Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Car ownership, advice welcomed

Forgot to say, I'm on the verge of buying this:
    Peugeot 206 1.4 3-doors, 2 airbags, ABS, power-steering/windows/mirros, AC, CD stereo. Deadly cheap, would be mine for 2.800 €, with a whooping 150 € off.

Peugeot 206 usata - 1.4 3p. xt ( a modena) inserito il 06/04/2011

Thoughts????
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    A - because I'm not a relative of our Prime Minister
    B - because it appears my ancestors come from Spain
    C - because the fine is between 150 and 600 € plus between 2 and 8 months of suspended license
    Perfect! Just lie some more.
    Forgot to say, I'm on the verge of buying this:
    Peugeot 206 1.4 3-doors, 2 airbags, ABS, power-steering/windows/mirros, AC, CD stereo. Deadly cheap, would be mine for 2.800 €, with a whooping 150 € off.

Peugeot 206 usata - 1.4 3p. xt ( a modena) inserito il 06/04/2011

Thoughts????
    The ad says 2.500€.

Look fine, altough blue cloth seats are a bit french... However being under a ton and having 55kw, isn't it too performing for the law?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

The ad say 2.500 €, then you have to add the property tax which is 420 € or there about (the dealer said 450 €). So all in all would be 2.950 €, I'd get it for 2.800 €, all checked with a 12 months insurance, which is something similar to a warranty, just much more limited. Only main parts are covered and generally it just means they (the insurance company) will pay for a part/all the repair costs.

The law requires the dry weight + 75 kg of driver, so it's fine. Just found a ministerial website with a YES/NO filter based on the plate, the car is fine and weirdly enough even the Clio.

A similar car would be a 2001 Fiat Punto 1.2 8v, similarly equipped with 130.000 km.
    Would cost a bit over 3.000 €, not sure how much as my father found it near their place, not here in Modena. No warranty, which is weird as it should be mandatory but perhaps cars older than 10 years are exempted.
    I'd go for the Pug, even if the Clio is eligible.

The 206 run just fine during the quick test, and given none of them is a rocket or the kind of deal you can't miss, I'm quite interested in saving 1.500 € (Clio is 4.000 € plus tax property).

Go for the Peugeot!
    It's a good car, only problem truly with that car is that it's seats can be a bit painful for the back for trips over 200km.
    But very good, proven, little car. (it won a lot of awards when it premiered)
    Also known as:
    CTD and CrashTestDummy

The looks are the only thing that would prevent me from buying it.
    Go for it. Nothing to loose there.
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

Not a big fan of the gaping plastic maw, but aside from that it looks pretty solid.
    Little Peugeots are supposed to be good fun to drive, no? That low weight should also do some favors for economy and whatnot as well.

The CC (cabrio-coupe) model was known for its ill fated handling, with a way too happy tail ready to overtake you. A less evident problem on the standard car. I'm not sure if I'd call it fun to drive though. I did my driving school with one, and it seemed more chunky than this one (admittedly this had only one, capable owner, not a hundred of newbies).

As for comfort, I think any car of this segment isn't suitable for long trips. I know the standard Punto isn't but I survived many long trips in one, even managed to sleep on the back seats (I'm 183 cm tall). No idea on the Grande Punto (Revo?), but I'd expect it to be much better, obviously.

This seems roomier enough for our needs for when we visit my parents up north (400 km, to and from), and large enough to not be just a waving flag when passing close to a lorry.

I'm happy with the price, mostly. The AC kicked in immediately and didn't emanate any stinky smell, stereo was decently working. The engine was silent and relatively ready when called into action, even if it won't pop the tires any time soon.
    It comes with winter tires, which seems to be at a 50/70% condition. A new seat of all season tires (we don't have summer tires, I guess) will cost around 200 €, which is fine.

The remote locking doesn't perfectly work. It will just lock the car, to open it I'll still need to use the key. No big deal, and definitely better than the other way around I think, I surely couldn't open the car by mistake.

Front and rear lights' glasses were OK, no sign of humidity inside, and the cover wasn't getting opaque or anything.

There is a chance I'll get an LPG system installed if I manage to get into the incentives campaign in time. Would save about half the price on the system, so about 500 € or a bit more, and LPG costs between 0.7 and 0.9 €/L, while petrol costs no less than 1.40 and up to 1.60 €/L.That would mean a smaller trunk, but that's why it has the rear seats I guess .

If I'll take the car tomorrow, it should be on the road by Wednesday next week. As a gearhead, I'm hesitant in concluding the deal on my first car, and as a money-saver I'm hesitant to spend so much money.

Other than that, I guess that is.
    Hell, I always hated the 206 and its owners

Hell, I always hated the 206 and its owners
    Don't I had (have) the same problem with Audis...
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Don't I had (have) the same problem with Audis...
    Yours has twice thw displacement, and it used to be almost a flagship. Not sure if that's better or worse.

Best part is that I won't take the train anymore. Hooray!!!

My friend has a 206. It keeps leaving her stranded.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

If you go for it, buy a different front kit. It will very possibly look a lot better. For example, many Pug owners here did that (not to rice the hell out of it, but to get rid of that stupid grin).
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

Not my favourite for sure, but considering the alternatives...

Go with the LPG, if you can get it for 500€ it's a great deal, over here the cheapest is about 1500€.

Are you opting forr the torus gas tank?
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Yours has twice thw displacement, and it used to be almost a flagship. Not sure if that's better or worse.
    Tis good. Except when the tank manages to empty itself.

Which is always.
    Visca Catalunya!

DEAL

Made the advanced payment, the car is undergoing some general checks, will be ready by Thursday or Wednesday.
    Can't wait.

Got a nice surprise from the insurance company, for once, there is a deal going on right now, 28% off if I subscribe to some sort of club which seems pretty much harmless. I'll check another office on Monday to compare the price.

So The Italian Junkyard owns a French econobox.
    Makes sense.

DEAL

Made the advanced payment, the car is undergoing some general checks, will be ready by Thursday or Wednesday.
    Can't wait.

Got a nice surprise from the insurance company, for once, there is a deal going on right now, 28% off if I subscribe to some sort of club which seems pretty much harmless. I'll check another office on Monday to compare the price.

So The Italian Junkyard owns a French econobox.
    Makes sense.
    Congratulations LotD! May your roads be clear in the Pug!

Pics when you get it!

Thread Information