Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DJ Falc vs GTS

DJ Falc vs GTS

Wheels recently tested the DJR Falcon against the HSV GTS and voted the GTS the winner. While it is really splitting hairs with these two, the 320kw, $90,000 Falcon came second to the 300kw $98,000 GTS as the improved steering and suspension combined with its speed gave it the edge. Seems the weight disadvantaged BA cant take a trick in V8 form. In any event they are both great cars so Ford fans will not be swayed by this result.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

What i'd like to know is which fat arse Wheels got to do the performance testing.......14.6 and 6.9 on the timesheets is slower than a stock XR8, yet street machine compared it to a clubby producing a similar 250rwkw ouput that was pulling mid 13 second wuarter mile times and the HP320 was only a bumper behind. Perhaps Dick Johnson will start fitting the Fairmont interior now that Ford have offered it on the XR range.....
    I am the Stig

The report mentioned the DJR's gearing hampering it. Generally speaking, Wheels (and Motor) often don't seem inclined to give the nod to after market vehicles in comparisons.

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    What i'd like to know is which fat arse Wheels got to do the performance testing.......14.6 and 6.9 on the timesheets is slower than a stock XR8, yet street machine compared it to a clubby producing a similar 250rwkw ouput that was pulling mid 13 second wuarter mile times and the HP320 was only a bumper behind. Perhaps Dick Johnson will start fitting the Fairmont interior now that Ford have offered it on the XR range.....
    Funny thing was strret machine dint have the car with one eprson and if i rember correctly the driver was Geof Paradise the editor...and like most of the staff at street machine has had driveing lessons and has done some drag racweing in his time....at times i doubt the ability of the wheels drivers.....
    And motorsport is quite right....the EL SVO despite strong showings against all other vehicals always came close to or bottom of the comparisons....

well the test street machine done had both the clubby and the HP320 at about 250rwkw and the DJR car was only down by about 0.1-0.2 of a second by their predictions, and the clubby turned about a 13.4-13.5 which i think is about what HSV claim for the car stock when its got about 220rwkw.

i think both ford and dick johnson are taking their approach a bit too softly, wheels thought that even the HP320 was a bit too soft. HSV really seem to be taking the GTS as a road racer with no luxury compromises (despite the climate control air, leather and full electronic adjustment) and FPV still seem to be trying to accomodate for people who want to be able to sit back and drive with 2 fingers on the wheel
    I am the Stig

Its is soft but DJ is targeting slightly diffrent markets to the Clubsport....anmd when they say to soft they mean for the performance...its still as easy to drive and as complaint as anything else in ford stabels...

He says hes practically filling the void FPV have left by not targetting the HSV GTS models, but still along a different philosophy to what HSV use. hopefully FPV dont keep the cars soft when they roll out a GTHO model.
    I am the Stig

It will be oft..shit even the GTS isoft...it will be fast...it will havegood seats and of all bloody things it will have all the luxuries under the sun...soft....itll be as soft as a bloody authopedic pillow....
    But im raveing sill no doubt be a good car...just you cant really call any newer cars soft to me their all too damn soft....all i want is unassisted stearing and a more raw ride...and less options (i can wind my own windows down ty very much)

i think what you want is a Lotus 7 or Exige.....

the manufacturers need to make the cars soft in certain areas, otherwise people wont be able to take the most out of the car that they can unless theyre names Mark Skaife or Marcos Ambrose. Ontop of that, theyre all based of 4 door family sedans, so you cant get around that unless yuo want to heavily re-engineer the car which is too costly
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon500
    It will be oft..shit even the GTS isoft...it will be fast...it will havegood seats and of all bloody things it will have all the luxuries under the sun...soft....itll be as soft as a bloody authopedic pillow....
    But im raveing sill no doubt be a good car...just you cant really call any newer cars soft to me their all too damn soft....all i want is unassisted stearing and a more raw ride...and less options (i can wind my own windows down ty very much)
    Im not sure how hard you want it. These cars are still road cars. Not track cars.

Still compare these road cars to road cars several years ago...thery where much rougher and didnt get the tiel of beds on wheels...i despise not being able to hear the engine (something about the sunny thats shits me up the wall) and the ultra soft (useless) suspension in the sunny also....cars can be soft but there come a point when its bad....prime example the power stearing units in 80s falcons and commadores....

Cars that crash over potholes, jump over speed bumps, have terrible sound deadening, have light steering and you cant sit back and relax for a moment arent socially acceptable anymore. People still market them like BMW with their M3 CSL, but as crisis said when it gets to that point, theyre no longer road cars, and become street legal track cars. If DJR was to make a rougher version of the HP320, and HSV were also to do the same with their GTS, then no doubt it would cost more to buy because of the extra effort and labour gone into producing the cars, and i dont know how many people would pay more for less
    I am the Stig

Cost more for Less...well its really a trade off...a more able feeling,lighter and more ecconomical Vehical is not really going to hurt the enviroment anymore then a normal car which has an extra 100+ kilos with contact on the road and takes more fuelto move.....Alsoi never said anything like v8 super cars....peoplesay that the old GTs where raw....they wernt the people who say it usually are poofs from wheels....read australian musclecar if you want to hear about them kind of cars.....they where rougher then modern cars but not raw like they would explain it....the same stearing feel will make itfeel more steady on the track and give a less experianced driver (whos likly to panick and reef in any direction!) a chance at reagaining controll....

The SV8 is pretty firm with 17" wheels and FE2. I imagine it goes progressively up through the R8 with 18"s to the GTS with 19s and even firmer suspension. As I said how firm is firm enough? ( I obviously havent driven a GTS)

Well the VY2 GTS with the adjustable Ohlins, on the lowest setting (1) has the same stiffness of a Clubsport. On its stiffest setting (8), its got about 20% more than the VY1 GTS. I think the Senator is softer than the Clubsport, but still with some sport edge, kinda like how Ford describe the GT's settings
    I am the Stig

Thread Information