Thread: The high-tech 1994 Mercedes-Benz C-Class DTM ...

The high-tech 1994 Mercedes-Benz C-Class DTM ...

This weekend Jamie Green won the final DTM race of the season, which inspired us to look back at a golden era of the German touring car championship; the mid-1990s. Between 1993 and 1996, the series used the so-called 'FIA Class 1' regulations, which gave manufacturers considerable freedom in both aerodynamics and electronics. For the 1994 season, Mercedes-Benz introduced the C-Class DTM, which was based on the recently introduced 'W202' road car. It was powered by a very compact yet powerful V6 and incorporated many of the electronic tricks that had been outlawed that year in Formula 1 like ABS and traction control. Fielding six cars for a squad of very quick drivers, the C-Class took on defending champions Alfa Romeo with great verve. Even though the Italians had a one year head-start with their 155 V6 TI DTM, Mercedes-Benz driver Klaus Ludwig managed to claim the title. Bernd Schneider repeated that feat in the following year but by 1996, Opel had caught on. It would be the final DTM season until the arrival of the current formula in 2000.
    Our feature car was raced in the 1994 season by Ellen Lohr, who was the team-mate of champion Klaus Ludwig. In recent years, the highly complicated machine was meticulously restored by Dawn Treader Performance. We captured the striking machine at the 2010 Goodwood Festival of Speed, where it was one of the fastest cars up the hill.

Enjoy the links:

1994 Mercedes-Benz C-Class DTM - Images, Specifications and Information
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Holy macaroni! this looks better than my car which is a 2008 model.lol i love reading about mercedes please post latest news about 2012 models/concept cars etc etc! it looks good to be honest when turned into a race car. i wanna own one but prices for benz parts are way too expensive.
    Last edited by rreginald; 01-27-2012 at 11:14 PM.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Very nice, I never realized they raced this generation - overshadowed by its predecessor?

I'd love to go to Goodwood.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Thread Information