Thread: New V8-engined Bentley Continental GT and Grand-Am version of Audi R8 ...

New V8-engined Bentley Continental GT and Grand-Am version of Audi R8 ...

Ahead of the official launch at next months North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) in Detroit, Bentley have today released details of the V8-engined version of the Continental GT. This version was already announced when the second generation W12 engined Continental debuted in Paris back in 2010. The engine, available in both the GT coupe and GTC convertible body-styles, is similar to that of the latest Audi S8. Displacing just under four litres, it is equipped with two turbos and direct fuel injection. Capable of producing 500 bhp, it can also run on four cylinders to reduce emissions and consumption at times when not all that power is required. Just like its larger engined siblings, the Continental GT V8 features all-wheel drive, complete with a new 8-speed gearbox. Among the visual cues that set the V8 apart from the W12 are the 'figure eight' shaped exhaust tips.
    During a two-day test at Daytona International Speedway last week, Audi's latest racing car, the R8 Grand-Am, made its public debut. With official test driver Frank Stippler at the wheel, the main purpose of this outing was to create a base setup for the Audi's customers. Compared to the R8 LMS Ultra on which it is based, the Grand-Am specification R8 sports considerably smaller wings to comply with the stricter regulations. Audi have supplied an engine to Grand-Am's governing body, who will use the results achieved in various tests to establish the minimum weight and maximum power the car will be allowed to run in the races. The R8 Grand-Am is scheduled to make its competition debut during the 50th edition of the Daytona 24 Hours at the end of January.

Enjoy the links:

2012 Audi R8 Grand-Am - Images, Specifications and Information

2012 Bentley Continental GT V8 - Images, Specifications and Information
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I have to say I think it would be cooler if the V8 was based on the Bentley V8, not the Audi V8. BTW, I haven't seen a cutaway of the Audi V8 powertrain before. It's very interesting to look at many of the design choices they make due to building cars around what is, effectively a FWD, longitudinal type drive train. I don't mean that it's a FWD car but that Audi put the engine in front of the axle line.

Notice how they put the torque converter behind the axle and also put all the cam drives at the back vs front of the motor in order to keep the length as short as possible.

Cool stuff.

this is an absolute tragedy. Why are Volkswagen trying to turn Bentley into some eco-friendly hippie brand? First the flex-fuel and now a 5.o? Next thing you know, there's gonna be a hybrid Bentley.

Buckingham Palace with solar panels.

And the award for overreaction of the year goes to...

Though I wouldn't be surprised to see a hybrid Bentley.. developed specifically for the US market.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

A V8 Bentley, Doesn’t sound too bad. I like the all-wheel drive, now bentley can brake a another ice speed record.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by thebrochureman View Post
    A V8 Bentley, Doesn’t sound too bad. I like the all-wheel drive, now bentley can brake a another ice speed record.
    Exactly. I can see the meeting at Bentley's HQ.

"- We have to beat those finnish blokes with the german estate car. We can use the new Continental"

"- But, why don't we, instead of using the 12 cylinder version, use the much more smaller and much less powerful new V8 from the said german car. This way, having its engine nothing can go wrong."

"- But our car weights as much as a Catholic Church! Why not instead go there and touch them inappropriately?"

"- That sounds like a great idea! Let's go and do it!"

*Disclaimer: No speed records were harmed during the making of this farce.

Probably.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information