Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the oldest car brand?¿?¿?¿?¿??

the oldest car brand?¿?¿?¿?¿??

do any of you know which is the oldes car brand of all?¿?¿?
    I know there ae a few that have passed the 100 years, but shich is the oldest, and how ol dis it?¿?¿?

sorry for the writing, I did it really fast

Daimler Benz I believe, started in early 1890's? I'm not totally sure about that, but I think it did make the first car...

well it all depends... i mean, porsche have been around for ages, but not making cars, they made tractors, mitsubishi made ships etc and BMW made planes. possibly ford, the model T was the first production car? so logicaly it makes sence to think they were the first, BUT then again, i could be completely wrong....
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

daimeller benz, ford and fiat ( i think ) are very old makes .... but i don't knhow whats the oldest
    Fun is not a straight line

UCP's only lancia lover ....

I thought Ford made the first car Or was that the first production line produced car?

Quote Originally Posted by CoTTerik
    I thought Ford made the first car Or was that the first production line produced car?
    The Ford model T was the first mass-produced production-line manufactured car. Not the first ever car by a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by <<CAR EXPERT>>
    do any of you know which is the oldes car brand of all?¿?¿?
    I know there ae a few that have passed the 100 years, but shich is the oldest, and how ol dis it?¿?¿?
    Benz made the first successful car I think, a three-wheeler. There were earlier 'horseless carriages' which were steampowered which blew up and stuff...

Considering you call yourself 'Car Expert', don't you think you should know this yourself?
    Cheers,
    -Ads

"We used to come down, doing about 180mph. We take off over the bridge and change down to 4th gear in the air. Go through the righthander with the car drifting, and let it swing out through the lefthander and then slide out to the wall, where we simply stopped it with a flick of the wrists"
    -Vic Elford, on Maison Blanche in a Porsche 917

UCP's Most Hardcore Armchair BTCC Fan & Anthony Reid Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz
    ... BMW made planes ...
    I don't think they made planes, they just manufactured aero engines didn't they?
    Cheers,
    -Ads

"We used to come down, doing about 180mph. We take off over the bridge and change down to 4th gear in the air. Go through the righthander with the car drifting, and let it swing out through the lefthander and then slide out to the wall, where we simply stopped it with a flick of the wrists"
    -Vic Elford, on Maison Blanche in a Porsche 917

UCP's Most Hardcore Armchair BTCC Fan & Anthony Reid Supporter

Mercedes-Benz was the first. The Benz 3-wheeler patented on Jan. 29, 1886, as a "vehicle with gas engine operation." Carl Benz received patent DRP 37435, which is considered the birth certificate of the automobile and the beginning of Mercedes-Benz. However, after its first drive on July 3, 1886, the No. 1 Patent Motor Car did nothing but gather dust in the backyard of Benz & Cie in Mannheim, Germany. It wasn't until 20 years later, in 1906, that Carl Benz had the original vehicle restored and donated to the Deutches Museum in Munich, where it still sits today.

Source: http://popularmechanics.com/automoti...B1/print.phtml

1880 Gilgen

While this car was a steam carrage the cars story was first published in london in 1904...the gilgen stands as Australias first self propelled road vehical and i quote my source "further more it proves that motoring in Australia streatches back to the days before Daimler and Benz"
    In 1904,14 years after members of the British royal family had visited Australia, a member of the royal party, Mr C.A. Blake, related that they had visited a residence near Adelade where a Swiss born engineer named Gilgen showed them his homemade steamer. It had three wheels, could seat nine people and was powerd by a 5 HP engine driveing a three speed gearbox. The top speed was given as 32 km/h. According to Blake the authorities had orderd the vehical off the roads because it frightened horses.
    Little is known about C.A Blake it seems that he was an Australian resident who owned a Thomson steam car shortly after the turn of the centuary and drove it a great distance.
    His intrest in cars adds someweight to his description of the Gilgen but unforntunately no photographs of the vehical are known to exist.
    While not a liveing manufactuor I had this information lieing around and thought this would be a good place to put it

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz
    well it all depends... i mean, porsche have been around for ages, but not making cars, they made tractors, BMW made planes.
    Lamborghini made tractors not porsche
    BMW and Rolls-Royce made airplanes engines

ford t model is first mass-production car - it was produced in factory 24h per day - on three shifts. it didn't have any customizations - even the body was always black. i've got some other photos of that old merc but i cant find them so i'll post them later. porsche made tractors as well to 60's
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by SL500
    Lamborghini made tractors not porsche
    So those tractor-like things that Porsche built, what do you call them?
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by dydzi
    even the body was always black.
    appretly that wasnt true...and that was what i though too given the quote by henery ford "you can have it any colour you want as long as its black" but apprently in later years the pallet incresed to grey (what apprently the first ones where) and red....wether its true or not....

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    So those tractor-like things that Porsche built, what do you call them?
    Algaier
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information