Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Volkswagen Golf (VII-5G) 2012-

Were not the MkV and MkVI basically the same, and just VW window dressing there existing a new generation when the MkV did no sell well?

Some detail changes, some styling changes, and powertrain option changes...They also introduced some electronic bits that may or may not be available in US/Canada....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Same platform though? That to me is more like an extensive refresh than a new generation.

MkVI is the best looker of all methinks.

Yeah all of the so called PQ35...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Soon enough, VW will synergize to the point of having 3 platforms for their 30 brands and 400 vehicles!

Kitdy is excited about this car because it means he can buy a Mark V with the new Mark VI front fascia and a pathetically-defective head gasket.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Kitdy is excited about this car because it means he can buy a Mark V with the new Mark VI front fascia and a pathetically-defective head gasket.
    Fabricado no Brasil!

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    predictable response is predictable....

Lighter, bigger and more economical....thats better in my book...

Waiting for the GTI, currently this is pretty convincing as far as trade-in prospect goes...
    Oh, I'm sure it'll be good and very possibly better than the outgoing model, altough torsion beam rear suspension for versions under 150bhp is Volkswagen trying to fool us (and they will), and not sure bigger is necessarily better (been driving the XF lately and in our tiny villages and roads it is positively mammoth-like...), but it's just that all those new VW (and there have been quite a lot this year (up, Citygo, Mii, Rapid, Toledo, Golf, Leon, A3,...) feel like variations on a theme. A bit like designed to fill a certain niche in the market not designed because they wanted to make an "automobile".
    Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    Nine to eight to a six to a six to a five to a FOUR year life span? I can't imagine designing this car is inexpensive. VW shareholders can't be happy about that.
    Apparently the V and VI were quite expensive to build, hence this new clean sheet design after a relatively short lifespan.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Soon enough, VW will synergize to the point of having 3 platforms for their 30 brands and 400 vehicles!
    Actually that is the point....VW designed the MQB, for transverse engine car. Audi is doing a equivalent thing for a longitudinal engine car, and Porsche is responsible for a mid-engine platform. The 3 will basically underpin every single VAG vehicle....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    altough torsion beam rear suspension for versions under 150bhp is Volkswagen trying to fool us .
    Where did they say that?
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Where did they say that?
    they did not....perhaps on purpose?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Actually that is the point....VW designed the MQB, for transverse engine car. Audi is doing a equivalent thing for a longitudinal engine car, and Porsche is responsible for a mid-engine platform. The 3 will basically underpin every single VAG vehicle....
    I think the Audi A3 uses the same MQB platform as the Golf. It will also find its way into Skoda and Seat cars eventually.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Where did they say that?
    I haven't read the entire press release, but they've done the same with the new A3 and new Leon, I doubt the Golf will be any different.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I think the Audi A3 uses the same MQB platform as the Golf. It will also find its way into Skoda and Seat cars eventually.
    The new Leon which uses the new platform has alredy been unveiled. I guess the Octavia will soon be shown to the world as well.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I haven't read the entire press release, but they've done the same with the new A3 and new Leon, I doubt the Golf will be any different.
    Apparently I was slitghly wrong, it will have two different rear axles, but the torsion beam is limited to versions with 110bhp or less (basically the 1.2 TSi and 1.6 TDi engined cars). In the Leon this limit raises to 150bhp (basically everything except the 1.8 TSi and 2.0 TDI).
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information