Thread: BMW i3 and i8 Concepts launched ...

BMW i3 and i8 Concepts launched ...

BMW have provided a peak into the future with the launch of the i8 Concept and i3 Concept. Part of the new 'i' sub-brand, these two environmentally friendly machines will enter production in 2014 and 2013 respectively.
    The most exciting of the two is the strikingly styled i8, which will be the sub-brand's top of the line model. The plug-in hybrid's drivetrain consists of a 1.5 litre turbocharged three cylinder petrol engine that drives the rear wheels and an electric motor that is connected to the front wheels. The combined output of the two is a very impressive 349 bhp and 550 Nm of torque. The car can also run on the electric motor alone, when running in the city for the example, with a range of around 35 km (20 miles).
    Targeted specifically for driving through cities or densely populated areas is the more compact i3 Concept. The small hatchback features a single electric motor that is connected to the rear axle, continuing BMW's rich tradition of rear-wheel drive vehicles. At peak power it produces 170 bhp and 250 Nm of torque. Under normal driving conditions the range is around 150 km (93 miles). Using a high-speed charger the car's batteries can be charged to 80% of their capacity within an hour.

Enjoy the links:

2011 BMW i3 Concept - Images, Specifications and Information

2011 BMW i8 Concept - Images, Specifications and Information
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I've just thought that it will be ironic that BMW is introducing front wheel drive cars that will still be considered the ultimate driving machine, yet the electric city car is rear wheel drive.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

The i3 batteries can be charged to 80% of their capacity within an hour, thats amazing, great for the city.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Thread Information