Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Audi A9 Coupe Coming in 2014 - Report

Until now, they've managed to do the "many brands" job quite well, because unlike GM's models, their cars tend to not cannibalize each others sales because each brand is aimed at completely different customers. Even SEAT, their eternal black sheep, slowly returns to profit... future will show.
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

I dunno... Yes, they certainly seem to have it figured out a little more lucidly than your GMs and your Fords. That said, I am still waiting on the other foot to drop in this whole "VAG as the largest car company on Earth" scenario.
    My guess would be that they make most of their profits on vehicles badged as Audis and VWs (EDIT: and Porsches) and at the next bump in the economic road they will start jettisoning the "outside" brands.
    Last edited by f6fhellcat13; 06-26-2011 at 06:23 PM.

Mind you hellcat, if what the pundits say is true, that was the biggest bump since the Great Depression, and VW Group did OK - did they not? Audi has been gaining massively on BMW and M-B, and VW itself as I recall is doing well China.

I think that the current automaker battle is for the east, and if VW can use it's might to be the European automaker of choice in China, India, et al (they already have a great position in another BRIC country - Brazil), they could hold their evil empire together.

I was thinking about their brands today, and it isn't as bad as I thought. Beyond Bugatti - which I think is a pointless halo brand - and SEAT and Skoda - which are remnants of the past - VW Group is fairly strong. VW, Audi, Bentley, Porsche, and Lamborghini all seem just diverse enough - and yet just similar enough - to be very beneficial to the group as a whole.

In Audi's journey upmarket I can see it stepping on Bentley's toes more and more, also Audi could interfere with the profitable parts of Porsche; the sedans and SUVs. Lamborghini cannot be a high-profit organization.

That means there is some light cannibalization going on in the premium parts of the group, though we'll have to wait for the first wave of Porsches under VW management to really see.

At the bottom end, VW seems to be going a little upmarket which leaves more space below it for SEAT but encroaches on Skoda. To be honest Skoda and SEAT both confound me; I am not sure to which market segment they are pandering and why they still exist.

VW is also muchly focused on selling more cars in the US - see the new Jetta and Passat having US specific models. They want the Passat to be troubling Camry and Accord sales.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

I agree with you on the premium brand sales cannibalization.

I don't care much about Bentley's "entry level" cars though (the Continental), so I don't mind if they don't sell. I don't care for Audi at all really, so I couldn't care less what happens to them.

Porsche though could suffer at the hands of VW Group, how exactly, I am unsure, but things have been going so well for them pre-VW Group takeover, that I guess part of me thinks that things can only get worse.

Lamborghinis have looked absolutely stunning since being bought by VW (I would thank Luc Donckerwolke for their current design direction), and say what you will about their layout, they still throw out some hardcore models every now and then (Balboni, SV) and have enough money to develop more product that I am happy with them - Lamborghini and Porsche are my favourite VW brands, and as long as they stay in good shape then I suppose I am happy - this I would guess though necessitates that VW Group itself is doing well, and I must admit, I am not a fan and would rather see GM, Ford, BMW, Hyundai/Kia take market share than VW.

I don't want to see Porsches that share platforms with other VW Group brands (especially Porsche sportscars), but this is already happening and is going to intensify as they are more deeply integrated with VW.

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore GS/E View Post
    Well... as much as I dislike Audi, they are right about this one. Audi NEEDS a big GT-type coupe to compete head-on with Merc's CL. The A5 is too small to do the job. Also, it couldn't fit the W12/V12 that people are looking for in that class.
    I'd be happy. Maybe it would force BMW to build something to compete. The 6er is cool, and all, but it isn't big enough to be CL competition.
    This isn't Audi's (or BMW's for that matter) territory, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I don't want to see Porsches that share platforms with other VW Group brands (especially Porsche sportscars), but this is already happening and is going to intensify as they are more deeply integrated with VW.
    Well, that has happened since... forever...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    This isn't Audi's (or BMW's for that matter) territory, though.
    Moar luxury coupes is better. Moar is always better.
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore GS/E View Post
    Moar luxury coupes is better. Moar is always better.
    I agree- Porsche needs a new 928 and Lexus/Toyota never did the SC300 justice with the SC430.

And of course BMW needs a new 8 Series and a new halo (super?) car.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    I agree- Porsche needs a new 928
    This seems like a big gap in Porsche's lineup.

Thread Information