Thread: Corvette aluminum v8

Corvette aluminum v8

Does anyone know how much power a stock aluminum engine block found in a corvette c5 or zo6 can handle. Some ford fan was trying to tell me that his mustang could handle a lot more power than a corvette because it has a steel block, while the vette's block is aluminum. Of course you have to take into acount the larger diplacement of the corvette engine also. I just couldnt tell if this theory was bogus or not. Ive seen lingenfelter corvettes with over 700 horsepower, but those have a different engine (427), and it is probably a steel block. Ive also seen other corvettes with 1000 horsepower, but there was no mention of whether or not they were still using the stock aluminum block. If someone could shed some light on this subject it would be greatly appreciated.

hey, i have the DTM doco on last years GumBall300 USA rally and the car that came 1st in their featrure section was a 800hp vette based on a stock allloy engine. this thing is something to behold....

have the vid and am willong to share if u have a way...
    "WHEN IT'S GAME TIME, IT'S PAIN TIME TIME BABY! WOOOH" ~ Terry Tate

sorry, i am pretty sure this was a c5 (could be wrong)
    "WHEN IT'S GAME TIME, IT'S PAIN TIME TIME BABY! WOOOH" ~ Terry Tate

Most 427's used in current tuner Vette's use the C5-R block which is aluminum and can easily handle 700+hp. The stock 5.7l block could probably handle 600-700 hp reliably.

Firstly it would be a cast iron block, not steel. FPV claim that the cast iron 5.4L block they use is about 3 times stronger than an equivalent alluminium block, and people elsewhere have prefered cast iron blocks over alluminium blocks because if their higher strengths, but it seems the standard 'Vette's alluminium block can handle enough not to worry about it too much
    I am the Stig

I was recently at a Corvette show at the Corvette Assembly Plant/Museum in Bowling Green, KY. On hand was a C5 Corvette with an all aluminum V8 pumping out 1020HP to the wheels. The car was naturally aspirated and had 16.2:1 compression. It was an all out beast and I beheld it driving through the parking lot, so I know the aluminum block will hold well over 700hp. The engine itself I think had been bored and stroked to 488c.i.
    2005 Victory Red Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab
    2002 Concord Purple Harley Sportster 883XLC

"I think the Vietnam war is nothing more than the white people sending the black people to fight the yellow people in order to secure a nation stolen from the red people"-Anonymous

UCP's Biggest Chevrolet Corvette fan.

thanks for all of that

you'll worry about the internals long before you have to worry about teh block itself when it comes to the LS1 or the LS6. its pretty much a non issue if the car is setup right
    UCP's Most Hardcore Burro!

Being human explains everything but excuses nothing

Thread Information