the parts including the lightweight pieces, engine underway & gearbox done, paint in January.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What are you using for a gear box? Do you think you are going to stick with the goodyears? Most of our drivers have switched to the R888's, you can't slide the car through turns as you can with the bias plys, but they last longer and have excellent grip. One downside is if you get them to hot, they get very slippery and don't gain back any grip until the next heat cycle. What color will the car be?

We have an 88 too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by johnnynumfiv; 12-18-2010 at 02:36 PM.

I really like the R888s, great tire... though I did experience what you described in practice and had a huge tank-slapper as a result.
    Thought I'd driven through oil! Also like RA-1s, have a set on my CSL but getting harder to find. Regardless, 15" wheels limit choices.

The 914 stays orange.

only thing i like about the R888's is the longevity..
    had RA1's as targa/rally tire choice and current road tires. good compromise!
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    only thing i like about the R888's is the longevity..
    had RA1's as targa/rally tire choice and current road tires. good compromise!
    The R888 is the RA1's replacement. They are getting phased out and I think they stopped production. We had some issues getting the RA1's in the sizes we needed so we had to go with the R888's. Another thing thats nice with the R888's is that you run in the rain with them.

Johnny, do you work for VRS? Looks like we'll do PBIR, Sebring (twice), the Mitty, Hilton Head and Daytona Historics...
    pulled the trigger and bought the '68 911. Still plan to have the 914/6 done in 2011 but probably not race it. Yet.
    Last edited by csl177; 01-01-2011 at 08:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    Johnny, do you work for VRS? Looks like we'll do PBIR, Sebring (twice), possibly the Mitty, Hilton Head and Daytona Historics...
    pulled the trigger and bought the '68 911. Still plan to have the 914/6 done in 2011 but probably not race it. Yet.
    Yes I do. What does the 68 have done to it?

Nice shop! No wonder you see that Bilboa often, that's gotta be a fun job. The '68 was built by KlubSport for a customer that spared no expense: the already mentioned KWM twin-plug 2.0 (sweeeet engine!) full NASCAR cage, raised spindle front and rear suspension with every trick component the rules allow. Ames on-board telemetry, cool suit pump, radio system, lexan windows, plastic doors/fenders/hoods, etc., etc. I'm keeping the livery pretty much as it is with a few small changes, and replacing the 994-996 mirrors with period correct Durants or Raydyots. Spares package is good, includes 3 sets of wheels, fenders with headlights, gearbox. Build cost was easily 2 1/2 times purchase price. Glad someone else stroked those checks.
    Last edited by csl177; 12-30-2010 at 11:21 PM.

Yea it's pretty cool. Sounds like a great car. I think I might have seen it at LRP Vintage. You should be able to rev to 8k+ with that 2.0 right? We have a '67 2L thats prepped similar to yours, hopefully you will meet on the track sometime. Nice spares package too. How does their support system work? Do you have to bring your own chemicals/oil, or small spares(sparkplugs, hardware, filters etc)?

Yeah, was told up to 8250 was OK, getting used to the car I shifted at about 7,800. Telemetry showed it bouncing off 11K when 2nd gear went away. Thankfully nothing major on inspection afterwards... a stout motor, counted my blessings. Track support is superb including catering, driver lounge, etc., priced reasonably and they're good guys. We've been friends since 1995 when they built a cage for one of my cars. Everything but consumables is included; oil/gas/plugs/filters/tires and of course any broken hard bits. DEs cost me up to $1000 per day on my own with no time to relax; the arrive & drive deal is cheap in comparison for much more hassle-free seat time.
    Of course, tipping the crew isn't included but they appreciate it.

Looking forward to meeting sometime next year... we'll see how we do against one of your guys 2.0s!

Thread Information