Thread: New BMW engine, Geneva show cars and NAIAS gallery ...

New BMW engine, Geneva show cars and NAIAS gallery ...

German manufacturer BMW has today released the first details of a new generation of engines. Known as 'Twin Power', these sophisticated engines promise to deliver the same performance of existing engines that have a larger displacement and/or more cylinders. Debuting in this X1, the first one certainly produces impressive figures. Displacing just 2 litres, this four-cylinder puts out a staggering 245 bhp and 350 Nm of torque. This is the result of combination direct injection, variable valve timing and a twin-scroll turbocharger. The latter ensures that a large portion of the torque is already available from idle, which sets it apart from conventional high performance turbocharged engines. In addition to yielding more power, the cutting-edge 'four' also offers better fuel mileage and a reduction in emissions. We certainly look forward to seeing the engine in something a little more exciting than the X1 xDrive28i.
    Even though the NAIAS in Detroit is still open to the public, manufacturers are already looking ahead to the upcoming show in Geneva, set to kick off early in March. Mazda will unveil the Minagi Concept, which is the second show car using the recently introduced 'Kodo' design language. Compatriots Mitsubishi are also set to release a concept; the somewhat awkwardly named Concept Global Small. Weird as it may be, the name does relate the purpose of the show car.
    Speaking off Detroit; our North American reporter Rob Clements ventured out to the Michigan city last week. His exploits can be seen in this exclusive 100-shot gallery with all the highlights of the show.

Enjoy the links:

2011 BMW X1 xDrive28i - Images, Specifications and Information

2011 Mazda Minagi Concept - Images, Specifications and Information

2011 Mitsubishi Concept Global Small - Images, Specifications and Information

1937 Alfa Romeo 8C 2900B Corto Pinin Farina Spider - Images, Specifications and Information

NAIAS Gallery
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

The straight six is a dying breed, even at BMW...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

A couple thoughts/questions while looking through the slideshow.

1. Is Venturi gonna produce the America? It seems like it's been visiting various auto shows forever.

2. Could Mercedes have picked a more annoying color for the SLS E-Cell?

3. And what made Porsche decide to adopt Spyker's factory livery for their new race cars? The 911 Hyrbrid RSR and now the 918 RSR both have it.

I'm kind or surprised that they're using the -28i moniker for the new turbo 2.0. I'da thunk they'd've gone -25i and -23i (presuming there's two different tunes).

Edit: Also 245bhp out of a 2.0T isn't staggering at all.. Hyundai/Kia get 274... and more torque.
    Last edited by pimento; 01-19-2011 at 07:18 PM.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrafan427 View Post
    A couple thoughts/questions while looking through the slideshow.
    1. Is Venturi gonna produce the America? It seems like it's been visiting various auto shows forever.
    Kinda doubt it, but who knows? Paris intro was just last September so they've been getting good exposure for the effort.
    2. Could Mercedes have picked a more annoying color for the SLS E-Cell?
    Yes. At least it isn't painted green.
    3. And what made Porsche decide to adopt Spyker's factory livery for their new race cars? The 911 Hyrbrid RSR and now the 918 RSR both have it.
    The hybrid RSR had a similar two-tone, but really didn't copy... and the 918 RSR mimics Gulf livery from their glory days. I like it.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Thread Information